How long before we start seeing tattoos on Disney CM's?

mergatroid

Original Poster
I like what you’ve said here and how you said it. I myself have at least eight tattoos and will get more, but I also totally agree that for places where a certain look is expected, like Disney, if I want to work there I have to look and dress their way.
Hopefully I will work there within the month and coming from 20+ years of military service it shouldn’t be too hard for me to adjust.
So again sir, well said.

I wish you all the best with becoming a CM for Disney, I'm sure you'll be a great asset to them ;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I know when I interview someone for a job that if I see a tattoo they won't be hired. I want people that think before they do something and a tattoo is a clear sign they don't.
I hope you never have to rely on someone with a tattoo (a) in the emergency room, (b) putting out a fire at your house, or (c) keeping you and your loved ones safe from terrorists.

I have met quite a few people with tattoos who thought long and hard about what they wanted to say and/or who they wanted to memorialize in their ink, and had it done knowing there are people who would condemn them for it.

danthemadhatter

My wife and I did hidden mickey tattoos. They only show up under a blacklight.
IMG_3149.JPG

NelsonRD

Tastes vary. I prefer people who are slightly eccentric over the uptight. Not to mention, I'm quite liberal. For all I care I get directed into my monorail by a six foot four bear in nothing but a tattooed-on Elsa costume bodypaint.

Stiff clothing prescriptions lead to stifled thinking. Creativity by contrast thrives by challenging people to express their creativity and individuality.

I had rather WDW presented itself as a creative powerhouse through expressively dressed personnel than as a plastic and slick commercial enterprise dreadfully afraid of offending somebody, somewhere, somehow.

I disagree. Tattoos do not stimulate creativity, rather have become a 'need to do because others do', and to me look like sheep. I do not see how walking into a tattoo parlor and pointing to picture of the tattoo you choose is creative.

In professional environments the way your dress and present yourself represents how you feel about yourself, and even Zuckerburg learned that lesson when trying to wear hoodies to SEC meetings.

What is forgotten is Disney is still mainly a facility for Children. The 'get with the times' crowd needs to realize that disney is not the stage for your adult agenda. I remain neutral on tattoos, but support the visible tattoo ban. Kids are very perceptive, and I don't think its reasonable to explain to my 5 year old a cast member at Disney has a Chinese quote on their neck, or barb wire around their forearm.

Professortango1

I hope never as CMs are Cast Members; performers in a fictional world. Just like in theatre or film, a person should look the part they are playing. This means having hair that fits the world as well as body art/accessories which fit. I wouldn't expect to see nose rings and sleeve tattoos in Death of a Salesman, I also wouldn't expect to see it on a Cast Member.

PutmickJ

I disagree. Tattoos do not stimulate creativity, rather have become a 'need to do because others do', and to me look like sheep. I do not see how walking into a tattoo parlor and pointing to picture of the tattoo you choose is creative.

I mean, so much of that statement is wrong. Do some people go into a tattoo parlor and point to a picture and get one, sure. But there are countless others who put time and effort into coming up with their own design and how it has special meaning to them and they work with their tattoo artist to make sure everything flows just right. It's a very creative process, even if you want to be closed minded about it.

For what its worth, I'm fully on board with having tattoos covered by clothing should the situation arise, and for working at Disney, at least how it is now, I think they should be covered if there is theming involved in the area, or if they are a character. If you're my bartender at the Contemporary or at the Polynesian though, who cares, a tattoo is a tattoo. What would you even need to explain to a child about that, and why not spend the 5 seconds just saying "it's art someone got on their body that means something to them".

MichaelaSP

Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why anybody would want a tattoo who isn't a sailor or convict.

But, tattoos are one of the examples of cultural values flowing upwards. Tattoos now seem a majority amongst the audiences visiting outdoor rock festivals, naturist venues and yes, Orlando theme parks.* Times change, generations change, fashion and social norms change. This will invariably reflect in changes in more formal environments too. As it should, perhaps. I am not conservative by any means, I just have classical taste.

* These three examples aren't picked random. They are instances where a lot of body is exposed. Do the tattooed prefer them for that reason (can show all that work), or is the frequenting of those venues reason to get a tattoo?

Maybe some of us are sailors or convicts at heart... ;)

copcarguyp71

I mean, so much of that statement is wrong. Do some people go into a tattoo parlor and point to a picture and get one, sure. But there are countless others who put time and effort into coming up with their own design and how it has special meaning to them and they work with their tattoo artist to make sure everything flows just right. It's a very creative process, even if you want to be closed minded about it.

Have to agree here. Whoever said that has never been through the process. Honestly I get an "expansion" every year to year and a half and I spend that time planning and re-planning what I am going to do. Each and every piece is very personal to me. Additionally I pay a professional translation service for an Irish Gaelic translation and then prove it through two other sources for accuracy. I know I am not alone in this either as I am in many enthusiast groups and personal friends with my artist so while there are the minority that go in and get an infinity tattoo with a feather on it that they pick out of a book there are far more that develop their pieces over years and decades. So to say that everyone walks in and gets a tattoo like they order from a McDonalds menu is honestly just ignorant and misinformed. My thoughts on castmembers are on my previous post #238 but I just had to chime in with agreement to your statement.

Last edited:

rcapolete

In professional environments the way your dress and present yourself represents how you feel about yourself, and even Zuckerburg learned that lesson when trying to wear hoodies to SEC meetings.

What is forgotten is Disney is still mainly a facility for Children. The 'get with the times' crowd needs to realize that disney is not the stage for your adult agenda. I remain neutral on tattoos, but support the visible tattoo ban. Kids are very perceptive, and I don't think its reasonable to explain to my 5 year old a cast member at Disney has a Chinese quote on their neck, or barb wire around their forearm.

People need to understand that the majority of tattoos are not "flashes" picked off a wall or out of a book. I spent hours desinging my tattoos and then even more time working with my artist to create the final drawing.
Not sure why or how anyone without a tattoo can comment on the reason or meaning behind someone's tattoo.

MichaelaSP

@graphite1326 .. ok so now I’m really curious..

Here’s my sister, used as the advert for a tough mudder. You can visibly see her tattoo in this the pic. She hates this photo because of her stomach.. it was 10 weeks after having her second child, the child that she had 13 months after having her first...but..besides the extra stomach skin, the tattoo in her side is showing. I’m sure the hospital she works for also saw it. I’m sure some of her patients saw it.

Should she be fired because they now know that she has a tattoo?
Would you fire her? Is that what you’re saying?
View attachment 270746

She's an awesome beast! GO GIIIIIIIIIIRL! :)

MichaelaSP

As I said earlier, stereotype or not there are some cultures that frown upon tattoos. WDW has visitors from all over the world. When we finally get to Tokyo for example I’d be minded to ensure mine don’t show.
Don't forget to see about getting some genuine Japanese ink while you're there ;)

Tony the Tigger

We are not ignorant nor unhappy. Just don't care if we hurt your little feelings anymore.

Likewise.

My wife and I did hidden mickey tattoos. They only show up under a blacklight.
View attachment 271782

Brilliant! I love it.

For what its worth, I'm fully on board with having tattoos covered by clothing should the situation arise, and for working at Disney, at least how it is now, I think they should be covered if there is theming involved in the area, or if they are a character. If you're my bartender at the Contemporary or at the Polynesian though, who cares, a tattoo is a tattoo. What would you even need to explain to a child about that, and why not spend the 5 seconds just saying "it's art someone got on their body that means something to them".

Bingo!

MichaelaSP

They're not supposed to be lenient or seen but unfortunately it does happen. Can't monitor everyone. Wrist tattoos should only be in certain roles, but sometimes labor is shifted around. Some try to cover up with band aids but that's not allowed either.
Dermablend (professional make-up) and the like are allowed to cover up tattoos, but that would get super expensive really, really quickly.

MichaelaSP

I never said YOU said it-I specifically said “others”.

Regardless, I will ding you for the portion of this comment referring to Disney’s image. Why would you care? If I remember correctly, you had said in the past that women in thong bikinis are okay at a family friendly resort like Disney; that standard bikini bottoms looked like “diapers”. I find that funny that tattoos on CMs are something to lift an eyebrow at but guests parading in thongs at WDW are okay in your book.

*snort, giggle, snort*

NelsonRD

People need to understand that the majority of tattoos are not "flashes" picked off a wall or out of a book. I spent hours desinging my tattoos and then even more time working with my artist to create the final drawing.
Not sure why or how anyone without a tattoo can comment on the reason or meaning behind someone's tattoo.

So, only people with tattoos are visionary enough to determine the meaning and reasons behind tattoos? My argument is that most people that get tattoos are picked out of a book. Some are tasteful, most are not. Sorry to inform you, but your precious tattoo will age..... Either way, they have no place in a Disney theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom