How long before we start seeing tattoos on Disney CM's?

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
So, only people with tattoos are visionary enough to determine the meaning and reasons behind tattoos? My argument is that most people that get tattoos are picked out of a book. Some are tasteful, most are not. Sorry to inform you, but your precious tattoo will age..... Either way, they have no place in a Disney theme park.

Are you saying a CM shouldn’t have one; or any WDW visitor shouldn’t bare one?

Also, I’d like to see where you got your information about the number of people choosing a out of a book rather than designing one for themselves.

rcapolete

So, only people with tattoos are visionary enough to determine the meaning and reasons behind tattoos? My argument is that most people that get tattoos are picked out of a book. Some are tasteful, most are not. Sorry to inform you, but your precious tattoo will age..... Either way, they have no place in a Disney theme park.
Please read what I typed and not what you want to see. "Not sure why or how anyone without a tattoo can comment on the reason or meaning behind someone's tattoo." The key word here is SOMEONE else's tattoo. This is not a visionary arguement. It is what my vision is. Second please stop with the " your tattoo will age" no cause I go back in for touch ups as needed. That is like saying don't buy a vintage car cause it will be old.
This thread was about CMs disaying tattoos and yet a subset of people had to make it into a debate about tattoos in general. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Smooth

"If you’re planning to get a tattoo, sleep on it. And not just for a night—at least a few months. That’s what we found when we surveyed 600 people with tattoo regret. The big takeaway: 3 out of 4 people who suffer from “tattoo regret” didn’t plan for the tattoo beyond a few weeks." - Advanced Dermatology

NelsonRD

Are you saying a CM shouldn’t have one; or any WDW visitor shouldn’t bare one?

Also, I’d like to see where you got your information about the number of people choosing a out of a book rather than designing one for themselves.

No CM should show them. However, it is their choice to have them. No, I have no percentage facts to back up who creates their own tattoo, who plans on getting them, who gets them impulsively, and who regrets it later. It is all irrelevant, The point is, no CM should show them.

NelsonRD

Please read what I typed and not what you want to see. "Not sure why or how anyone without a tattoo can comment on the reason or meaning behind someone's tattoo." The key word here is SOMEONE else's tattoo. This is not a visionary arguement. It is what my vision is. Second please stop with the " your tattoo will age" no cause I go back in for touch ups as needed. That is like saying don't buy a vintage car cause it will be old.
This thread was about CMs disaying tattoos and yet a subset of people had to make it into a debate about tattoos in general. Kind of silly if you ask me.

You said "Not sure why or how anyone without a tattoo can comment on the reason or meaning behind someone's tattoo." which implies that only people with tattoos can comment. I read it as you posted. You may touch up your tattoo in your 60's if it is still important to you by then, but most won't, and you have to agree they do not age well. I am not against tattoos, I am against showing them, and considering Disney attracts retirees for CMs, it matters.

rcapolete

You said "Not sure why or how anyone without a tattoo can comment on the reason or meaning behind someone's tattoo." implies that only people with tattoos can comment. I read it as you posted. You may touch up your tattoo in your 60's if it is still important to you by then, but most won't, and you have to agree they do not age well. I am not against tattoos, I am against showing them, and considering Disney attracts retirees for CMs, it matters.
No SOMEONE ELSE TATTOO. If it makes you feel better I will make the statement "Not sure why or how anyone can comment on the reason or meaning behind someone's tattoo."

Smooth

IMG_0128.JPG

Have a magical day!

Me 'Earties

No CM should show them. However, it is their choice to have them. No, I have no percentage facts to back up who creates their own tattoo, who plans on getting them, who gets them impulsively, and who regrets it later. It is all irrelevant, The point is, no CM should show them.

You made a claim that said “most” people essentially pick some random tattoo...just wondering where you read that, or if you just made up your mind about it. My goodness-no need to get testy.

Plus, I was looking for clarity in regards to what you posted previously (it sounded as you were saying no one should have a visible tattoo). Again, most people have said here, even those with tattoos, that CMs shouldn’t have visible tattoos, as it’s perhaps not fitting/appropriate for the locale.

Me 'Earties

"If you’re planning to get a tattoo, sleep on it. And not just for a night—at least a few months. That’s what we found when we surveyed 600 people with tattoo regret. The big takeaway: 3 out of 4 people who suffer from “tattoo regret” didn’t plan for the tattoo beyond a few weeks." - Advanced Dermatology

Now this stat is somewhat misleading. Of course, Advanced Dermatology (not sure where exactly you pulled this quote, but I would assume it’s one of many dermatology practices offering tattoo removal services) is going to give you this lame statistic. This is just a tiny fraction of a tattooed population that they surveyed, and probably ones that came into their office for this specific service. Do a better search for tattoo regret stats. It’s probably more along the lines of about a quarter to a third of the population. Still a large number, but not 75% as you referenced here.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

I purposely put my tattoo where it could be seen. I have a caduceus with the letters "IDDM" underneath on my wrist that acts as my medical alert bracelet. I wore a beaded medical alert bracelet for years but broke the wire more times than I could count when it would catch on things at work. I thought gave it many years thought before I finally decided to get it. I wasn't wearing anything to indicate that I was an insulin-dependent diabetic so I finally realized that I needed to have something on my body to indicate that I was. I love my tattoo and that I don't have to wear some clunky bracelet anymore.

iPirate

Ever wonder why some CM wear long sleeves on 80+ degree days? It's not generally a fashion choice.
Here is the interaction that best, in my opinion, shows that CM have tattoos:

CM: Hey! Someone drew all over you! (I have tattoos)
Me: What? *looks at arms*
CM: It's okay, me too! That is why I wear long sleeves in this heat.

Strategically worn uniforms or accessories appropriate to the position the CM is in, and you would never know they have "MOM" tattooed across their body.

(Confession: I did not read through all 14 pages of this post. Wow)

Goofyernmost

You said "Not sure why or how anyone without a tattoo can comment on the reason or meaning behind someone's tattoo." which implies that only people with tattoos can comment. I read it as you posted. You may touch up your tattoo in your 60's if it is still important to you by then, but most won't, and you have to agree they do not age well. I am not against tattoos, I am against showing them, and considering Disney attracts retirees for CMs, it matters.
I basically agree with you, but, I also doubt that the majority are not out of a book. Girl Friends name are an exception. MOM would be pretty standard with no book necessary. However, I did get a chuckle out of age well comment. There are some things you cannot control and the time, and it will come, that the tattoo you had so majestically placed high on your bicep is now stretched down and touches your elbow all the touch ups in the world are not going to help. No one really is talking about fading, the problem is basically a canvas malfunction. Did I ever mention that aging sucks?

beertiki

I have a lot of tattoos and have plans for many more. When I see others with tattoos, I look closely, you can really learn a lot about a person. I do think you can make some pretty accurate assumptions based on placement, design, and quality. Placement - face, neck, hands, and fingers. If you have these and are less than 30 years old, you either have your life all planned out with a solid career, or it was a bad choice. Design - some tattoos are works of art, some are band names or logos. It's easy to see how much thought was put into the design. Quality - a good tattoo is not cheap, a person with a large sized or multiple good tattoos has a stable income, a person with a bunch of cheap done by their friend, messy tattoos, could not afford a real one.

In some jobs appearance is important. At Disney, I completely understand that some jobs should be tattoo free, while others it does not matter. It is not discrimination to tell the person with the skull and dagger on their forearm that they will not be able to work at the tea cups.

MichaelaSP

I purposely put my tattoo where it could be seen. I have a caduceus with the letters "IDDM" underneath on my wrist that acts as my medical alert bracelet. I wore a beaded medical alert bracelet for years but broke the wire more times than I could count when it would catch on things at work. I thought gave it many years thought before I finally decided to get it. I wasn't wearing anything to indicate that I was an insulin-dependent diabetic so I finally realized that I needed to have something on my body to indicate that I was. I love my tattoo and that I don't have to wear some clunky bracelet anymore.

Would you be willing to post a picture of your caduceus to show people what they might see in a medical emergency and how to respond? It seems there’s quite a few folks on here that would see the ink and automatically dismiss it without actually seeing it for what it is. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom