How Far Ahead Do You Book?

Wisconsin

How far in advance do you typically book your WDW packages? I have been in the 3-6 month time frame but I'm wondering if there is any advantage to booking so far ahead. We don't go at the peak times, so occupancy is never an issue. The room rates do not seem to fluctuate beyond what is announced by the company. It appears my room rate for the dates I pick never changes whether I book 6 months or more out or book 2-3 weeks out. It's nice to be able to pre-pay your Disney vacation after putting $200 down, though. I like to pay off a bit every month and then I'm all paid up at check-in. But I guess that money could be in my pocket instead of Disney's. What do you think?

SMS55

How far in advance do you typically book your WDW packages? I have been in the 3-6 month time frame but I'm wondering if there is any advantage to booking so far ahead.

As a Florida resident it depends. I am going next week. I booked my hotel back in early Setember because I was waiting for their fall rates. I knew I was going on next weekend and I know Disney has promotions for their hotels during that time so I waited. For someone outside of FLorida it might not matter. I have also made last minute arrangements where I decide on Monday to go up for the weekend because the kids have a long weekend.

Upvote 0

R W B

I'm in the 4-6 week range lol. We always have to pay up front because we never book far enough out to make payments. Lol

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It all depends on when, where and dining. If you want to do hard to get dining you will want to book at least 180 days out. If you are looking for a popular room type at a particular resort during a peak or holiday booking at a year or more out is not uncommon. If your resort and dining are not a big priority and you are traveling during value season you can pretty much book whenever.

Upvote 0

Magical Dreamer

I book as far ahead as possible to pay it down as soon as possible.....We're a few days from our 2011 visit and I'm now about 1/2 paid off for our November 2012 trip.

I really seem to enjoy the prepaid vacations....

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

I generally book about 7 months in advance, as that's usually how far in advance pin codes come my way. I can never resist a good pin code. I don't think I would plan a trip sooner than 6 months, because ADR's are a big deal to me. Also, I need the 6 months to save for the trip.

Upvote 0
I usually book about 10--11 months in advance . As we are members of the Vacation club, I need to tie up the flights from the UK with the dates we want at OKW--also vacation dates here as three of our group are teachers!!

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

I also book 10-12 months out. As a single Mom I have to pay down the trip a bit at a time so it's completely paid off at the 45 day mark. I also watch for PIN codes and discounts and as they turn about to my advantage, apply them accordingly with no issues what so ever from Disney. I do my dining rezzies at the 180 day mark. It's all in the planning!:)

Upvote 0

jduran

As a Florida resident it depends. I am going next week. I booked my hotel back in early Setember because I was waiting for their fall rates. I knew I was going on next weekend and I know Disney has promotions for their hotels during that time so I waited. For someone outside of FLorida it might not matter. I have also made last minute arrangements where I decide on Monday to go up for the weekend because the kids have a long weekend.

Def agree here. As a Florida resident I know I have the luxury of waiting until the very last minute (i.e. a few weeks). But I've planned a few trips months in advance. When I went in February 2011, I booked back in Sept 2010. But then I returned a few months later in April and I booked that trip probably 3 weeks before (it was sort of unplanned). Now when I returned in October, I booked that trip shortly after my return in April, with hotel and most reservations done by May.

I'm actually returning in January 2012, and I'm booking a room next week and I already have all the dining reservations done.

Upvote 0

desertrat

I book when I get a discount. I don't see any advantage to booking at rack rate. You can still make dining reservations without having a room reserved.

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Well with children who do not like to miss school...as soon as the school gets it's calendar together, and sometimes it is May or June...if and when they do pick an unusual week off I go into turbo planning mode....so I guess I plan 8-10 months out. Since I am able to cancel up to 5 days out there is no risk in reserving. My goal is usually concierge level and a certain room at that...so my requesting that far ahead gives me comfort. I have to always call a week prior to speak to someone to cement it.....everything else falls in place over time, and I like that bit by bit planning rather than making all those decisions at once! Sure if I won a trip or someone sprang one on me I would happily go with that crazy flow...but I prefer time time time.....:king:

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

I have always book about a year out...give me more time to pay off the trip and save spending cash. Just booked last Friday for 2012 trip and now have a LONG 408 days to wait...so this trip is over a year out.

Upvote 0

Joshua&CalebDad

I booked at the end of this past July for November 2012. I may be a bit on the far end of the spectrum, but it is giving me plenty of time to pay off the vacation. Only 381 days to go. :eek: I can't wait to hit the one year mark, woohoo.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

I'm sure it depends on the frequency of your Disney trips. We only go every other year so we tend to book over a year out so we can look forward to it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom