How does disney verify ages of children?

krankenstein

You sure about that?:lookaroun

norm-447a04d099eed-Back+To+The+Future+2.jpeg

:lol:

What about this one? :lookaroun

ToTBellHop

What about this one? :lookaroun

I think if I had a locomotive time machine (lest we forget, the car was destroyed...), I'd go back further and prevent Jay Rasulo from getting promoted (and a few others)--that, alone, would more than make up for pretending a child is a year younger than he actually is.

DisneyJoe

I've had this discussion a few times with my youngest brother, we basically disagreed mostly because of the fact that he was teaching both of his young children to lie - both of whom he is paying big money to send to a private Catholic school......

DisneyJoe

It is mostly based on an honor system, however, the age of your children are logged into their computer records once they are given during an initial reservation or purchase. The age of a child is subsequently advanced in their records as time progresses.
Very good point - and don't forget the upcoming "What Will You Celebrate?" promotion where Disney will actively log many guests actual birthdates in their computer systems!

Disney Cruise Line has everyone's birthdates too.

teebin

Everyone here is talking about an honor system, when Disney's markup on products is 500-1000%. 500,000 shirts of one design from China isn't costing the D $20 a piece. More like $1-$5 a piece, if that. But that shirt at Disney will cost you $45 to $60 in a park. If that is honor then call me stupid. So, cheat the system a bit with your kids ages. Disney has already factored it in.

Edit is. Go to a walmart in the area to buy your disney merch. That way you will only be paying a 200-300% markup. Then go to the parks all decked out in the somewhat pride that you saved. There are many so-called "Disney Walmarts" within a short 1 mile trip from Disney.

maggiegrace1

Everyone here is talking about an honor system, when Disney's markup on products is 500-1000%. 500,000 shirts of one design from China isn't costing the D $20 a piece. More like $1-$5 a piece, if that. But that shirt at Disney will cost you $45 to $60 in a park. If that is honor then call me stupid. So, cheat the system a bit with your kids ages. Disney has already factored it in.

Edit is. Go to a walmart in the area to buy your disney merch. That way you will only be paying a 200-300% markup. Then go to the parks all decked out in the somewhat pride that you saved. There are many so-called "Disney Walmarts" within a short 1 mile trip from Disney.
All the shirts at Disney Walmarts and the Disney Soub=veneir shops off property have Orlando Or Florida on there somewhere and look tacky..to me at least..:shrug:

KInda like buying a Fleur De Lis shirt in the French Quarter with new Orleans on it..I refuse to do that..guess cause I live here though..:shrug:

yankspy

I am not following your logic here. Are you saying that if Disney is acting dishonorably, that gives us the green light to also act dishonorably?

krankenstein

Sorry if it offends you, but that is the system in place. If anyone said differently it would be a lie. It isn't like they ask for a birth certificate or anything. :shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think if I had a locomotive time machine (lest we forget, the car was destroyed...), I'd go back further and prevent Jay Rasulo from getting promoted (and a few others)--that, alone, would more than make up for pretending a child is a year younger than he actually is.

But, if you did that, then Jay and company would never have had been promoted, so your redeeming good deed would not count against your perceived transgression....

Oh... the paradox of time travel!

Phonedave

See, this is the attitude that really gets to me. The poster that said she got her child in, explained why she did it, admitted that it was lying/cheating/stealing/whatever and feels bad about it - I am cool with that. She knows she lied, admitted she lied, and even feels bad about it.

But to try and justify it by the prices that WDW charges for shirts, well that makes no sense. Are you entitled to a shirt for some reason? Is there a rule or law that dictates what the maximum allowable markup is?

If you are going to do something dishonest, then suck it up and admit its dishonest. I can tolerate an honest theif - I have done some things that are not honest (like being rung up short - very short - and not mentioning it) but I am honest about being dishonest. Not telling the cashier was dishonest, and I admit that, but its what I did. No excuses about the markup in that store.

To try and justify it by making excuses is just a cop out.

-dave

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I think I miss the logic here. Are you saying that because Disney charges more for merchandise that you (and I) believe such merchandise is really worth, that guests are justified in lying to save money? Or perhaps you are suggesting that because Disney makes so much money off of the prices it charges, guests are justified in lying to avoid paying those prices?

If so, I would say that you do not understand what honor is.

If you were just trying to give advice to buy merchandise off-site, so that paying the posted prices for admission wouldn't feel so bad, I agree with you.

LilMommyBug

Anyone else think the prices should be set by height instead of age? If I have an extremely short 3 year old - she cant ride the same rides her 6 year old brother does.. yet I have to pay the same price for her to get in?

Erika

Anyone else think the prices should be set by height instead of age? If I have an extremely short 3 year old - she cant ride the same rides her 6 year old brother does.. yet I have to pay the same price for her to get in?

I never really thought of it that way. With my 2 year old being into a lot of rides and attractions that a lot of teens (admittedly a lot older than your son) would prefer to skip, I sort of take the free admission as a gift. It's a smart gift, since it probably gets a lot more families through the gates, but it's not like other destinations where there is nothing for kids to do. :shrug:

hwdelien

That would make a lot of sense. Six Flags, for example is based on 48 inches.

Sam02

We have a local theme park that is based off both height and age. 2 and under are free. 2 years old to 48" (regardless of age) are Junior priced. 48" (regardless of age) and taller are adult price. This is basically due to height restrictions for the rides. Except for a couple rides anyone over 48" has the ability to ride the majority of the rides and therefore pays full price for admission. Under 48" you are basically limited to the "kiddie" rides or riding with an adult (i.e. not by yourself) on the more "tame" adult rides. Under 2 and you really don't get to ride any ride, except for a very few "kiddie" rides.

I really like this set up. We definately used it when my son was not quite 48". He got in at the Junior price, got to ride most of the rides, and we all had fun.

Disneykidder

They don't check or even ask. When our son was 2 1/2, we didn't pay for him but did when he was 3 1/2 and 4 1/2. It is just called trust and honor. I didn't feel the need to lie about my childs age to pay a couple hundred dollars less.

But the height thing also works the other way. I have a tall child. Just because he may be able to ride RNRC or ToT, doesn't mean I will allow him to do it at age 4.

happymom52003

Keep in mind though that the vast majority of rides and attractions at WDW do not have height requirements. If the opposite were true and WDW had very few rides/attractions that shorter children could not ride, then I could see how charging based on height would be justified. Also, there are alot of people who can't ride everything due to health restrictions (myself included), but I still have to pay the same amount as someone who can ride everything.
I think charging by age works better for Disney. But I could see how places like Six Flags would charge by height since there are fewer things very young children can do compared to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom