How much time to you "really" spend at the resorts?

DisneyGigi

We are at our resort only to shower and sleep. We are at the parks from open to close every single day of our trip. The most time we spend there awake is when we do laundry late at night a couple times during the trip and the kids hit the arcade. I guess that is why I cannot justify spending the extra money to stay in a deluxe. :ROFLOL:

David

I'm sorry I just have to ask, what do you mean by a better class of people?

Like other posters have written, I'm glad you asked that of drossjr. I was just reaidng through this thread and was surprised at someone writing something like that. Sounds a little arrogant, to me.

macsmom

I so wanted to visit the AKL this past trip, but at the last minute, we decided to do something else and by the time I remembered AKL, it was too late. So, next trip, that is on my list. Once I mark that off my list, I will hit some of the other resorts.

danna

foreverbelle

we actually take two/three days where we dont go to the parks and instead spent it at the resort/resorts enjoying them. because we figure if your spending money on the resorts, whether it be at the deluxe or the value selection, well you may as well spend all that money, you may as well enjoy it.

mickey7879

I think it depends on what your situation is. Before we had kids, we didn't spend very much time in our hotel, so we mostly stayed at value or moderate resorts. The only time we stayed in a better one was when we were able to swap our timeshare and stay at one of the DVC resorts.

When I was pregnant with my ds, we stayed 1 week at BWV (timeshare swap) and one week at the Poly. Paid out of pocket for Poly and didn't get a deal whatsoever. We paid to get the MK view and was well worth it. Being pregnant, I spet a LOT of time in our room. Always watched the fireworks from there and water parade. Always made sure to be back in our room for those things. Was so nice not to sit in a crowd of people in watch them....instead I could get my pj's on, grab a snack and sit on the balcony and enjoy them. (my son kicked me for the first time while we were at the Poly!) Now that we have kids and another on the way, we still spend quite a bit of time in our room.

I just think it all depends on your family situation and your budget. IF I could afford to stay at a deluxe resort all the time I do it in a heartbeat! I like the level of service you seem to get compared with the value resorts. I'm a hotel snob....I know! haha!

SleepingMonk

....instead I could get my pj's on, grab a snack and sit on the balcony and enjoy them....

EXACTLY!

It's an entirely different experience to enjoy the various fireworks, architecture and ambience from your private balcony while enjoying room service....
dsc0282h.jpg

Or from the club level lounges while having dessert...

dsc0260.jpg

Maybe just relax and take it all in....

dsc01052y.jpg

Or rest your tired feet and catch an amazing sunset....

dsc0206n.jpg

You can even rise and shine with exotic animals...

dsc06755h.jpg

So the real question is....why stay anywhere else?

jakeman

We (My two kids and I) somtimes spend almost no time awake at the resort, and at other times spend a couple of hours at the resort.

Regardless of if I am spending loads of time at the resort or not, I like the deluxe resorts. Thats why I bought into the DVC.

Is it a waste of money from the sense that I could do it cheaper - sure it is. However I do enjoy the deluxe resorts. I enjoy the better themeing, the bigger rooms, the less of a "Motel 6" feel, the nicer pools, the dining options that don't make me feel like I am back in my college dining hall.

I dont't spend my money carelessly. I cook most meals at home, brown bag lunch at work, still drive my 2001 car, etc. When I do choose to spend money, as Miss M said, I want to do it right. It's all a matter of trade offs. I used to be a Pop Century, bring food for breakfast in the room, fly at odd hours for cheapest rates, kind of guy. Now, if the one big trip that my kids and I take to WDW each year costs me an extra $400 or so, but we have a much more relxing time - an actual vacation (As Tigsmom said, if I want to feel stressed, rushed, an on a schedule/deadline, I'll go to work) and come back all the happier for having spent that money.

-dave
Oh dave, that is an awesome song by Dada.

Beccone

Maybe when my kids get a little older we may spend more time at the resorts but for right now we spend almost every waking moment at the parks. We do plan on taking some midday breaks this upcoming trip but I think the Pop Century pools will satisfy my kids just as much as a deluxe resorts pools. Also when we go to Disney, it's to go to the parks, yes we do not relax much but that's what our trip to the beach is every year to relax and not do much of anything. I'd rather use the money I save staying at a value resort and use it towards renting a condo at the beach for a week.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
How much time do you "really" spend at the resorts? I mean so many people go to Disney and stay at the fanciest resorts but spend most of their time if not all of the day time at the parks. After all, there is so much to do. So, do you find yourself, staying at the cheaper resorts because of this fact? I sure do. What's the point of spending all that money if you're not going to be there or only just for sleeping?:snore:

We stayed at Yacht Club this last trip - spending a day at the pool. The rest of the time, we were at the parks. Why spend the extra? - the pool was amazing - the ability to walk to Epcot (which is where we dine each night) - and the boat to DHS made everything so nice and easy. And the added amenities were lovely! We tend to take a break each day from 3 to 6 and head back to resort. It's part of the experience for us to stay at a Deluxe resort so that is why we do it. This next trip however, we are staying at the GF - and spending 3 whole days at the resort. We want to take in the resort as much as we can. Since GF is so much more in price then a Deluxe resort, we want to make sure we get our $$'s worth. :lol:

Tiggerfanatic

I love, love, love the monorail resorts. MK @ Epcot are our 2 favorite parks, and the proximity to both via the monorail makes the extra expense worth it to us. I look at my stay at the resort at part of my vacation, to be savored and enjoyed as much as the parks. And I like the convenience of havng the ability to run back to the resort quickly if our plans change at midday (which has happened more than once.) I've stayed at a couple of moderates, and I figure I gain at least 2 hours park time per day by eliminating the bus wait times.

That being said, I realize that I am very fortunate and consider myself blessed that I do have a good job that enables me to indulge in the Disney vacation of my dreams without having to scrimp and do without.

sueuk

We spend a decent portion of each day at the hotel and we like to enjoy our surroundings. It doesn't matter how much you pay (what level of hotel), you want to be comfortable. To us, the hotel is a part of the vacation as there is so much to do there as well, more than just sleep & shower. It is a vacation and we want to relax; if I wanted to run all day to the point of exhaustion then I would have stayed home & worked. :lol:

To each his own, I'll spend my money how I wish and you spend yours however you do. :wave:

Hear, Hear!! you don't have to be ''rich'' to want to spend your own hard earned money on nice surroundings. We choose to be able to walk to the parks , and to come back to lie on a beach to relax before walking to a restaurant or entertainment. Luckily, these days we holiday without children - it was a different story then! :lol:

bigorangeandy

We usually spend a few days off site then the rest of the trip on property. When we are off site we tend to go from park opening to closing, then when we are on site, more breaks in the afternoon. This works well for us, we get the excitement of the parks at the start of the trip, then another dose a few days later when we stay on the property. Last year at WL I enjoyed the afternoon breaks as much as anything, and the teenagers did as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom