How to play along at 50's Prime Time??

Ms. Tinkerbell

Original Poster
After looking over the menus several times and reading different comments, we decided to cancel our ADR for Sci-Fi and make it for 50's instead. We're spending 2 days at MGM, but on the other day we are doing a Fantasmic dinner package so unfortunately can't do Sci-Fi and 50's both on this trip. I've read that it's lots of fun if you play along with them. We've never been there and as I want it to be fun and get the full experience, could you please give me some samples/ideas? It'll be me, my 10yr son and my 12 yr daughter. My son is very outspoken and not shy at all, which I've read is a good thing for this particular restaurant :) It sounds really fun, but I don't want to look/sound crazy by doing the wrong thing :lol: Thanks!

mouselvrmom

The prime time cafe is my favorite restaurant! I don't think that you can do the wrong thing! Your server will probably take cues from you and if you want to play along they will probably play more with you. On our last trip we didn't really get played with too much. But we made a big deal of the boys having to set the table, so my husband and son got up and walked aroung handing out napkins to everyone. Also, they made a big deal of how my husband ate all of his food, Aunt Sue even called another server over to comment on how he licked his plate clean & what patterns he made in the plate, they called him an artist. That was pretty much it this time, but Aunt Sue was still a good server, she had some good conversations with us.

slappy magoo

Sorry to say, it's a bit of a crap shoot. Some servers are more prone to "play" with you if you express a willingness to play along. Others are more inclined to zero in on the shy and quiet and gently embarrass them into loosening up. In fact, those servers tend to loathe customers who walk in with a self-drawn bulls-eye on their heads, the ones practically screaming "Make fun of me, please!" Kinda like the guy in the comedy club who keeps shouting out random topics to the comic onstage, thinking that he;s somehow "helping." Some servers will stay in character all of the time no matter what, and others just won't. Last time we were there, our server was young, first-generation Asian, and spoke English as a second language. To quote the brilliant sage "Not that there's anything wrong with that..." but our server probably never saw any of the shows the restaurant uses as a template, and had to concentrate very hard on his English just to get the order right. If memory serves, he was there on a CM exchange program. Great guy, wanted to do his job well, and as far serving goes, he did a fantastic job, but he was not a performer and didn't seem to understand the dynamic of the restaurant. My wife and I took solace in watching other people get goofed on by their servers.

My advice is to be as friendly as you would towards any server, and treat them a little more familiar than you might normally (after all, they are supposed to be your mom/dad/brother/sister/crazy aunt/etc.). If they have an acting bone in their body, let them do their thing and then roll with their punches. After all, they ARE the pros and do this for a living. If they aren't performers and you try to force them into being performers it'll just be awkward for everyone (I know, you'd figure anyone working there would be a bit of a ham, but it's not always the case, to paraphrase ol' Rummy, sometimes you open a restaurant with the CMs you have, not necessarily the CMs you want).

Ms. Tinkerbell

Original Poster
Thanks! I appreciate it! We'll do our best to take our cue from our server. My daughter and I are pretty shy, but I want to make an effort not to be and play along if they are.

yazmin182

From my personal experience, when I went last August, we were at MGM once and I couldn't decide between Sci-Fi, 50's, or Hollywood & Vine. We ended up going to with H&V for the Fantasmic Package, the food was good but not great and I don't think it was worth it for the Fantasmic tickets. I would have much rather went to Sci-fi or 50's prime time cafe.

Also, with those tickets, the seats are in the corner and not in the center at all. It doesn't really matter because you can still see everything, but I would rather go to a different restaurant than go to H&V again.

To me, 50's and sci-fi seem like a much more memorable experience and they're really special restaurants (theme and experience), but H&V is just a regular buffet!

Either way, have fun!

flynnies

Dining Plan & Restaurants

Just got back from vacation on 1/24 and I don't think we will do the dining plan again. It is simply way too much food to eat. The kids didn't get enough of a selection unless they want to eat chicken tenders or macaroni everday, twice a day. They always messed up orders. Food missing or given the wrong food. The quality of the food was somewhat disappointing also. We got the distinct feeling that since the waiters/waitresses didn't have to "work" for their tip, we never really got the performances at the 50's Prime Time although the atmosphere was cool. Our server at the Coral Reef was snitty and just not very friendly.

I would recommend the Sci-Fi over the 50's anytime. Better food and the kids loved the drive-in. Another meal that will be a must in the future is Cinderella's Royal Table. I am the only girl in a family of boys and all of the kids loved the whole experience. The Crystal Palace was another nice dining experience as well as Cape May Cafe.

Overall, I feel it is not worth doing the dining plan again. Just too much food.:king:

hcswingfield

50's Prime Time is one of those "do every trip" experiences for us. It is by far my favorite restuarant at the Studios. My experience at Sci-Fi was that the service was slow and that the food was not well prepared.

As far as "getting into the experience" that will depend on who your waiter or waitress is. LIke others have said, you don't need to force it, just have fun and play along and let them be the comedians. But you will have a good time regardless. I recommend the fried chicken or the meat loaf. Yummy!!!!

disneygirl746kt

I did 50s about 3-4 years ago over spring break and the waitress was fantastic....the table across from my brother and me (it was a family of 4- mom, dad, brother, and sister) the brother had to go to the bathroom so he just got up like you would anywhere else...when he came back he was in for a big surprise....(and the surprise didn't involve happy birthday either) and he turned so red, and I felt so bad for him....towards the end of their meal, the waitress came out with the birthday sundae (which is huge...you can't eat it by yourself) and it seemed like they really enjoyed the "scenes" that happened with others in the room playing along as well.

I also had my own experince, but I can't remember if it was that time as well or if it was before or after the one listed above. I really had to go to the bathroom and I got yelled at...and I'm a very sensitive person...I was almost in tears, but the waitress realized it and started telling me that others had done the same thing...then another guy did the same mistake as me about a half hour after I did (he wasn't there when I got yelled at, so he sure didn't know what was coming to him)

Dagger

I also had my own experince, but I can't remember if it was that time as well or if it was before or after the one listed above. I really had to go to the bathroom and I got yelled at...and I'm a very sensitive person...I was almost in tears, but the waitress realized it and started telling me that others had done the same thing...then another guy did the same mistake as me about a half hour after I did (he wasn't there when I got yelled at, so he sure didn't know what was coming to him)

do you mean like asking permission? i don't know if i'm cut out for this place :zipit:

lilclerk

Just got back from vacation on 1/24 and I don't think we will do the dining plan again. It is simply way too much food to eat. The kids didn't get enough of a selection unless they want to eat chicken tenders or macaroni everday, twice a day. They always messed up orders. Food missing or given the wrong food. The quality of the food was somewhat disappointing also. We got the distinct feeling that since the waiters/waitresses didn't have to "work" for their tip, we never really got the performances at the 50's Prime Time although the atmosphere was cool. Our server at the Coral Reef was snitty and just not very friendly.

I just got back on 2/8 and we used the dining plan as well. I'd heard other people saying they got less-than-average service, but we had the complete opposite experience! We had nothing but amazing waiters/waitresses. They all helped us out with the dining plan (we were new to it,) gave suggestions, often sat down and talked with us about our trip, and our 50s waitress (Aunt Cindy) and her "sister" with the families next to us were hilarious. We usually left a bigger tip on the tables because the service was just so good, the CMs made our whole trip better.
I'll agree that it is a LOT of food, but the service you get is probably hit-or-miss.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom