How much space does DHS have?

SeaCastle

Lots of room for expansion. There are at least three or four spots on Sunset Boulevard alone. The Indy backstage/cast lot is an option, so is the Baclot Tour area.

Whether or not the use the plots (at least anytime soon)...is the real question.

Thrill

There is a building (forget which number it is) that is large enough for the long-rumored Monsters, Inc. coaster. The way the Backlot Tour has been shrinking and really doesn't fit into the rest of the park's theme makes it likely that Disney could consider it as an expansion site in the future. Also, take into account the fact that Pixar Place is quite small as is, so for it to expand much, it will need to expand into this area. And, as mentioned by previous posters, there quite a bit of room for expansion on Sunset Boulevard.

SeaCastle

There is a building (forget which number it is) that is large enough for the long-rumored Monsters, Inc. coaster. The way the Backlot Tour has been shrinking and really doesn't fit into the rest of the park's theme makes it likely that Disney could consider it as an expansion site in the future. Also, take into account the fact that Pixar Place is quite small as is, so for it to expand much, it will need to expand into this area. And, as mentioned by previous posters, there quite a bit of room for expansion on Sunset Boulevard.

Soundstage One houses Toy Story Mania, with the other half of the building planned to house the queue area for the coaster. The coaster wouldn't be able to fit inside that soundstage, so it would have to be expanded backstage, which is a major undertaking.

RonAnnArbor

It's kind of a redundant question -- the have as much room as they want. If you are asking "within the current boundaries" they have plenty of room, and already have plans to do some tearing down and rebuilding (i.e. ride the Tram Tour while you can)...but the real theoretical answer is they have as much room as they want -- they can expand as far out of the current boundaries as they want. They OWN everything.

RonAnnArbor

Only until things start to sink....

Again, only theoretical -- EVERYTHING at WDW is artificially created including waterways, runoffs, and road pathways -- anything can, in theory, be redug, rerouted, and rebuilt...in fact, it's easier there than in most places in the US...

RSoxNo1

Take a look at this aerial photo:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=28.3574168&lon=-81.5561056&z=16&l=0&m=b

There's a large plot of land at the end of Sunset Boulevard between Tower and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, but that obviously doesn't spread out the crowds. There's another large area between the Animation Courtyard and Sunset Boulevard that has similar access issues as the large cleared area behind Asia in the Animal Kingdom - it will require moving some things around.

They can also gain a substantial amount of space by removing the Backlot Tour, and they have the Sounds Dangerous Theater to work with for expansion as well.

jDoor

Banned
there are expansions plans that call for a 120 yard wide elevated 'deck' over the main entrace roadway and into the adjacent land... the deck would have grassy areas, structure, and would be indistinguishable from 'flat land' when crossy... kinda similar to the utilidoors at MK, only with a roadway beneath it instead.... the entrace to studios would then become 'tunnel' like in this section..

very bold plans.. but it offers a GREAT expasion space if needed/wanted

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
there are expansions plans that call for a 120 yard wide elevated 'deck' over the main entrace roadway and into the adjacent land... the deck would have grassy areas, structure, and would be indistinguishable from 'flat land' when crossy... kinda similar to the utilidoors at MK, only with a roadway beneath it instead.... the entrace to studios would then become 'tunnel' like in this section..

very bold plans.. but it offers a GREAT expasion space if needed/wanted
Not heard of that one since the "Disney Decade"!

fireman17

New Toon Town, maybe?

I brought this topic up with my DW the other day. I was saying other than the FL expansion DHS hasn't had too much added and now that Toon Town has been closed no one can really say what is happening with Mickey's and Minnie's houses.
Now we know that Walt wanted Walt Disney World to be different than Disneyland but there are plenty of similarities between the parks small ones though. I said that Disneyland has it's own area of Toon Town and thought if DHS was to expand this is where a new Toon Town would be at with a few new rides to bring more people into DHS.

EpcotFanForever

Again, only theoretical -- EVERYTHING at WDW is artificially created including waterways, runoffs, and road pathways -- anything can, in theory, be redug, rerouted, and rebuilt...in fact, it's easier there than in most places in the US...

When you are up to your armpits in water, the sinking is more than theoretical.

Some ground is not suitable for building no matter what you do. What you see on the surface is only a small part of the story.

MUTZIE77

I brought this topic up with my DW the other day. I was saying other than the FL expansion DHS hasn't had too much added and now that Toon Town has been closed no one can really say what is happening with Mickey's and Minnie's houses.
Now we know that Walt wanted Walt Disney World to be different than Disneyland but there are plenty of similarities between the parks small ones though. I said that Disneyland has it's own area of Toon Town and thought if DHS was to expand this is where a new Toon Town would be at with a few new rides to bring more people into DHS.

I just watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit last night and I think this would be a great addition to DHS. They could do it along with the same premise as the movie since Toontown in the movie was part of a studio town. Unfortunately they will expand Pixar Place before they even think about a toontown land.

Note that Toy Story Mania occupies stages 2 and 3. Stage 1 is currently used as more scene shop space. Stage 1 is the rumored queue location for the Monsters coaster.

Other recent rumors I have heard include:

- closure of the multi-lane entrance road and adding more lanes to the entrance off Buena Vista

- relocation of Lights Motors Action practice pad to the former main entrance road.

- relocation of costume and scene shop next to paint shop (where catastrophe canyon is)

- Monsters Coaster Stage 1, costume and scene shop and former lights motors action practice space.

- Expansion from parade gate out towards the former entrance road.

- At one time it was actually announced that they were building a restaurant at the end of sunset just up the ramp towards Fantasmic.

Note that the master planning for the park always intended for a Southernly expansion to include another "main" street like Sunset next to Star Tours. You can visualize the master plan boundary with the main drainage canal around the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom