How safe is Space Mountain?

KanakoS

Space is S A F E trust me i went in 1995 when i was 4 at DL, 1998 at WDW when i was 8, 2004 and 2007 at WDW and countless times at DL and never once has it been unsafe

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Space is S A F E trust me i went in 1995 when i was 4 at DL, 1998 at WDW when i was 8, 2004 and 2007 at WDW and countless times at DL and never once has it been unsafe
So riding it 4 different years and at another park deems it safe?

KanakoS

So riding it 4 different years and at another park deems it safe?
Well every time I ride it always seems safe. I follow the safety instructions if that helps. A lot of incidents on rides are caused by people forgetting to follow the rules. And if there's an accident and people aren't following the rules, they could die.

Seabasealpha1

I did ride Space Mountain at DL recently. There is a world of difference in the two. I can say that those differences do make me question when they’re gonna do something major about Florida’s version. It’s starting to look/feel/operate a little ghetto...

WDWVolFan

I once had a bus driver tell me that Space Mountain was used by NASA in secret as part of astronaut training. They would fly astronauts in and do their thing after park closes...

I told him that I’m a space buff and that he was full of it. He was not happy with me telling him he was wrong.

Driver

I once had a bus driver tell me that Space Mountain was used by NASA in secret as part of astronaut training. They would fly astronauts in and do their thing after park closes...

I told him that I’m a space buff and that he was full of it. He was not happy with me telling him he was wrong.
pfft ..... there you have it! He must have been a newbie or a temp. because a real dyed in the wool bus driver would have easily fabricated more information to support his story. But instead he showed weakness by letting you know he was upset..... amateur!!😂🤣

Driver

........ and another thing I wish you knew his name so I could notify management when his review is up. But then again somebody this bad may have already been fired. Because everybody knows they put the astronauts blindfolded on 7DMT first, and then quickly wisk them away to HS to go on Rockin Roller coaster (all the while in their space suits of course) so they can practice inversion. And this is all done in part with bus transportation to simulate that ride when they return to earth for debriefing. How do I know you ask? Because I have a buddy that drove "that" bus!!........ NOW that's a story!!!😜

HansGruber

This thread is adorable.

We're really debating and considering the safety of a 40+ year old ride that is owned and maintained by a billion dollar conglomerate?
Pretty sure they know what they're doing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, due to improper maintenance, which is a different animal entirely.
Which is run by a billion dollar conglomerate.

Just like they knew what they were doing when they added onboard audio in DL in 1996.

Or let Cynthia remove the banked turns on Rocket Rods.... but we digress.

Safety is up there with the best. But nothing is 100%.

Last edited:

graphite1326

Upstop wheels can fail and they have at Disney.
1531745878324.jpeg
Ya got me there. BTMR engine Upstop wheel did fail. A bolt loosened.

HansGruber

Which is run by a billion dollar conglomerate.

Just like they knew what they were doing when they added onboard audio in DL in 1998.

Or let Cynthia remove the banked turns on Rocket Rods.... but we digress.

Safety is up there with the best. But nothing is 100%.

I guess my point is, it's far more likely to have accidents because of improper maintenance rather than complete failures of rides which could have easily been prevented via routine inspections or maintenance.

Obviously, as improper maintenance incidents occur, check and balances are put in place to prevent them. But these types of incidents will most likely occur much later in the overall ride life-cycle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom