How much are they altering the Country Bear Jamboree?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
So I feel the recent trip we did might be the last time we see the Bears as we know them. The songs, maybe even the characters themselves could change forever. This is very unnecessary and just makes the attraction inferior if they start adding Disney IP songs. It is as if they don't "get" Frontierland and the charm it is supposed to have. So what is the change and how much of the show is being cut?

JIMINYCR

Well at this point no one really knows much. They’ve said the music will be different by using Nashville musicians and the acts will be altered for a fun show. Using the bears in a different kind of show will certainly change what we’ve been used to seeing.
Disney usually gives us scant info when they are updating attractions and we still don’t know what they will become until we visit them after the build is complete. Plans are always changed mid build for a variety of reasons so even when announcements are made we can’t always trust what we hear.
Keep your eyes and ears open because every site will be dropping info as it progresses along.

Last edited:

SteveAZee

I guess as a little thought experiment, what if Country Bear Jamboree had always been Disney songs done in a country music style? It wouldn't have been that odd, I don't think. Then management comes along and says it's time to update the attraction and decides to replace it with what we now know as the classic songs and banter of CBJ. Change, and the unknown, are difficult to deal with.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I guess as a little thought experiment, what if Country Bear Jamboree had always been Disney songs done in a country music style? It wouldn't have been that odd, I don't think. Then management comes along and says it's time to update the attraction and decides to replace it with what we now know as the classic songs and banter of CBJ. Change, and the unknown, are difficult to deal with.

It wouldn't have been strange, no. Mickey Mouse Revue opened in 1971 with Disney songs. So I get it. But the problem is there is a shrinking number of things that don't have a Disney IP in them, and CBJ is one of them. Always has. Just seems typical for them to change it.

Thank god they're changing it. Outdated and needing a refresh, The Country Bear Jamboree needs re-imagined for future generations. I say add contemporary country and pop tunes; and modernize the bears to get rid of the hick accents and rural stereotypes.

I am thinking you don't really "get" the idea of Frontierland. What happens in that attraction is what gives it its charm. Including the so-called hick accents. And how do you modernize Frontierland? The point of the land is that it is from a bye gone era.

ohioguy

It wouldn't have been strange, no. Mickey Mouse Revue opened in 1971 with Disney songs. So I get it. But the problem is there is a shrinking number of things that don't have a Disney IP in them, and CBJ is one of them. Always has. Just seems typical for them to change it.

I am thinking you don't really "get" the idea of Frontierland. What happens in that attraction is what gives it its charm. Including the so-called hick accents. And how do you modernize Frontierland? The point of the land is that it is from a bye gone era.

Well, the bye gone era can up and leave. There's a reason that CBJ fails to draw any type of crowd. It's boring and outdated. Either modernize it and save the ride, or bulldoze it and put up something else.

JIMINYCR

Sorry but there are lots of guests who enjoy CBJ. It does fit well in Frontierland and the land needs to keep true to the theming it should project. And like you there are many haters who have never gotten the attraction. Every time I’ve been at WDW it has had a fairly full audience so it’s not empty by any means. Not every attraction is enjoyable to all . If you don’t like it then bypass it like I do for those I don’t like.
But I agree it’s time Dis upgraded the show and made it new and refreshing. There will be many elements of the old show I’ll miss and I hope the new show doesn’t lose the charm and original feel that the attraction brought.

thomas998

Thank god they're changing it. Outdated and needing a refresh, The Country Bear Jamboree needs re-imagined for future generations. I say add contemporary country and pop tunes; and modernize the bears to get rid of the hick accents and rural stereotypes.
Wow, I didn't even know it was still around. Has been more than a decade since we ever wasted time on it.... I would have hoped they would cancelled it and the Carousel of Progress a long time ago but figured they were to stingy to spend the money on bulldozers.

WorldExplorer

We don't know, and even if we did, it could change significantly by the time the blood reaches the saddle, so to speak.

We can't even be sure it's really going to happen. Remember the exciting Spaceship Earth reimagining that was announced in 2020? Oh, wait... ;)

News: Country Bears changes canceled as team trying to implement them realizes they have no clue where Country Bear Jamboree actually is located.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Well, the bye gone era can up and leave. There's a reason that CBJ fails to draw any type of crowd. It's boring and outdated. Either modernize it and save the ride, or bulldoze it and put up something else.

I was there a week ago. The theatre was full for our show. Right to the brim. Here is the problem with modern Disney and modern Disney fanboys, the CBJ is a very small space. It doesn't take up much room at all. There are gift shops and definitely restaurants in MK as big as it. So why get rid of a show that actually fits the theme of Frontierland that takes up no room? It doesn't make sense. And everything in Frontierland is not "modernized" and that's the point I feel you aren't seeing. It is supposed to be that way. Big Thunder Mountain, Liberty Boats, Tom Sawyer, CBJ, formerly Splash, etc. It is not supposed to feel like 2023 in that part, hence the music loop you hear when you are there.

MickeyLuv'r

More like silent majority. But, they need to bring back the Christmas overlay. To me those jokes were the funniest.
IMO, the temporary overlays are the kind of update Disney should give CBJ, plus a few other rides. Keep the classic version, but periodically offer an overlay/alternate version.

Some of the overlays could be holiday based, and some could be non-holiday. So sure, have a version that is new voices is one possibility, but also reverting to the classic version part of the year.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Wow, I didn't even know it was still around. Has been more than a decade since we ever wasted time on it.... I would have hoped they would cancelled it and the Carousel of Progress a long time ago but figured they were to stingy to spend the money on bulldozers.

Why would you hope they cancel those two shows? Tell me another place where you can see a show like either one of them, especially Carousel of Progress.

thomas998

Why would you hope they cancel those two shows? Tell me another place where you can see a show like either one of them, especially Carousel of Progress.
Surely you aren't trying to defend either of those rides. They may be old traditional attractions, but the animatronics make the ones at Chuck e Cheese look good.

Smiley/OCD

Surely you aren't trying to defend either of those rides. They may be old traditional attractions, but the animatronics make the ones at Chuck e Cheese look good.
Surely there ARE quite a few on here that would and do defend keeping CBJ, CoP, Hall of Presidents & ETR…I’m totally for the Christmas overlays ala Jungle Cruise, but to close them? NOPE…these are just the attractions that sets Disney apart from their competitors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom