How do you do it?

CheshireCatStef

Original Poster
Okay, just got back, and I have a question for the ladies. How do you DO it?
Everyone always just looks so together! I swear, I take the initial tram ride to the gate at MK (we walk at the other parks) and I look like I've been on Mr Toads Wild Ride. My hairs all crazy, I'm sweating like a you know what... I don't see anyone else dripping with sweat, hair all disheveled... does everyone carry brushes or something? One trip on SM or RRC or Kali, and I look like heck... while everyone else seems to look like they just stepped out of the salon. And I'm a south Florida native. How do you northerners not look like your melting away? My poor boys are always soaked and sweaty, and they're not big guys...
Tips? Hints?

stewdog1

Okay, just got back, and I have a question for the ladies. How do you DO it?
Everyone always just looks so together! I swear, I take the initial tram ride to the gate at MK (we walk at the other parks) and I look like I've been on Mr Toads Wild Ride. My hairs all crazy, I'm sweating like a you know what... I don't see anyone else dripping with sweat, hair all disheveled... does everyone carry brushes or something? One trip on SM or RRC or Kali, and I look like heck... while everyone else seems to look like they just stepped out of the salon. And I'm a south Florida native. How do you northerners not look like your melting away? My poor boys are always soaked and sweaty, and they're not big guys...
Tips? Hints?

I didn't think that women sweat, they perspire.

The sweat sounds like a genetics thing for you guys in all honesty. As for the hair, well, that's why they make hats. :)

loveofamouse

I usually wear my hair in a pony. So not as windblown :) as for sweat, great deo helps. I use a men's deo Mitchum Gel. The stuff is awesome! Also, I go in the a.m. so it's cooler outside. Im from N. Fl

DizneyPryncess

Braids. It keeps it out of my face, I don't have to worry about it. Last week the humidity was SO bad, when I tried to leave my hair down & straight it was a wreck. I thought the same thing you did when I looked at some girls! Some of their hair is perfect, and I don't know how it stays.

Missymoe4

Braids. It keeps it out of my face, I don't have to worry about it. Last week the humidity was SO bad, when I tried to leave my hair down & straight it was a wreck. I thought the same thing you did when I looked at some girls! Some of their hair is perfect, and I don't know how it stays.

I look at all the women and wonder the same thing. I feel like I'm dripping and melting away when I'm in WDW during the summer (I'm a Chicago native).

However, when I look back at pictures I don't look half as bad as I felt.

I was thinking this morning about learning to braid my hair. I do have shorter hair though and keep it off my neck...but the braid thing is a good idea...one I'm gonna practice over the next few months prior to going.

Any other suggestions ladies?

sweetpee_1993

First & foremost, we don't **usually** go to WDW when it's hot. I hate hot. I get extremely grumpy & it doesn't make for a good time. Coincidentally, the same not-so-hot time is also the less-rainy season. WooHOOO!

That aside, last May when I was there with my brother & his girls I started to understand what the ladies talk about when they discuss this topic.

Okay. Secret #1. I don't like to be rushed getting ready. I get up earlier than everyone else, get my shower, then get well into my routine before I start to stir the rest of the family.

Secret #2. I live where it's hot & humid & awful. Biggest tip: stay inside during the hottest part of the day. My hair is naturally wavy-curly-ish which looks like crappola without help. I use decent products that don't dry my hair. I spray Keratin spray in while it's wet, smooth in an anti-frizz serum & straightening gel, blow dry carefully (with hair as long as mine it takes no less than 20 minutes), then section & straighten with the Chi iron. After it's done ((***BIG tip alert***)) I flip my hair over, spray it down with a light, non-sticky hairspray (I use Bumble & Bumble Classic Spray...the big can lasts me 4 or 5 months), flip back over, and carefully spray all through with a light mist. Immediately comb it & get the fly-aways to tame. I'm careful not to over-wash my hair so it doesn't become dry & brittle. I can only wash every 3rd day.

Secret #3. Mineral makeup! That stuff is awesome! It has an SPF in it, doesn't streak, and is so quick & easy to apply. Give yourself a quick dust with a quality mineral powder makeup & your skin will thank you!

I carry a comb, mineral powder, lip gloss, & sometimes mascara. Whenever I use the ladies room I stop by the mirror & fluff. When I'm sitting down for more than 3 minutes, I take a quicky peek at myself in my mirror. It only takes a minute or two to touch up ever few hours & it makes me feel a gazillion times better. I'd be miserable if I didn't feel together. :wave:

All that said, last May I was miserable, my hair wanted to frizz all the time, so I gave up & squinched it up into a fluffy pony wet every day towards the end. If it started looking frizzy or unkept I'd wet my fingers, dampen the hair, and voilla! Perfect again!

oommggitskait

LOVE THIS THREAD. Hilarious, yet so true.
I have long thin hair -- so you can imagine I end up looking like a hot mess in the humidity as well. I usually try and "scrunch" it. So I still look a little put together, but it holds up better in the humidity. And if it gets wet/humid/gross .. I can pull it back and it still looks kind of cute/mess like I planned it that way :)

I have a question - how do some of you ladies get away with wearing sandals all day. Don't get me wrong - I am a flip flop FANATIC. First sign of spring and I've ditched my uggs and thrown on flip flops. But I can't walk around WDW in them all day! My feet and ankles are so sore by the end of the day. (And I'd have my mother saying I TOLD YOU SO) I have to wear sneakers , which are obviously much less cute! How do you do it??

LoriMistress

First & foremost, we don't **usually** go to WDW when it's hot. I hate hot. I get extremely grumpy & it doesn't make for a good time. Coincidentally, the same not-so-hot time is also the less-rainy season. WooHOOO!

That aside, last May when I was there with my brother & his girls I started to understand what the ladies talk about when they discuss this topic.

Okay. Secret #1. I don't like to be rushed getting ready. I get up earlier than everyone else, get my shower, then get well into my routine before I start to stir the rest of the family.

Secret #2. I live where it's hot & humid & awful. Biggest tip: stay inside during the hottest part of the day. My hair is naturally wavy-curly-ish which looks like crappola without help. I use decent products that don't dry my hair. I spray Keratin spray in while it's wet, smooth in an anti-frizz serum & straightening gel, blow dry carefully (with hair as long as mine it takes no less than 20 minutes), then section & straighten with the Chi iron. After it's done ((***BIG tip alert***)) I flip my hair over, spray it down with a light, non-sticky hairspray (I use Bumble & Bumble Classic Spray...the big can lasts me 4 or 5 months), flip back over, and carefully spray all through with a light mist. Immediately comb it & get the fly-aways to tame. I'm careful not to over-wash my hair so it doesn't become dry & brittle. I can only wash every 3rd day.

Secret #3. Mineral makeup! That stuff is awesome! It has an SPF in it, doesn't streak, and is so quick & easy to apply. Give yourself a quick dust with a quality mineral powder makeup & your skin will thank you!

I carry a comb, mineral powder, lip gloss, & sometimes mascara. Whenever I use the ladies room I stop by the mirror & fluff. When I'm sitting down for more than 3 minutes, I take a quicky peek at myself in my mirror. It only takes a minute or two to touch up ever few hours & it makes me feel a gazillion times better. I'd be miserable if I didn't feel together. :wave:

All that said, last May I was miserable, my hair wanted to frizz all the time, so I gave up & squinched it up into a fluffy pony wet every day towards the end. If it started looking frizzy or unkept I'd wet my fingers, dampen the hair, and voilla! Perfect again!

I'm with you! We go to WDW during off season (fall/winter season), to avoid the humidity and the heat. I get up early to take my shower, do my hair, make up, etc. I use mineral make up, and I do keep make up in my backpack to freshen up in the parks. Normally, I don't do my hair because regardless how the weather is, my hair will go to it's normal "hot mess" within a few hours. I only do my hair when we're eating at a nice restaurant for dinner. We hit the parks first thing in the morning, leave around 12-1pm, go back to our resort to relax for a few hours, get freshened up and hit the parks again or visit a deluxe resort and have a nice dinner. Normally, I just put my hair in a headband so my hair is outta my face.

sweetpee_1993

Last May even my best efforts couldn't keep my hair from frizzing bad. I was not happy. Braids & scrunchy ponies are about all I could do. The rain was awful. Oh! Forgot to mention I don't do water rides. I don't like to smell like funky feet water. If I'm hot & need refreshment I'll sit inside somewhere with a cold water.

I'm a firm believer in the mid-day rest, like Lori. Gives me a rest plus a chance to freshen my face/hair.

sweetpee_1993

Forgot to mention it but I read all the raves about the mineral foundation makeup on another Disney forum. The recomendations from other chicks is what got me to try it & now I'm hooked. :animwink:

CheshireCatStef

Original Poster
Last May even my best efforts couldn't keep my hair from frizzing bad. I was not happy. Braids & scrunchy ponies are about all I could do. The rain was awful. Oh! Forgot to mention I don't do water rides. I don't like to smell like funky feet water. If I'm hot & need refreshment I'll sit inside somewhere with a cold water.

I'm a firm believer in the mid-day rest, like Lori. Gives me a rest plus a chance to freshen my face/hair.

OMG - Last May it rained EVERY day of our ten day trip... not the "if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes" norm of South Florida, but ALL day EVERY day... I didn't even try.

My main problems are:
1. I loathe hats and headbands, and
2. I can't wear my hair in pony's because it gets too heavy and gives me a headache. If I'm not in Disney, I never ever ever wear my hair up at all.
I do do braids once in a while. I usually pull the top half of my hair into a braid down the middle, and then the bottom half into another braid down the middle right under it. I've never seen anyone else do it, and it looks pretty cool with my hair being dyed blonde on the top half and dark brown underneath. I end up with a blonde braid and a brown one. But that's usually only on the Animal Kingdom day. Love love love all the rides, water ones included. There are only two rides I cant do at Disney, Everest because of the backwards, and Primevil Whirl.

Love love love the mineral makeup... I usually do that and mascara and that's it. I don't carry anything in the parks except our tickets and my camera. Hubby carries the backpack, and I don't take a brush or anything like that. We're pretty diehard, once we're at a park, we are there til it closes... come wind/rain or hurricane, lol...

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I am SO relieved that I'm not alone...

On the shoe topic, a couple years ago I took to wearing crocs maryjanes in the parks. It's the only place I wear them, and I don't wear any other shoes. They rock for it, light as air, can get wet and dry in like 5 minutes, and you can put cute light up tinkerbell jibbitz in them!
I don't know how people wear flip flops or even better, HIGH HEELS :eek: all day... CRAZY!

loveofamouse

I have a question - how do some of you ladies get away with wearing sandals all day. Don't get me wrong - I am a flip flop FANATIC. First sign of spring and I've ditched my uggs and thrown on flip flops. But I can't walk around WDW in them all day! My feet and ankles are so sore by the end of the day. (And I'd have my mother saying I TOLD YOU SO) I have to wear sneakers , which are obviously much less cute! How do you do it??

You can get cute Tennies. Try sketchers. I am a flip flop nut and I live here in FL but for Disney, it's Tennies. I usually wear sketchers or K Swiss but, the main thing for me, It's a theme park. I am not here to impress anyone. Im here for a good time. Fashion is different everywhere so, no matter how hard I try, SOMEONE is going to diss my clothes. Put on a comfy but cute top, comfy but practical bottoms, some nice clean new shoes. Hair in a cute pony with bangs swept to the side. Minimal makeup and go! For pics, I let my hair down( I have a round face so pony pics make me look fat and bald lol). I have good thick long hair. I can't wear it down the entire day as it gets hot on my neck but a pony O on the stroller or in a bag can save the day.

And don't get me started on my hair washing routine. lol

sweetpee_1993

I got some of the Minnie Jane Crocs a couple years ago & only wear them at WDW. They're cute & fun and feel really good on my feet. In the warmer weather I wear my Havaiianas flip flops. They're as comfy as my crocs & go with everything. My feet hurt if I wear my sneakers in the parks. Normally I only wear those for running & that's it.

What I wear & how I fuss to make myself feel presentable is purely for me. If I didn't I'd be uncomfortable all day which is no fun. I guess us girls just gotta find what works for each of us & go with it.

emerald28

Birkenstocks are very comfortable, very good for your feet, and come in very cute styles. :)

Originally posted by CheshireCatStef: I can't wear my hair in pony's because it gets too heavy and gives me a headache.

That's me. I usually get my hair cut off before I go to WDW! :lol: (And I'm also all for going when it's not so hot outside.)

I do sneakers..I did get a pair of Merrells for my trip last May. They have a tennis shoe type bottom, but a more sandal looking kind of top. My husband says they are the ugliest shoes he's ever seen. lol They're comfortable tho. I'm not out to win a beauty contest, I'm just out to have a good time. I look rough by the end of the day..no big deal for me..just means I had a really fun day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom