How old was the first time you took your child to WDW?

How old was your child the first time you took him/her to WDW?

• Less than 1 year old

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • 1-2 years old

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • 3-4 years old

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • 5-6 years old

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • 7-8 years old

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • 9-10 years old

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 11-12 years old

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • in their teens

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Fire1831

We celebrated my daughters 1st Birthday on her first trip. She may not remember it but she adores the pictures and is extra attached to Lilo & Stitch because of those pictures.:animwink:

Disneykidder

We took our son to WDW when he was 2 1/2 and then again at 3 1/2. We will be going this summer to DL and he will be 4 1/2. He loves it just as much as I do. He remeember so much about it. By talking about it and seeing photos, he still lives in the moment. Some times were hard, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!! His faces when he met the characters, rode the rides was priceless!! When he napped, my hubby and I rode the big rides. It was great!!:)

Disney05

We waited way too long to bring my oldest, he was 12. By youngest, she was 5. I wish I would have brought my son when he was younger. My fault, but we've made up for it by going every year now.

figmentmom

Our daughter was 8 and in third grade, and our son was five and in kindergarten for that first trip. I was REALLY glad they were way past stroller age, and old enough to have a great time. They remember that first trip as an absolute blast, and so do we! :wave:

angell1975

Our daughter was 21 months old when we first took her and she had a blast. She wouldn't take a nap that whole week because she was afraid she would miss something. She's four now and all she wants to do is go to Disney World!

mrerk

Premium Member
First trip was at 11 months. He has been down every April since then. Our next trip (his 4th) we will have to buy him his own AP since he is now +3.

Jessie&Buzz

My daughter turned 6 months the day we arrived in Disney on her first trip. My son was 5 months on his first trip when his sister was 5 years old. Both trips were in July. It was hot but they both handled it well. We took breaks, used the baby care centers and hit as many a/c places as possible.

ccmuffin2

First time we took our son to WDW was at 14 Months and now at 8, he could be a tour guide to the parks. Great first trip we got to see a space shuttle launched at KSC 8:42 am and then back to WDW .Got a great video of the launch but forgot a tripod so I used my son's baby stroller ...LOL

IMPoppins

We, too, have created disney "monsters." Our son was two the first time he went. He is now six and has been to WDW 14 times. Our daughter was five months old on her first trip. She is now three and has been there 12 times. We're headed back for trips 15 and 13 in 183 days :sohappy:

santa's surpriz

I waited to take my daughter to WDW until she was 5, it was just this past December. She had a wonderful time and talks about all the wonderful experiences and going back almost everyday. I invested a big chunk of money in many of the park CDs and DVDs to keep the memories alive.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My youngest child's first Disney trip was at 10 days old. Does she remember? Who knows, but I could not forget it if I tried.

JDM

Oh, this is such a highly opinionated topic....

I read all the posts so far and I think it's very telling that the first two used the word "dragged" when referring to very young children on their first trip.
And about half the other posts indicated their kids don't (or probably don't) remember anything when going that young. From what I've read and what I would expect, "dragging" and "not remembering" are very typical of the experience of taking a pre-schooler or an infant.

On the other hand, those folks who waited until 5 or so are unanimous that not only they, but THEIR KIDS remember it and had a magical, special trip.
As you probably guessed, I fall into the latter group, waiting until my daughter was 5 and it was SO worthwhile to do that.

Taking a child under 3 or so makes it virtually impossible for him/her to remember anything. It's still okay to take them if you like, just don't give yourself the illusion that the trip is for them--it's for you. And that's fine, if that's what you want.

(note that I do understand and sympathize however with those parents who have older children, but also littler ones. In that instance, I can understand it)

durangojim

Original Poster
Oh, this is such a highly opinionated topic....

I read all the posts so far and I think it's very telling that the first two used the word "dragged" when referring to very young children on their first trip.
And about half the other posts indicated their kids don't (or probably don't) remember anything when going that young. From what I've read and what I would expect, "dragging" and "not remembering" are very typical of the experience of taking a pre-schooler or an infant.

On the other hand, those folks who waited until 5 or so are unanimous that not only they, but THEIR KIDS remember it and had a magical, special trip.
As you probably guessed, I fall into the latter group, waiting until my daughter was 5 and it was SO worthwhile to do that.

Taking a child under 3 or so makes it virtually impossible for him/her to remember anything. It's still okay to take them if you like, just don't give yourself the illusion that the trip is for them--it's for you. And that's fine, if that's what you want.

(note that I do understand and sympathize however with those parents who have older children, but also littler ones. In that instance, I can understand it)

Hmmm, you might want to reread the posts because the vast majority of us who have posted about taking their kids under three have spoken about memories and wonderful times. As for an illusion of memories, recent studies have shown that children as young as 18 months are able to form long-term memories when parents have taken an active role asking questions about trips, showing pictures, etc. I wouldn't comment about what it's like to take a toddler or infant to WDW when you yourself have never done so.

Unfortunately you have done exactly what I didn't want to happen -- speculate about when is the most "appropriate" age to take your child to WDW. I posted this poll to see when most people decide to take their kids down there and right now the majority have done so under the age of two.

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
We took our son twice last year. Once when he was 23 months and the second time this past December when he was 2 1/2 years old. He had a great time on both trips. We worked around his schedule and didn't push him to the point of exhaustion which allowed us all to have a great time!

You may ask how I know with absolute certainty that he had a great time? Well, ever since December, whenever he sees the picture of my wife and I on our honeymoon standing in front of the castle he immediately exclaims "CASTLE" then comes over and grabs one of our hands and says "Lets go! Go to the Castle." Every time he does it my heart melts and I get the urge to blow our budget and book another tip immediately.

thrupaytonseyes

DS1 was 20 months for his first trip and has been back 5 times now. We are going in April for his 5th birthday...a total surprise to him!!! We are going to pick him up from preschool and drive to the airport from there. Once we get to the airport he will know since he thinks all planes go to Orlando. He definately remembers things from all of his trips. After his first trip he brought up things even we didn't remember until he mentioned it. He plays that he is at Disney World all the time. Sets up his toys and pretends they are certain things there. He also has the monorail set to use in his pretend Disney.

DS2 was 3 months old. He will have 2 trips under his belt before turning 1!!!

JenShelby

My daughter has just turned 5 on our first trip and loved it so much we went back the following year. She will be 8 this year and cant wait to go again. We are planning a 2 week vacation next year-its a suprise to her!

VT GAL

We took our DD at 18 months, and it was AWESOME! We stayed at POFQ and she LOVED riding the boats and being around all the excitement.
EDIT: Sorry the picture is so huge.....I am not sure how to make it smaller

DSC01831.jpg

dixiepixie

My son was 2 years old on our first trip in Nov. 1995. He would be turning 3 the upcoming Jan. And our daughter was 3 on her first trip in Nov. 2000 (she had just turned 3 in October). I think the 2 -3 age is the best because everything is still SO magical to them at that age.

I have never thought you should take a small child (baby) to WDW. We had a trip booked for Nov.1997, my daughter would have been almost 2 months old, but we cancelled it.

However, after seeing the picture of the baby with Mickey Mouse, I have changed my mind...Just look at that little one's face as she is looking at Mickey. That is what it is all about.

DSCF0036.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom