How much does Disney Social Media/TDO check on WDWmagic?

Cmdr_Crimson

I just wanted to inform you I just got an email From Disney D23 and they are having a Member survey and asked one interesting question...
* Do you visit any of the following websites/blogs more than once a month? (Check all that apply)

MiceAge/MiceChat
Laughing Place
AllEars
MousePlanet
Jim Hill Media
WDWRadio
DISBoards
WDW Magic
Stitch Kingdom
Inside the Magic
SoCal Thrills
Disneyana Fan Club
The Daily Disney (Orlando Sentinel)
Hero Complex (Los Angeles Times)
Around Disney (Orange County Register)
I don't visit these websites/blogs more than once a month

And you Think Mickey is watching??

Clever Name

I just wanted to inform you I just got an email From Disney D23 and they are having a Member survey and asked one interesting question...
* Do you visit any of the following websites/blogs more than once a month? (Check all that apply)

MiceAge/MiceChat
Laughing Place
AllEars
MousePlanet
Jim Hill Media
WDWRadio
DISBoards
WDW Magic
Stitch Kingdom
Inside the Magic
SoCal Thrills
Disneyana Fan Club

Yep, they're watching D23 members closely. They want to extract more money. They watch DVC members too for the same reason.

MKCP 1985

MiceAge/MiceChat
Laughing Place
AllEars
MousePlanet
Jim Hill Media
WDWRadio
DISBoards
WDW Magic
Stitch Kingdom
Inside the Magic
SoCal Thrills
Disneyana Fan Club

Funny, I was just coming here to say the same thing. ha ha ha

Clamman73

MiceAge/MiceChat
Laughing Place
AllEars
MousePlanet
Jim Hill Media
WDWRadio
DISBoards
WDW Magic
Stitch Kingdom
Inside the Magic
SoCal Thrills
Disneyana Fan Club

No love for wdw fanboys? Was'up wit dat? They got Ricky on the list...common. ;)

Clever Name

They're watching their ENTIRE audience, not just those groups. It's just convenient for them to ask those questions in a survey since they have dedicated mailing lists for D23 and DVC members.

Watching the entire audience is impossible, impracticable and completely unnecessary. They can derive all the information they need from a small sample of the Disney fan population. The sample subset allows them to make highly accurate extrapolations to gauge customer preferences and tailor their products to achieve higher sales.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Watching the entire audience is impossible, impracticable and completely unnecessary. They can derive all the information they need from a small sample of the Disney fan population. The sample subset allows them to make highly accurate extrapolations to gauge customer preferences and tailor their products to achieve higher sales.
He meant that they weren't simply watching DVC members.

Yes, they do sample the Disney fan population, but NOT simply through DVC.

And I can make a more obnoxious font than you can!

lebeau

Hee, Hee. I see what do did there!

v4rv4p.png

Tom

Beta Return
He meant that they weren't simply watching DVC members.

Yes, they do sample the Disney fan population, but NOT simply through DVC.

And I can make a more obnoxious font than you can!

unkadug is right. I didn't mean they literally survey every single guest. I meant that they survey an appropriate sampling of every demographic that visits. How they lump demos together...I don't know. But they survey everyone.

It's just convenient that they have literal mailing lists for DVC and D23 members, whereas they don't just spam every email address ever used to create an account on www.disneyworld.com because most of them are junk hotmail accounts that people use when they want to avoid...spam.

They get feedback from everyone else with the Guest Relation folks in the parks who do quick ZIP Code queries, 5-point Q&A at park entry, or even the lengthy "Tell us about your day" surveys like they do as you exit the MK.

Their data mining is deep. Probably the one thing they (unfortunately) do better than anything else these days.

KeithVH

How do I get this job??? :)

As long as you're willing to work at it.

Start with a degree in Marketing and PR. Preferrably one heavy in the digital area. Then 4-5 years of experience doing digital marketing in one or more Fortune 500 companies. Fairly deep experience using tools such as Sysomos and Radian6. Definitely Webtrends or Sitecatalyst. Expert level Excel and Powerpoint skills (all the knowledge is worthless if you can't present it right). I'd also give preference, considering the amount of info we're talking about, for anyone who has big data skills, esepcially SQL or Hadoop.

Within top companies, that should easily be worth a fair $100K/year salary. Depending on experience, maybe as high as $140-150K. Very dependent on locale and company. If everything I've heard about Disney is correct, you might even be expected to be a standout in this field (maybe presented papers at something like BlogWorld or Omniture Summit).

And think about this. There really aren't that many people who have this type of skillset and those that do are the ones driving the social media strategy of leading companies around the world. THAT'S a scary thought. On the other end of the scale, you've got mom-and-pop businesses who have hired a young admin assistant/IT flunky that does 20 different job functions but thinks that since the person is young and knows "that Facebook thing" they've got a great social media program.

BigBlu2k7

First of all, I would like to say hi to all the Disney Social Media and TDO people who check out WDWmagic.com on a regular basis. It's nice to know there are stalkers of Disney fan sites out there.

Second of all, how much do you think they actually check out this site? Is someone from TDO checking this site all the time?
TDO?

BigBlu2k7

most industries monitor internet communities...

But there is a huge difference between 'being read' and 'being taken seriously' - something all too many rabid fans fail to separate.

Reading everyone is about the Yeti still - or some new resturant - they'll note. Does that mean they hang on every word WDWfan1971FTW or some other random juiced fanboy or critic says? Nope

Monitoring communities is standard practice and used to keep a Pulse on things - more so then getting caught up in individuals or agendas.

But even when a specific example is cited - it's generally a point of 'example' rather than 'OMG, did you just hear TheMom was disappointed in FLE? What can we do to get TheMom back on board?'
FLE?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom