How long before we start seeing tattoos on Disney CM's?

JIMINYCR

How is Joe Rohde still employed!

Well, Joe Rhode isnt an "on stage" cast member who runs an attraction or appears in a show as a performer in the guests sight. He is an Imagineer behind the scenes. Also Joe Rhode worked for Disney and was highly respected for many years before he took on his lets say bizarre look. I'm sure because of who Joe Rhode is and what hes accomplished for Disney... he can do pretty much anything he likes and no one will get rid of him.
Now if someone showed up for a cast members opening and was to appear in the interview looking like Joe Rode, they would be shown the guidelines and have to adhere to them.

KBLovedDisney

Got to say, I'm pro tattoos and piercings. BUT I also work in an office setting. Honestly, with the way Disney has always represented themselves, I am kind of hoping they maintain their image as clean cut with no tattoos or piercings visible because like in an office setting, it just looks a whole lot more professional without having either tattoos or piercings visible (says the girl with hand and arm tattoos and an eyebrow piercing....who may or may not get a microdermal cheek piercing). I'm the oddball in the office 😋

Rumrunner

So it seems that in today's age it's becoming the trend for more and more people to have tattoos. My wife and I are tattoo free and if I'm honest I've never liked the look of tattoos and find them kind of ugly. That being said I'm sure there's some people who find me kind of ugly too, so I'm not suggesting people shouldn't get tattoos based on my tastes and it's up to them what they do with their bodies. I also understand that a person's desire to have a tattoo doesn't reflect on their ability to do a certain type of job, so for instance we shouldn't think a doctor with tattoos is any less qualified or capable than one without them. Basically I'm firstly trying to clarify here that I have no issue with those who want or have tattoos, neither am I questioning their choice to have them.

I do however applaud certain companies rules such as Disney's, to have their employees cover their tattoos up whilst in front of their customers. Whilst I accept some think this 'discriminatory' (and technically is probably is), I find it on a par with expecting employees to dress to a certain standard as appearances are important to many companies and their customers expect and demand a certain image from their employees.

However times are a changing as they say and where I work in the UK used to enforce the rule of tattoos not being visible at work, a few years ago however they let that slide and now several colleagues openly display their tattoos. Now some of these people are my friends and I certainly don't judge them for having them, also they have no effect on their in work performance which is why they're there at the end of the day. But (apologies to you tattoo people) I find big tattoos and especially neck, face and hand ones really off putting and really hope in a few years time I'm not seeing them on Disney CM's as I visit the parks. I compare it to CM's looking untidy or wearing food stained or dirty clothing whilst on duty, it's an appearance issue more than anything else.

But with the way things are going and the current popularity of multiple tattoos all over people's bodies, how long do you think it will be before we see CM's allowed to display them?
I try not to notice people with tattoos or even look at their tattoos. I think it a rather immature act to get tattoos. But it is a part of our society that for some silly reason seems popular.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I try not to notice people with tattoos or even look at their tattoos. I think it a rather immature act to get tattoos. But it is a part of our society that for some silly reason seems popular.
So my Mother got a tattoo to cover a quite visible scar ( she got it in her 50's).which made her feel happier in herself is immature ?

Classy comments sir .

Goofyernmost

Well, Joe Rhode isnt an "on stage" cast member who runs an attraction or appears in a show as a performer in the guests sight. He is an Imagineer behind the scenes. Also Joe Rhode worked for Disney and was highly respected for many years before he took on his lets say bizarre look. I'm sure because of who Joe Rhode is and what hes accomplished for Disney... he can do pretty much anything he likes and no one will get rid of him.
Now if someone showed up for a cast members opening and was to appear in the interview looking like Joe Rode, they would be shown the guidelines and have to adhere to them.
If you check out some of, I think, Martins videos they show Joe doing attractions films from the beginning of Imagination. The barroom scene I think. So that brings it back to the early 80's and his left ear was already close to dragging the ground. So unless he has been there a lot longer then 38 years.... he had that coming in. It doesn't bother me, but, I do think it looks ridiculous for a man his age, but, what do I know. I do know that he will be having to be careful in a few more years so he doesn't trip over his earlobe and break a hip.:jawdrop::joyfull:

James J

In the Parks
No

I'm about to get a tattoo to cover up a mark I was left with after hospital treatment a few years ago. Does that make me immature? Would you walk away from me if you saw me coming and try not to notice me? My mother in her 50s is thinking of getting one to try and cover a nasty scar she's been left with after shoulder surgery as she hates the scar. Would the same apply to her?

As @Mr Ferret 88 said, there are some archaic and antiquated views of people with ink on show in this thread.

mouse_luv

I have personally seen a chef at via napoli with a full sleeves during our trip last year. This happened to turn into a big topic of conversation between myself and my wife during dinner. As far as the stigma of tattoos themselves, nowadays things are so different and it's sad to see some people still have negative perspectives of people with tattoos. If you're skeptical of people that do have tattoos, maybe next time you're in the parks strike up a conversation with someone that has visible tattoos. I bet more times than not you'd be pleasantly surprised with the conversation.
Via Napoli IIRC is not a Disney Owned Restaurant so perhaps that has something to do with it?

EOD K9

I didn’t get my first tattoo until I was in my late 30s. One is my first K9 partner’s paw print and name on my leg. Second was my for each of my daughters (their first initial and birthdate in Roman numerals) on my tricep, third one is a chainring and a bicycle on my other leg. Fourth is a Clemson Tiger Paw on my other tricep and my other is Maui on my forearm. Each one of them has a meaning to me and doesn’t change who I am or how I perform my job. At Disney at least, Maui always gets me some great comments and is a conversation starter.

rcapolete

Boy nothing like coming to a Disney site to read about a tattoo debate. As someone that has tattoos I am confused why that choice would make me less qualified for a job than someone else. Tattoos are a personal choice. They have personal meaning to the person that is not meant to be understood by others. I for one made the choice to have them in places that can be covered but that is irrelevant to the larger debate. Tattoos have been around for thousands of year and as long as they are not offensive in nature then there should be no issues. Now I understand Disneys stance on tattoos and respect that just not sure why people find it ok to fling insults against people that have them, and please don't try to claim that you weren't insulting anyone.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I said I would choose one over the other. Wow with all these comments twisting my words you act like the main stream media.
No .
I asked "if you had hired someone who had tattoos that were covered and you saw them after employing them. Would you then fire them ?
You said "yes"
No twisting words.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you see this guy in the parks do say hello. Don’t be afraid. He won’t bite.

518BC6A5-B69A-47F8-97D4-57EDCAAA080F.jpeg

mergatroid

Original Poster
If you see this guy in the parks do say hello. Don’t be afraid. He won’t bite.

View attachment 270838

I'm not too sure about that Martin, he looks 'well dodgy' to me. In that picture it looks like he's scouring the park for somebody to mug, that's why I always stay away from these tattoo types :D

On a serious note to everyone though, this thread is more about whether Disney will drop their tattoo policy like some other companies have or not. It's not really about the rights or wrongs of having tattoos, though obviously in a debate things can go off on a tangent.

I think that if people want to have tattoos they can, life is about making choices for yourself. I see little point in those criticising them to do so, it's their body and just like choosing clothes they may have a different fashion sense to you.

And for those with tattoos who seem to get a little offended by somebody not liking tattoos, I wouldn't worry about it. You got the tattoos because YOU wanted to, when you got them you must have known that perhaps some others wouldn't like them? So own them, enjoy them and don't let some others not liking them annoy you, what they like shouldn't concern you and means next to nothing in the big scheme of things.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
On a serious note to everyone though, this thread is more about whether Disney will drop their tattoo policy like some other companies have or not. It's not really about the rights or wrongs of having tattoos, though obviously in a debate things can go off on a tangent..
Indeed. I’m just reminding some not to judge a book by the cover they see. Corporate policy will be dictated by management and employees will be expected to adhere to that policy.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I don't think we'll see CMs with tats for the most part, at least in the foreseeable future. I'm not down on tattoos, in fact, at some point, I'll want to get one but given how global Disney is they want to maintain an image that doesn't bring any sort of negativity, regardless of what location/culture is visiting. This is why they don't use a single finger to point, because in some cultures that's considered rude.

Goofyernmost

Indeed. I’m just reminding some not to judge a book by the cover they see. Corporate policy will be dictated by management and employees will be expected to adhere to that policy.
Yes, but, that doesn't make it right if they decide that a tattoo would be a negative thing when there is no basis for that belief other then social stereotype. The biggest offender of them all was Walt himself. Demanding that all CM (males at least) should be clean shaven while he wandered around the park... the very symbol of Disneyland sporting that caterpillar under his nose. How can that not be hypocritical? In other words, Disney has never been consistent in the personal choice discussion. It was a depends who you are where.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, but, that doesn't make it right if they decide that a tattoo would be a negative thing when there is no basis for that belief other then social stereotype..
As I said earlier, stereotype or not there are some cultures that frown upon tattoos. WDW has visitors from all over the world. When we finally get to Tokyo for example I’d be minded to ensure mine don’t show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom