How early do you put up your Christmas decorations? And when do you take them down?

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
A post in another thread prompted me to ask this. I thought if I asked it there, it might derail the thread.

When I was a kid, we usually put up our Christmas tree and decorations/lights about two weeks before Christmas. Sometimes it may have been slightly earlier to get it done on a weekend, but never before the second week of December.

Mom would put on Johnny Mathis' Christmas 8-track tapes (yes, it was the 70's) and she would start with the lights, the garland, and for whatever reason a set of white glittered butterflies and red shiny cherries, setting a pattern. Then we could join in with the random ornaments collected over the years.

We always took everything down on New Year's Day.

Lately, in my own home I've been thinking about doing it earlier, although I've basically continued her traditions (including Johnny Mathis - adding Mariah Carey - and Emmett Otter.) No butterflies or cherries, but I do make a matched pattern of angels before putting up the mismatched (and lots of Disney) stuff.

Time seems to go faster as you get older, and the season seems shorter. I own two retail stores, so even if we said we'd put the tree up on Thanksgiving night, I'm usually at work on Thanksgiving night putting on the finishing touches for "Black Friday" morning.

Putting it up before Thanksgiving dinner is a line I can't cross. Plus we have a birthday 12/3 and I don't like to mix that up with Christmas.

We typically end up doing it in early December, but last year it ended up being really late, like a week before Christmas, and I didn't feel like that was long enough, so I left them up longer after New Year's!

Anyway, what do you do? It can be any holiday, year round.

KellBelle

I try and get a tree/decorations up shortly after Thanksgiving, but never Black Friday, that in itself is a holiday to me ;). I almost always will take them down shortly after New Year's Day. I agree that doing it all so late really makes it feel almost not worth all of the effort. I love that you kept up your family traditions, we did not have many, but I always wish that we did.

Nemo14

We always did a real tree, and we'd put it up 2 weeks before Christmas and take it down New Years Day. However, now that my kids live out of state, we spend the holidays with them, so we're a little leary of leaving the tree with no water for that long, so we reluctantly gave in to having an artificial tree. We tend to put it up a little earlier now, but still take it down on New Years Day. Our decorations are kind of a mixed assortment of memorabelia from places we've been or things that we've done. I'm currently in search of a suitable squirrel ornament to commemorate the adventures we had when a squirrel invaded our house while we vacationed in Florida and tried to eat his way out through my kitchen window.

DisneyFreak

As I work for a company that has it's fiscal year end November 30th and I am extremely busy the last week of November and the first two weeks of December, our decorations go up about the 2nd weekend in November but nothing gets lit (except me) until Friday after Thanksgiving. Decorations then usually come down on the weekend after New Years.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
We always did a real tree, and we'd put it up 2 weeks before Christmas and take it down New Years Day. However, now that my kids live out of state, we spend the holidays with them, so we're a little leary of leaving the tree with no water for that long, so we reluctantly gave in to having an artificial tree. We tend to put it up a little earlier now, but still take it down on New Years Day. Our decorations are kind of a mixed assortment of memorabelia from places we've been or things that we've done. I'm currently in search of a suitable squirrel ornament to commemorate the adventures we had when a squirrel invaded our house while we vacationed in Florida and tried to eat his way out through my kitchen window.

We never did real trees! I’m not sure why. I did one as an adult, I think.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
As I work for a company that has it's fiscal year end November 30th and I am extremely busy the last week of November and the first two weeks of December, our decorations go up about the 2nd weekend in November but nothing gets lit (except me) until Friday after Thanksgiving. Decorations then usually come down on the weekend after New Years.

That’s actually a good compromise that might work for us! Thank you!

We could even just get the tree set up and save the ornaments for 12/4-ish. Sometimes that’s the biggest hurdle.

KBLovedDisney

We never did real trees! I’m not sure why. I did one as an adult, I think.
We did a real tree when I was a kid. One time it was so big and we didn't have enough rope to tight it on the top of the van, so my dad opened up the back window and me and my siblings were sitting beside it. We had a National Lampoon's Christmas moment in the car, when not a squirrel, but a giant grasshopper decided to grace us with his presence and scared the living daylights out of us as he is hopping throughout the car. Dad was yelling, mom was screaming, sister and I were screaming..and my brother was laughing his butt off.

Those moments are priceless.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
We did a real tree when I was a kid. One time it was so big and we didn't have enough rope to tight it on the top of the van, so my dad opened up the back window and me and my siblings were sitting beside it. We had a National Lampoon's Christmas moment in the car, when not a squirrel, but a giant grasshopper decided to grace us with his presence and scared the living daylights out of us as he is hopping throughout the car. Dad was yelling, mom was screaming, sister and I were screaming..and my brother was laughing his butt off.

Those moments are priceless.

Omg hysterical!

Goofyernmost

Don't put one up so I don't have to take it down. I live alone and go to my Daughters on Christmas eve and Christmas day so there is no real need for one. I lost my excitement about Christmas starting back when I worked in Retail and then later when I worked in printing and advertising. I spent more time away from my family back then, then I did with them. Christmas day was always a letdown for me at that point followed by months of cold snowy nothingness. Other then that it was a hoot. At least around here I have been known to play golf on the day after Christmas.

zeedan

Outside lights are set up beginning on the Friday afternoon/evening following Thanksgiving. NW Ohio weather can be very cold and winter-like at this time so I usually hope for at least a wind-free day. I usually finish with outside on the following day. The outside lights aren't to the extent of the Osborne but total around 9-10,000 lights. The inside of the house moves a bit slower with bits and pieces being put up in the first 2 weeks of December. We'll probably put a real tree up around December 7-8 and take it down on New years day or the next.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom