How strict is Disney about the pace requirements?

Wilt Dasney

So is it better for me to try and work up to running a full mile or two with no walk breaks, or FIRST work up to run/walk/run up to the thirteen miles and then increase run time?

Tomorrow will be a 4 mile run/walk/run. That is my longest distance so far. We are trying to add a mile each week until we get to 13. Then from there we can improve how much of that 13 we run. Does this sounds like the logical plan? Or is it best to get to where I can fully run the 4 miles etc.

I am so new to all of this!

I'm also new to it, but I started with walk/runs over short distances, then worked up to running 3 miles with Couch to 5K. I felt like running a full 5K was a good first goal.

Since then, I've been gradually tacking on running distance with the goal of running a full 10K. Best case scenario, I'll be able to run the full half marathon distance in 7 months. I know that isn't necessary, but that's my goal.

I don't know if there's a "right" way or not, but all the advice I've found online seems to point toward running short distances to start, then gradually increasing your running base.

Phonedave

So is it better for me to try and work up to running a full mile or two with no walk breaks, or FIRST work up to run/walk/run up to the thirteen miles and then increase run time?

Tomorrow will be a 4 mile run/walk/run. That is my longest distance so far. We are trying to add a mile each week until we get to 13. Then from there we can improve how much of that 13 we run. Does this sounds like the logical plan? Or is it best to get to where I can fully run the 4 miles etc.

I am so new to all of this!

You should be doing a number of short runs per week, and then one long run.

Try to run each as far as you can, but if you have to walk thats cool too.

I haven't run in like 15 days, just getting lazy and busy. But I was running 3,5,3, and 10 mile runs each week. I'll pick up running next week again, and most likely do 3,5,3, and 7 and then ratchet it up each week from then in preparation for the Wine and Dine half in October. After I get back to 3,5,3, 10 I'll move to something like 4,5,4,11 then 4,5,4,12 then 4,6,4,12 finally 4,6,4,13 and keep it moving up because the Marathon is in January.

-dave

sweetpee_1993

You should be doing a number of short runs per week, and then one long run.

Try to run each as far as you can, but if you have to walk thats cool too.

I haven't run in like 15 days, just getting lazy and busy. But I was running 3,5,3, and 10 mile runs each week. I'll pick up running next week again, and most likely do 3,5,3, and 7 and then ratchet it up each week from then in preparation for the Wine and Dine half in October. After I get back to 3,5,3, 10 I'll move to something like 4,5,4,11 then 4,5,4,12 then 4,6,4,12 finally 4,6,4,13 and keep it moving up because the Marathon is in January.

-dave

I'm glad I'm not the only person struck by the lazies and life getting busy. Since my overheating incident I've not run even once. That incident really threw me and I felt the effects of it for quite a while. I overheated several more times after just working in the garden for short spurts. :hurl:

I need dedication & focus. Can someone come kick me out of the bed at 5 a.m.? :snore:

lukacseven

I'm not sure how strict Disney is regarding the precise pacing requirements, but I've witnessed people getting "swept" off the course. I was heading back on the half course and around mile 10 there were still people at mile 2 who were just getting picked up in vans.

Erin_Akey

Original Poster
When I do a realy fast walk and am not even jogging, my paces are in the 15.3 range. So it sounds like some people can even walk the whole thing at a fast clip and be okay. Has anyone ever seen a walker finish? So that tells me if I can run at least HALF of the half, i should be allowed to finish??? Right?

(can you tell my BIG goal is just to finish?LOL)

lukacseven

I've seen and heard of people walking the entire race (half) and finishing comfortably under 3 hours. Same goes for the marathon - people walk the entire race and have no trouble finishing. I can definitely be done - don't worry so much about it. Sounds like your goal is to have fun? Don't forget to bring a camera - tons of photo ops.

dreamfinder

When I do a realy fast walk and am not even jogging, my paces are in the 15.3 range. So it sounds like some people can even walk the whole thing at a fast clip and be okay. Has anyone ever seen a walker finish? So that tells me if I can run at least HALF of the half, i should be allowed to finish??? Right?

(can you tell my BIG goal is just to finish?LOL)

Most people can easily walk a 16 minute mile. The only tough part is keeping that pace for the whole distance. Plenty of walkers will finish towards the end.

fmingo36

Chances are you'll be in the last corral since you don't have finish tine to submit. There are ALOT of walkers in the last corral. Someone else mentioned it in an earlier post, try and get to the front of your corral, that will give you a little wiggle room.
Also you'll probably run at a faster pace than you train. Once the race starts the adrenaline kicks in and you feel good for awhile. The first 5 miles of the race fly by.

But also remember there will be plenty of things that will add time as well-pictures with characters, stopping for some of the on-course entertainment, water and potty breaks.

You should be fine. You have plenty of time to train. Don't worry about being able to run the whole 13.1 miles. I ran my first race ever the Princess 1/2 in March and had never ran more than 10.5 miles before the race. I was VERY sick that day of the race and my knee gave out at mile 8-I still finished in 3 hours. YOU CAN DO IT!

Erin_Akey

Original Poster
Chances are you'll be in the last corral since you don't have finish tine to submit. There are ALOT of walkers in the last corral. Someone else mentioned it in an earlier post, try and get to the front of your corral, that will give you a little wiggle room.
Also you'll probably run at a faster pace than you train. Once the race starts the adrenaline kicks in and you feel good for awhile. The first 5 miles of the race fly by.

But also remember there will be plenty of things that will add time as well-pictures with characters, stopping for some of the on-course entertainment, water and potty breaks.

You should be fine. You have plenty of time to train. Don't worry about being able to run the whole 13.1 miles. I ran my first race ever the Princess 1/2 in March and had never ran more than 10.5 miles before the race. I was VERY sick that day of the race and my knee gave out at mile 8-I still finished in 3 hours. YOU CAN DO IT!

So there is stuff to do along the route? Can those who have run this one tell me what kinds of things to expect and do they allow extra time for these things? Did you carry a small camera or something?? DETAILS PLEASE! :D

fmingo36

So there is stuff to do along the route? Can those who have run this one tell me what kinds of things to expect and do they allow extra time for these things? Did you carry a small camera or something?? DETAILS PLEASE! :D

Well there are plenty of photo opportunities along the way. And the lines can get long for some of the rarer characters or some more common ones but in different attire (Pluto was in his astronaut outfit neat the Astro-Orbiter). So make sure to take a camera. Last year I received a disposable camera in my "goodie-bag" but I ran with a small digital.

As for entertainment, there were different bands set up along the course. TTC had some AMAZING japanese drummers.

Disney does not allow extra time for these things. Your time starts when your tag crosses the starting line and ends once your tag crosses the finish line.

If you look at trip reports, look for Hollybelle's report. She does a fantastic job detailing the race and has many pictures included as well.

Erin_Akey

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.....here is my other "issue" - I have the bladder of a GNAT. It about KILLED me to go 6 miles Wednesday and not stop for a restroom break.

Are there several places to stop aong the way in case I drink too much water?:confused:

I am so afraid all of these things will slow me to slower than the pace requirement!

fmingo36

There are port-o-potties along the route. You can also use restrooms in the parks themselves and there were plenty of people just running off the course and squatting down and doing their business.

dreamfinder

There are port-o-potties along the route. You can also use restrooms in the parks themselves and there were plenty of people just running off the course and squatting down and doing their business.

Ayup. Each water station/first aid spot usually has a port o pottie or two a least, and some places have a big line of them. Also, you will see plenty of people d__________g off in the woods. Mostly guys, but a few women as well. Especially on the parts of the course that are on completely closed/backstage roads. It shouldn't add to much time as long as you aren't wearing anything that takes a while to get off to go. So a big fancy multi layer costume will cause issues, but normal running shorts/skorts/tights/kilts/etc shouldn't be a problem.

Erin_Akey

Original Poster
Ayup. Each water station/first aid spot usually has a port o pottie or two a least, and some places have a big line of them. Also, you will see plenty of people d__________g off in the woods. Mostly guys, but a few women as well. Especially on the parts of the course that are on completely closed/backstage roads. It shouldn't add to much time as long as you aren't wearing anything that takes a while to get off to go. So a big fancy multi layer costume will cause issues, but normal running shorts/skorts/tights/kilts/etc shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for this info!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
My question is - are there sweep points, or is there a rolling caravan of buses that follow and pick up those that are below the pace?

lukacseven

It looked to me like there were several vans cleaning up cups/clothes/trash along the course and a few of the vans followed slowly behind until they reached an aid station. There, the participnats are held up and loaded into the vans and taken to the finish line.

Ariel484

As far as potty issues...can anyone recommend good park bathrooms along the courses to use (convenient/larger capacity ones)? I'm sure the port-o-potty lines get huge since they are right there by the aid/water stations...

...plus, let's face it, I'm going to put in a serious effort to avoid those port-o-potties if I can help it :D

MKCP 1985

My question is - are there sweep points, or is there a rolling caravan of buses that follow and pick up those that are below the pace?

For the half marathon, there were at least two, maybe 3 fixed sweep points before the Magic Kingdom. The bike riders would tell people that they need to reach those points before whatever happened or they would be picked up. I recall there was plenty of notice so that if you were capable of picking up the pace, you would have every opportunity to beat the sweep.

You leave the park and the next mile marker is mile 7 and there is a sweep point there. Afterwards, the bus pretty much tracked the slowest stragglers along the route that takes you behind the Grand Floridian for a ways and if someone gave up, they could get on the bus, but weren't required to do so if they wanted to continue to try and compete until the next sweep point.

dreamfinder

There are definite sweep points. If you have issues they will get you one a vehicle as soon as possible, but there are points where they will block the road with bikes, and anyone behind them is swept.

As far as potty issues...can anyone recommend good park bathrooms along the courses to use (convenient/larger capacity ones)? I'm sure the port-o-potty lines get huge since they are right there by the aid/water stations...

...plus, let's face it, I'm going to put in a serious effort to avoid those port-o-potties if I can help it :D

It depends on which race you are referring to. For the January 1/2 course, there aren't many. I seem to recall people running off at the TTC, otherwise within MK maybe the ones by Auntie Gravities Smoothies, or the breezeway between Adventureland/Frontierland. There is always a chance that the ones in park at that time are being cleaned so they should be viewed more as a last ditch than a planned stop. The port-o-potties are really bad at the start cause everyone is trying to get one last stop in, but the ones on course aren't usually too bad. Many guys just use the trees, which helps to cut down on lines, but if you watch your fluids you can control your needs fairly well.

The full obviously has more since you hit all 4 parks. Also, AK/DHS are open by the time most people run through them so the restrooms should be open as well.

The princess uses the same half course, Wine & Dine is hard to say since they haven't released the map yet and the description is a bit ambiguous.

Ariel484

Thanks dreamfinder, I was referring to the Princess Half course (and possibly the full marathon in the future) :wave: Might have been helpful if I'd clarified that! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom