• 500 to 999 miles

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • 1000 to 2000 miles

Votes: 40 37.0%
  • Greater than 2000 miles

Votes: 17 15.7%

• Total voters

NX2I85

It's a 600 mile trip for me. It usually takes 9.5 hours. We typically leave around lunch time and get to WDW around bed time. I really don't think I'd drive if I were any further away.

epcotWSC

We're about 1150 miles (Southern NY, about 18-20 hour drive). We have a group of 5, one of which is elderly and another which is afraid to fly. Plus 5 flights costs like $1400 which is a lot.

We split it up in two days. Day one, leave at like 3am, stop in Florence, South Carolina around 3 or 4pm for the night. Eat at Cracker Barrel for dinner (the food at CB is so much better in the south, btw). Next morning leave between 8 & 9am, get to Disney in the late afternoon.

On the way back it's pretty much the same except we stop in Virginia somewhere.

There are also breakfast & lunch stops thrown in too.

wvdisneyfamily

Reading this thread makes me think my husband and I are the ONLY ones who actually enjoy the drive. We look forward to the drive down because of the stop in Savannah to eat at the Pirate's House and stay at River Street Inn.

Cubs Brian

Reading this thread makes me think my husband and I are the ONLY ones who actually enjoy the drive. We look forward to the drive down because of the stop in Savannah to eat at the Pirate's House and stay at River Street Inn.
You're not the only ones. myself and 2 sons enjoy it very much, DW not so much. But we belive that part of the adventure is the trip itself. America is a beautiful country and the 2 best ways to see it are by car and by train. It's nice to be able to pull over and enjoy things whenever you want. Things like the Shawnee Forest, Mammoth Cave,Lookout Mtn, Ruby Falls, the replica fighter jet as you pass by Warner Robbins in Georgia, Silver Springs and last but not least the Florida Welcome Center(it means we are almost there & free o.j is nice. And that's just for starters. Every trip brings new adventures:)

wvdisneyfamily

You're not the only ones. myself and 2 sons enjoy it very much, DW not so much. But we belive that part of the adventure is the trip itself. America is a beautiful country and the 2 best ways to see it are by car and by train. It's nice to be able to pull over and enjoy things whenever you want. Things like the Shawnee Forest, Mammoth Cave,Lookout Mtn, Ruby Falls, the replica fighter jet as you pass by Warner Robbins in Georgia, Silver Springs and last but not least the Florida Welcome Center(it means we are almost there & free o.j is nice. And that's just for starters. Every trip brings new adventures:)

That's one of our favorites, too. :slurp:

steener618

I drove about 1240 miles to Disney. I live just south of Rochester, NY...took me about 18 hours. My family and I drove from Rochester, NY to Savannah, GA in one day drive (about 14 hours), then another half a day to Disney. Fun, yet long, drive...but it was worth it!

Hopper

It's a 650 mile drive for us which isn't to bad but since we have kids I always fly now. It usally takes about 11 hours for us to drive and about
5 hours total for us to fly. The best thing about flying is that were not worn out when we get there and we don't have to dread the drive back home.

Ajax Redux

We've driven exactly once from our home in Michigan. Believe me, it was a chore. And the only reason we did that was because the total trip was a two week-plus multi-destination extravaganza that included some serious outdoor adventures, so we needed to bring along a lot of 'stuff'.

I much prefer jumping onto the 7am Airtran flight out of Flint, landing in Orlando at 9, and walking down Main Street by noon.

krankenstein

You know, I have lived in Savannah my entire life and never once have I ate at the Pirate's House. I ride by it all the time, but never actually been to it.

Daddymouse

Drove 2400 miles so DS could visit a college. I would drive that distance again to go to WDW. We have driven the 1100 miles on different occasions and even pulled a travel trailer one time. Since it is DW and myself it becomes cheaper to fly than drive.

hcswingfield

We enjoy the drive, too. We take different routes and have found some real treasures on the back roads. There's a tiny little town between Columbus GA and Albany GA called "Parrott" that is nothing but antique stores and art galleries. Definitely worth the stop. Monticello, FL, east of Tallahassee, has some really beautiful old homes and churches. Thomasville, GA has a huge drive-through display of Christmas lights. We took the back roads through Florida once instead of I-75 and passed some really gorgeous horse farms (ranches?) Eufaula, AL also has a large area of incredible vintage homes.

Pens24

I have driven to Disney world twice...it takes us 17 hours from philly but it's not a bad drive down its the drive back:brick:

kmanship

Lived near Memphis and Nashville and flew once... After getting to the airport 1.5 hours early, flying an hour than laying over an hour, then flying another 1.5 hours we decided it wasn't worth it.... especially when the kids got sick on the plane...

It's about a 12 hour drive (700 miles) and the kids are pretty good as long as we have new movies to watch in the car... One time we left at midnight let the kids sleep all night and me, my wife and mother took turns driving.... This year we are leaving at 3:00am and hope to be there by 3:00pm.

5 hours in and out of airports with 3 kids ages 7,3,1 vs. driving 12 hours driving... no question, driving is the better option for us. Plus we save $1500 on airline tickets.

We leave for WDW in 5 days!!!!! Can't wait!

epcotWSC

ocolectr

I will only drive up to 26 miles. Any farther than that and I will be on the other side of WDW from where I live! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom