How early do you put up your Christmas decorations? And when do you take them down?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
@JenniferS would keep hers up all year round and just change the ornaments if she could
I’m not changing the ornaments! It’s perfect the way it is in all its Victorian goodness.

Despite the pouring rain all day, Mike started putting up the lights today.

It’s hard to tell, but in addition to the confetti projections, there are Mickey projections too.

New this year will be hanging Mickey lights for the tree, and a new (not Mickey) inflatable, as well as the eaves lights that he needs help with.

FB8961B6-DAEF-4CDB-9FB1-D18D60F3384E.jpeg4AC2C619-B3AA-483E-9741-B1A47B1138B9.jpeg
66BDC5E3-6887-4E7F-890E-6E080BCB397B.jpeg
A7E8EAAF-796F-490C-86B5-FA342331436F.jpeg

I just got home from work but I can’t wait to post these on FB. People up here lose their minds when you put up your lights before Remembrance Day. It’s the Canadian equivalent of “turkey before tree”. 😂

I need to buy a new tree this year, so it’s not up yet.

Haimia

Usually put up stuff around Thanksgiving and down around New Year's. Last year was totally messed up. I did very little decorating after a 12-day stay in the hospital with pneumonia. DD#2 brought in a 4' tree and decorations and I put out (with DH help) my Disney train. That was around the 13th of December. Stuff also stayed out longer, like second weekend in January, because I just didn't have the motivation!! Hoping for better this year!

HouCuseChickie

I'd also like to note that I tried listening to my holiday playlist and it's officially too early for me. We had gone to see that new Nutcracker movie over the weekend and I started to feel a bit of the holiday bug whenever they wove in some of the traditional Nutcracker/Tchaikovsky music, but after skipping through the first 50+ songs in my holiday playlist (about 165 song total) yesterday and not feeling it...I've decided I'm just not ready.

note2001

I'd also like to note that I tried listening to my holiday playlist and it's officially too early for me. We had gone to see that new Nutcracker movie over the weekend and I started to feel a bit of the holiday bug whenever they wove in some of the traditional Nutcracker/Tchaikovsky music, but after skipping through the first 50+ songs in my holiday playlist (about 165 song total) yesterday and not feeling it...I've decided I'm just not ready.
Me too. I tried to watch and enjoy some streaming last night from the DHS Jingle Bell jingle Bam. Watched the whole thing but really could not feel it. Last week was Halloween and we still have halloween stuff sitting on our counter. Talk to me in December.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Me too. I tried to watch and enjoy some streaming last night from the DHS Jingle Bell jingle Bam. Watched the whole thing but really could not feel it. Last week was Halloween and we still have skulls sitting on our counter (in all fairness my daughter just finished out her job at a local haunt over the weekend and this is all her stuff). Talk to me in December.

I took all of our big Halloween pieces out of the yard over the weekend and hoped that would help, but somehow, I think I have to get past a bday celebration for our younger daughter before I'm ready. Yes, making a narwhal cake may help me find the holiday spirit! :hilarious:

DisneyGigi

Fact: it has been a LONG time since I tried to decorate a tree with a toddler. 😑 This and trying to get ready to leave in a couple of weeks not really working today. I did get a start on my pink girly tree, but he rearranged most of it. (Monica Gellar, here, freaking out lol) Long way to go... Will try again Friday when he goes home. Did get my pallet Charlie Brownish tree out too I made last year!
F919F93F-8B8C-4CCE-AE30-C7C6D60FEEFE.jpeg
68F5C4B4-AC99-4A5C-94FE-4F4F32776506.jpeg
A99892FA-DF9B-4E39-B024-685206BC9F14.jpeg

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Trees (yes, plural) will start going up Saturday after Thanksgiving.

The “big tree” (traditional & handmade)
The “Disney tree”
The “Barbie tree”
The “Big Bang tree” (all the sci-fi and superhero ornaments)
The “fancy” tree (only blown glass ornaments, many of which are Epcot related)
The “Santa” tree (only Santa & snowmen ornaments)

And then there’s the themed wreaths on the door of every room & most closets in the house.

They all stay up until Jan 6, “Little Christmas”, as proscribed by my Irish immigrant parents.

KikoKea

I usually get the tree up during the week after Thanksgiving. I really enjoy the Fall season, so put my Fall stuff out in August because of the Christmas encroachment and I wanted to enjoy my pumpkin/Fall/orange-y decorations as much as possible. But, when the tree goes up, it's red and green and cinnamon/clove! Tree comes down usually by NY Day, but always by the first week of Jan.

I have 2 big boxes of Christmas village houses and stuff, but haven't put it out for years since it is now just DH and me. When the boys were at home, it was fun and they liked messing with it- I found soldiers and dragons battling and all sorts of additions to my carefully planned scenes. Of course, my sweet scarecrow still has his perfect hangman's noose around his neck from dear #2 son's 'help' many years ago. He is also the one who melted several plastic animals together to make a grotesque Christmas tree ornament.:happy:

Nemo14

I usually get the tree up during the week after Thanksgiving. I really enjoy the Fall season, so put my Fall stuff out in August because of the Christmas encroachment and I wanted to enjoy my pumpkin/Fall/orange-y decorations as much as possible. But, when the tree goes up, it's red and green and cinnamon/clove! Tree comes down usually by NY Day, but always by the first week of Jan.

I have 2 big boxes of Christmas village houses and stuff, but haven't put it out for years since it is now just DH and me. When the boys were at home, it was fun and they liked messing with it- I found soldiers and dragons battling and all sorts of additions to my carefully planned scenes. Of course, my sweet scarecrow still has his perfect hangman's noose around his neck from dear #2 son's 'help' many years ago. He is also the one who melted several plastic animals together to make a grotesque Christmas tree ornament.:happy:
I have a set of Department 56 houses that I haven't been able to put out for years because my cats insist on tipping them over. I found some plastic ones at Dollar Tree this year that light up with LED tea light candles, so I might put them under my tree this year - we'll see.

KikoKea

I have a set of Department 56 houses that I haven't been able to put out for years because my cats insist on tipping them over. I found some plastic ones at Dollar Tree this year that light up with LED tea light candles, so I might put them under my tree this year - we'll see.
Have you considered using something to discourage the cats? My mother in law's nasty cat kept knocking her tree over and I think she used moth balls (and a squirt bottle with water).
I have at least a couple dozen houses, probably more, yet I don't use them- such a waste. Maybe I'll dig a few out this year.

Nemo14

Have you considered using something to discourage the cats? My mother in law's nasty cat kept knocking her tree over and I think she used moth balls (and a squirt bottle with water).
I have at least a couple dozen houses, probably more, yet I don't use them- such a waste. Maybe I'll dig a few out this year.
The tree is not a problem really. We used to tie it to the wall, but we haven't needed to do that for quite a while. I'd be afraid that moth balls would make them sick, and the fact is, we travel a lot, so they're home alone and into mischief whenever possible. Quite possibly how they earned their names - Thelma and Louise.

SSH

fun thread and beautiful pics :joyfull: This is the one time of year I'm so jealous of non-Floridians - I don't need cold weather, but something less than 85-90 degrees would be nice. It's already mid Nov and still unusually hot in Sfla. Just not feeling the holiday spirit yet. I check the forecast daily hoping and waiting for the 1st cold front of the season. I was going to hold off decorating until next week, but you've all inspired me - today will be the day. Time to turn my AC waay down and get started. And think cold thoughts. :cold::coldfeet::cold:

KikoKea

fun thread and beautiful pics :joyfull: This is the one time of year I'm so jealous of non-Floridians - I don't need cold weather, but something less than 85-90 degrees would be nice. It's already mid Nov and still unusually hot in Sfla. Just not feeling the holiday spirit yet. I check the forecast daily hoping and waiting for the 1st cold front of the season. I was going to hold off decorating until next week, but you've all inspired me - today will be the day. Time to turn my AC waay down and get started. And think cold thoughts. :cold::coldfeet::cold:
I understand. Spent the past 15 years in Hawaii before returning to SC, and it was sometimes very hard to get into the whole holiday spirit when you were sweating and wishing your house was at least below 85* when you went to bed at night (no AC). But, I did like watching Hallmark's movies, reading Christmas romances, working a snowy Christmas puzzle, playing a video game with snow, etc. I lived vicariously in a cold, snowy place that way.

wdwfan4ver

Sometime after Thanksgiving I put them up and I take them down by the end January. I said sometime after Thanksgiving because I complete putting them up as late as the first week of December. I don't start decorating till Thanksgiving is over and that is how I was brought up.

People do come over after New Years Day that want to see my stuff including Fireworks shooting above the Disney Village Deluxe Castle. I do have Christmas decorations besides Christmas tree and the Disney Deluxe Castle.

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

Well, we got our tree up slightly later than planned (maybe a week after Thanksgiving) and our outdoor 3-D stuff a little late (maybe a week after that) and still haven't put up the strings of lights outdoors yet. (Why am I typing here? Aaaah!)
I didn’t get anything but the pallet tree and my pink tree up until after we got back. (Finished this past week and stopped at 3 skinny tall trees.) The lights are up, but not Mickey and Goofy outside, or the firework Mickey spotlight thing. We just have not had time with the preparing for the snow. I did not have the heart to tweak the big tree, it just takes too long. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom