How long before we start seeing tattoos on Disney CM's?

NelleBelle

Do they charge you when. You park a car for cruise?
Would you be willing to post a picture of your caduceus to show people what they might see in a medical emergency and how to respond? It seems there’s quite a few folks on here that would see the ink and automatically dismiss it without actually seeing it for what it is. :)
Sure, here it is. My only "regret" is the font of the lettering...I wish I had just done it in block lettering.

Attachments

• IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 57

DanielleOG

I feel like the bottom line is this: Those of you who are not in favor of wdw allowing visible tattoos, would you stop going if they suddenly ok'd it? If you'd still go, would you just not ask those particular CM's for assistance? Or, in the end would you just kinda shake your head and say "back in my day.."
It's just not that big a deal if they allow them or not. Because at the end of the day, if you're offended by a CM's obvious tattoo then BE offended. Or, don't let it affect your experience.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I feel like the bottom line is this: Those of you who are not in favor of wdw allowing visible tattoos, would you stop going if they suddenly ok'd it? If you'd still go, would you just not ask those particular CM's for assistance? Or, in the end would you just kinda shake your head and say "back in my day.."
It's just not that big a deal if they allow them or not. Because at the end of the day, if you're offended by a CM's obvious tattoo then BE offended. Or, don't let it affect your experience.

I'm not in favour of Disney allowing visible tattoos on employees in public facing jobs but for appearance reasons only. I'm certainly not 'offended' by tattoos and neither would I stop going or not ask openly tattoo'd CM's for assistance if they allowed them.

There's people who wrongly (in my opinion) judge somebody by their decision to have tattoos, whilst there's also those who just perhaps prefer to not to have to see tattoos in certain scenarios. I think to some degree we all can identify with expecting certain appearances from others in certain situations if we're honest? For instance if we get married we'd perhaps expect our guests to dress to look smart when attending our wedding, why is that then? It's possibly because at a wedding we usually expect to see people make an effort in their appearance, it's an unspoken sign of respect if you will as well as trying to fit in with others. For instance if everyone was in a nice suit or an elegant dress and yet the best man decided he'd just feel more comfortable in a pair of jeans and trainers, I'm sure most of us if we were being completely honest would feel that his choice slightly ruins the overall appearance and feel of the day?

We're not saying he's any less personable, intelligent, kind or capable of making a speech and holding the ring because he's in jeans and trainers, it's just that it stands out like a sore thumb that his decision to dress that way is deliberately different to others and there's a good chance others would be put off by it. Of course somebody may tell me they wouldn't care less about it or that they know weddings where this happened and everybody loved it, but it's just meant as an example of when there's times when the majority of people expect others to adhere to certain standards as it's appreciated by the majority. I think it's possible to have certain expectations of 'appearance choices' in different scenarios without crossing the dreaded boundaries and moving into the territory of discrimination. For instance I don't discriminate against people who write notes on the back of their hands (why would I?), however if I'm paying for a nice meal with my wife I'd hope the waiter washes off the note before he serves me. It's just that if he doesn't it's something that stands out and for appearances sake doesn't look very professional to me. It wouldn't ruin my night out, I wouldn't want him sacked or in trouble and I know it wouldn't affect his ability to fetch me my food in a timely and courteous manner. But as a paying customer I would just find it more pleasant if he didn't have a note written on his hand or tattoos on his neck.

I suppose I feel that CM's look smarter and more professional without visible tattoos and I think many others do too. Tattoos are a choice that somebody quite rightly makes for themselves but others have no option but to see them if they're visible to everyone. I'm ok with that as my clothes are my choice and others are forced to look at them when I'm in their line of sight, that's the way the world is. However I appreciate my choice of clothing may make an impression on others, that's not really discrimination it's more human nature. If I walk around the shops in my underwear then folks may think my choice doesn't make them feel at ease, that it looks out of place. That's how I feel CM's with visible tattoos would make me feel if I saw them in Disney, out of place. If they allowed them then I'd still go, still get great service, still have fun but I guess I'd just feel it appeared more professional in appearance before. Sorry tattoo people I say this, but I honestly don't hate or judge you.

Last edited:

RollerCoaster

Tattoos are ALWAYS inappropriate at Disney.

If you're someone who's made the poor life choice of covering yourself with them, then YES you can be assured that I'm judging you when I see you at the park and probably concluding that your trashy and disgusting.

I know, the truth hurts, but we're not all equal and some of us truly are superior.

rcapolete

If you're someone who's made the poor life choice of covering yourself with them, then YES you can be assured that I'm judging you when I see you at the park and probably concluding that your trashy and disgusting.

I know, the truth hurts, but we're not all equal and some of us truly are superior.
Boy judge people much. I find people who make such close minded blank statements to be trash. Only those who are inferior talk about being superior. Just saying.

Tony the Tigger

And we judge you at least as harshly for your ignorant, disgusting, trashy and outdated obnoxious attitudes.

It’s bizarre reading all these anti-tattoo rants like it’s the ‘50s or something. If you think about it, the only reason you hold any prejudice towards tattoos is because you were told to. Try thinking sometime.

Characters are one thing, and very specific; you don’t want to break the illusion. Someone serving me popcorn who has a little Mickey or Mom tattoo on their arm - I probably wouldn’t notice, and if I did, it probably wouldn’t register. I pity those who would spiral with thoughts of inappropriateness, the need to have or, Heaven forbid, express an opinion about it. Worry about your own issues, visible or not.

mergatroid

Original Poster
And we judge you at least as harshly for your ignorant, disgusting, trashy and outdated obnoxious attitudes.

It’s bizarre reading all these anti-tattoo rants like it’s the ‘50s or something. If you think about it, the only reason you hold any prejudice towards tattoos is because you were told to. Try thinking sometime.

Characters are one thing, and very specific; you don’t want to break the illusion. Someone serving me popcorn who has a little Mickey or Mom tattoo on their arm - I probably wouldn’t notice, and if I did, it probably wouldn’t register. I pity those who would spiral with thoughts of inappropriateness, the need to have or, Heaven forbid, express an opinion about it. Worry about your own issues, visible or not.

To be honest I think he or she was just trying to mess with people, at least I hope he/she was :eek:

Goofyernmost

That is solid advice for a lot of things in life. We are in an era of not thinking, just following pied pipers. There is an abundance of kool-aid out there and a lot of people are quite well hydrated.

OneofThree

If I choose to have someone else's artwork design permanently inserted into my skin to express my originality & creativity, then go around flaunting it for others to observe and judge.... I expect to do so without being judged.

Ummm. . .

Bottom line -the idea that people, all people are automatically going to make judgments regarding their observations of other people. It's human nature. I think the problem we run into is that we do choose to display these things and others, and welcome validation but shun criticism. Moral of the story -if you intentionally "put yourself out there", you should do so expecting validation from some and criticism from others. That's just life on planet earth -always has been, always will be. Toughen up buttercups. :D

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

*You’re trashy - contraction of “you are”; not a possessive. But please, do carry on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom