How do you get to ride in the front of the monrail?

kybred72

Is it just a matter of luck, asking politely and no one else waiting or is there some special tip or trick?

Thanks~

Just wanna make this 1st trip for my hubby and daughter the most magical it can be!

sbkline

Is it just a matter of luck, asking politely and no one else waiting or is there some special tip or trick?

Thanks~

Just wanna make this 1st trip for my hubby and daughter the most magical it can be!

I think you get "reservations". And if there are no reservations, then I think it's first come first serve. I say this because we wanted to get the front car of the monorail one morning, but they said that they were already expecting a family, and the driver had a clipboard in his hand and seemed to look at the clipboard when approaching the family who he thought had the reservation. And it was the family that he had down. So apparently, he had their names written on his clipboard.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Thanks~

Being polite has quite a bit to do with it. We have been lucky to have been chosen twice. We always politely ask the CM if its possible to ride up front, the usual answer is "if its open". We have been offered the opportunity to wait for the next monorail when the front was occupied, but usually don't wait. If you go up to the CM and explain that its a first trip for your DH and DD you may have a better chance.

Upvote 0

kybred72

Original Poster
Being polite has quite a bit to do with it. We have been lucky to have been chosen twice. We always politely ask the CM if its possible to ride up front, the usual answer is "if its open". We have been offered the opportunity to wait for the next monorail when the front was occupied, but usually don't wait. If you go up to the CM and explain that its a first trip for your DH and DD you may have a better chance.

sure! I'll turn on the charm! :animwink: I do hope we get to do it. I'd be interested in knowing if there's a reservations list to get on! Geesh, might have to start booking that out 180 days in advance like Le Cellier! :p

Upvote 0

happymom52003

It is much easier to do it on the monorail to epcot vs. the MK resort loop. All you do is ask the CM when you get in line for the monorail. Sometimes you might have to wait until the next train if there is already a family in front of you waiting to do it. Also, dont try to do it at closing! Do it during a slower time. We've never had to make any type of reservation....not sure what that is all about. But everytime we have asked to do it on the MK loop, they always tell us they are full. But we have never had that happen going to Epcot....we have been able to do it every time we ask.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

sure! I'll turn on the charm! :animwink: I do hope we get to do it. I be interested in knowing if there's a reservations list to get on! Geesh, might have to start booking that out 180 days in advance like Le Cellier! :p
I've never seen a reservation list and we've ridden in the front several times. It's easiest to get it early in the afternoon when things calm down a bit. Just ask the CM at the top of the ramp. You might have to wait for the next monorail, but it's worth it to do it at least once.

Upvote 0
You don't have to do anything special to sit in the front. Just ask. They only let 4 people at a time up front, so as long as there's room they'll let you. I do it all the time.

Upvote 0

LAPVLB

Yep, just ask. They are almost always happy to oblige.

I also recommend you try getting a cab seat in an Epcot monorail from the Transportation and Ticket Center to Epcot, not only because it's a lot longer of a loop, but because you get a fantastic view of Future World and the World Showcase Lagoon from the best seat possible-- the Highway in the Sky! Hope you have a magical vacation!

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

Politely ask, be willing to wait, and you should be okay.

I've never heard of reservations before.

Your kids might get honorary monorail pilot licenses too.

Upvote 0

mechurchlady

First thing is to politely ask the CM at the station to sit in the cab. CMs can only load one party at a time which may mean a long wait. There are no rear cab rides any more.

Due to the design of the cab there is a weight limit. The problem is that if 5 kids are allowed to ride then some parties with 5 adults would want to ride. To avoid an argument the limit is 4 persons of any age or size. There is no debating this with CMs.

Try to go when there is a slow time in the monorails. Your have a better chance at 11 am than at closing time. Check youtube for videos and check the maps for which route you might like best.

Have fun.

Upvote 0

Adreamisawish

We have been to WDW 3 times with our children.

Who DOESN'T want to make it a Magical Experience for their children, and who deserves it more than another?

We have an adult autistic daughter...she LOVES anything Disney...yet whenever we have tried to make it a more "Magical Experience" for her (without her knowledge) we have been denied the chance.

We have never been pushy or thought we deserved or were entitled to be treated better than others....we just sort of mentioned to CM's that she really loved anything having to do with Mickey, the Princesses, or Tinkerbell.

The CM's looked at her, and couldn't see her disability because it doesn't show, but it has broken our daugther's heart more than once when she has been passed up by a Character that she just wanted to have a picture with.

Can you all think about that when you want to have your children experience a "Magical Time"?

My daughter finds her "Magical Times" at Disney just by being there. She doesn't NEED, or EXPECTS any special treatment that isn't offerred to anyone else.

Please don't flame me. I have had to deal with this for almost 30 years.

I just wanted you all to stop and think what a "Magical Moment" is all about and what you are teaching your children by trying to make it happen for them at WDW instead of letting them find their "Magical Moments and Experiences" on their own.

Upvote 0

stalkingmickey

we rode in the front at least four times on our last trip, which was last week. One day we rode in front twice in the same day. Just ask, if no one is already waiting in line then they will say yes.

Upvote 0

ThumpersThought

There are no reservations. The clipboard you saw was most likely the daily cast schedule.

Number one tip of getting in the front: Ask the first CM you see. Don't wait until you're at the front car. We use hand signals, so, if you wait until you're already down the platform, a family behind you may have asked and their request was signalled forward. Every platform works a little different, so if you ask that first CM, they'll let you know what you need to do.

Many guests think they must be travelling with children to ride in front. All guests are welcome.

Upvote 0

mickeydude

my too young boys got to sit in the front of the monorail because the driver got out and asked them if they wanted to sit in the front,
they loved it in there, there is like only four or five people which can fit in the front. some CM's were in the front to they said so i wonder if CM's get a privalige or something?
and i've never heard of a list to get in
i think its just luck and nice drivers that get u in the front

Upvote 0

stalkingmickey

my too young boys got to sit in the front of the monorail because the driver got out and asked them if they wanted to sit in the front,
they loved it in there, there is like only four or five people which can fit in the front. some CM's were in the front to they said so i wonder if CM's get a privalige or something?
and i've never heard of a list to get in
i think its just luck and nice drivers that get u in the front

No luck involved you just have to ask.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Oh dear.. so much misconception..

a) It's entirely first come, first serve. No making reservations or magical moments - though you might enjoy it.

There are queues at some stations, ask the CM where it is. If you see a little switchback with little gates up by the front of the train - that would be the line. Also, sometimes its seats. Ever notice the bench at the TTC that is purple and has 4 monorail logos on it? That was to mark the next group who was riding up front. Not sure if that's gone now and replaced with the queue - but it existed for a long time.

About getting turned down, even if you appear to be first - Monorails have home stations each day. This really doesn't affect the Epcot or MK Express, but the resort monorails are each assigned to a home station. If someone is riding in the front cab and continuing on, and the monorail is not stopping at its home resort, those people stay put. You can get in anywhere if its empty, but may have to hop out if the next resort is the home resort and there's someone else there who wants to ride.

Also, pilots can request not to have folks up front for various reasons. They are working up there you know.

b) How to accomplish it?

Ask. There should be a human being at the station, they will direct you to the proper area to wait or tell you it wont be possible - if you really want to ride, mention you're willing to wait for the next train.

I ride the monorails around in circles sometimes just to relax or chill during a trip. I sometimes ride upfront, and have never had a problem in doing so. I also do it during slower parts of the day, and wont ask if it looks like someone else is trying to do it (wait by the front car and craning their neck to see if someone is in the cab) because i've done it plenty of times.

Certainly no one was left out because i rode up front, it's not like another monorail didn't arrive in a few minutes.

Upvote 0

ThumpersThought

Oh dear.. so much misconception..
Certainly no one was left out because i rode up front, it's not like another monorail didn't arrive in a few minutes.

It always surprises me when guests feel guilty about riding up front. We'll arrive at a station and they'll say, "Oh, I'll move to the back if I have to." If we let you in the front, enjoy your ride!

How long can you ride?
  • Express and Epcot - One stop. Now, if no one is waiting, you can ask to stay on, but it is relatively rare that someone isn't waiting.
  • Resort - One lap or until the train reaches its home platform (as Merf described), whichever is first. Again, if no one is waiting, you may be able to stay on... but the one lap rule is almost always applied. (especially late at night. We may not make it back to all resorts)
One clarification, though -- the pilot cannot decide to not load the front. That said, there are circumstances where the front won't be loaded. A partial list is: weather (hard rain, fog, high wind), POTUS on property, training, certain safety exersizes, if the cab AC goes out (you want to lose weight? Pilot a monorail when the front cab AC is out). A pilot can request their cab remain empty, but a manager or Monorail Central has to approve.

And as a gift for every pilot out there: Please, don't hop out of the train and ask if the front is now available. Pilots cannot load the front from the guests in the train (remember, it's the CMs on the platforms that are keeping track of who rides in the front). There is nothing more heartbreaking than to watch a family come running out of car 6 (always happens on the Resort line) and you have to send them back. (watch carefully at some of the resort stations, some pilots will vanish -- no one enjoys saying "no" to a guest) We want you to be able to ride up front -- just needs to be in controlled order, so please ask at the platform!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom