How old was the first time you took your child to WDW?

How old was your child the first time you took him/her to WDW?

• Less than 1 year old

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • 1-2 years old

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • 3-4 years old

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • 5-6 years old

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • 7-8 years old

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • 9-10 years old

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 11-12 years old

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • in their teens

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

durangojim

Original Poster
This is inspired by another thread but I'm curious how old your children were when you took them to WDW for the first time. Also I don't want to hear from people that don't have kids, I don't want hypotheticals, I'm talking about parents who actually have children and have taken them.:fork:

YankeeMouse

We dragged our youngest of three sons at 2 years of age, because his brothers were ages 7 and 9. The older boys called him "Bernie" all week from that move "Weekend at Bernie's" where the guy is dead but they prop him up and drag him everywhere! He took naps in the stroller A LOT, and in most of the photos, little "Bernie" is asleep in the stroller. The other two were 3 and 5 when we first took them and that seemed to be a good age. Incidentally, little "Bernie" is now 20, a commercial aviation student at a university, and went to a DVC with his friends last May and is going again this May. He has not lost the Magic!!

MarkeyMouse

My son was 4months old and we dragged him along because his sister was 5 she wanted to go desperately she had a fabulous time. We kept him in a great comfy carriage with a little fan, took lots of breaks, used those mommy headquater rooms(don't know their official names) in all the parks and took our snugli for nightime for parades and fireworks....it all worked out great , just took a little more planning.

maryszhi

i was a baby when we were living in california we went to disney land..same with disney world my dads friend lived near there. we stayed at contemporary.....disneyland hotel....i dont remember cause i was a baby but i have the pics and home movies to prove it lol

i remember ever trip since i was 4
good ole days.... like the peter pan quote i dont ever wanna grwo up.. i really dont disney is one of the few places i can be a kid again

catne

actually, my kids were...

4, 9, 13, and 14 1/2. The oldest had won a 3-night trip as an 11 yr.old (just him & one parent, which was me!) So he & I had such a great time, we dragged the whole family there a couple of years later. The 4 yr. old didn't actually remember much about the first family trip, but loved all things Disney ever after. We went again when she was 10, and she certainly remembered every minute of that trip. She's the baby of the family...we went last year to celebrate her high school graduation & getting a full tuition private college scholarship!!! And now we're going back again this year just because we LOVE Disney. All of my kids loved the place, at all the ages...and especially when they got old enough to wander some on their own (best part of staying in the World with teens...) Don't think it's a "waste" to take little ones as long as trip is planned with rest breaks & down time built in. And if your kids are spread out over 10 or more years, well you have to take little ones or your oldest grow up & move out before little ones are "old enough"!

shoppingnut

This is inspired by another thread but I'm curious how old your children were when you took them to WDW for the first time. Also I don't want to hear from people that don't have kids, I don't want hypotheticals, I'm talking about parents who actually have children and have taken them.:fork:

Excuse me, I have taken both my nephews at 2 yrs old and if it weren't for their aunt (ME) they wouldn't have gone. So, just because I don't have kids doesn't mean I haven't taken any.

3fordisney

We took our son when he was 2. He has been every year since. He is 5 now and his 4th trip will be in April. WDW is our big trip every year. We all love it. Our trips have adapted to our little one. We schedule a mid afternoon break (more so for my husband than our son :lol:) and we let go and let our son eat what he wants, when he wants. We make sure we all get to choose what we want to do and we all have a great time. As he has gotten older, it has gotten easier.

We went to WDW before we had our son. Now, we couldn't imagine going without him. When he saw Mickey for the first time, it was wonderful. The looks on the little one's face is priceless and we treasure every trip!

happymom52003

On our first trip with the kids the youngest was 12 months and the oldest was 4. Before we had kids, we thought we would wait until our youngest was older. But after our second was born, we decided we did not want our older child to miss out on those magical years by waiting....we wanted him to experience Disney as a preschooler. So we went with a 12 month old and four year old and had a blast. Our only regret was waiting as long as we did! We should have taken the older one before his little sister was born!

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
We took our son when he was just 2. He had a blast. I am not sure what he will remember, but living in the moment, it was so much fun for him. My daughter was 4. It was worth every penny. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

durangojim

Original Poster
Excuse me, I have taken both my nephews at 2 yrs old and if it weren't for their aunt (ME) they wouldn't have gone. So, just because I don't have kids doesn't mean I haven't taken any.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I meant people who don't have children or neices, nephews, godchildren, etc. but say things like I wouldn't take them until they're X years old.:wave:

mouselvrmom

I took my oldest daughter when she was 5, she was the only one we had at that time. Then, with the next two we took them at 23 months and 3. Then, the last one we took at 11 months. The more you have, the earlier you take them because the older ones want to go. :lol:

scpergj

Our oldest was 3 when we brought him, and our youngest was 2 1/2 for her first trip.

The kids don't remember much from those first trips, but the pictures, and the memories that my wife and I have make up for it!

Kevin

Most people think we are crazy but we took our third child when she was 3 months old. We had a blast with her and she was a great "travel baby". She was born April 2, and we took her during the 2 week of June. She will be 5 years old this April and she has been to WDW 10 times. When we talk about vacation, there is only one place she wants to go........Disney World. We've created a monster!?!?

Here's some pictures of her first trip. These made some wonderful memories!!!
DSCF0045.JPG

DSCF0036.JPG

DSCF00271.JPG

This last one was really special because the street performer (I wish I could remember her name), sang to her for a while and she just laid there and listened without moving. Times like this remind me while I love Disney so much!!!
DSCF0004.JPG

Thank for letting me share!!!!!

cooleo

My son was 20 months old on his first trip. We then took him @ 3 & he would point in a direction & say what he wanted to go see. We figured he must have remembered things from the trip @ 20 months. :shrug:

I took my son when when he was eleven months old for the first time.
We got to get his first hair cut at the Main Street Barber Shop.
It was a great trip.
He has since been down at 22 months old, 33 months old and we are going again in April and he will be 3 1/2 yeats old.
No time is to young as far as I am concerned, it just takes more planning and an understanding that you won't be able to do every single thing.

mousefan1972

Our daughter was 3 and our son was 13 months old for their first trip. This December will be their 5th trip and they will be 5 and 3 years old. Each vacation has been different as their ages change, but all have been wonderful. We're so glad we didn't "wait until they're older" to introduce them to Disney World. We would have missed out on truly spectacular family vacations.

KC82271

Only child - she went at 10 mos. because I have an addiction and couldn't wait. She was a 29 1/2 week preemie so she confined to the house from birth until April 1st that first year. We were on the plan April 27th. She has gone back at least once, and now twice a year since! After our April trip, she will have been there 4 times before the age of 3.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom