How do YOU deal with that rude park guest?

Violet

The rude behavior is all because it is too crowded so much of the time. You can't pack people into enclosed spaces and lines for everything and expect that they are going to be nice to each other.

If we all had more space, I think most guests would seem like sweethearts :)

Runmyhorse

I think much of the problem is that there is no consensus anymore about what constitutes polite behaviour.

The woman honking her horn as her scooter runs over everybody in her way posts on Disney sites too, bragging how she doesn't take crap from anybody and doesn't mince words when people stop in the middle of the street.

It's very sad. I blame the internets, which cultivates abrasive behaviour.

Oh wow does she really?

Runmyhorse

The rude behavior is all because it is too crowded so much of the time. You can't pack people into enclosed spaces and lines for everything and expect that they are going to be nice to each other.

If we all had more space, I think most guests would seem like sweethearts :)

Honestly I kindof agree with this but I think the problem is everyone has I paid a ton of money for this trip and I have the right to enjoy it attitude and they tend to forget everyone paid alot to be there or maybe they just dont care if the other person did.I think outside of disney most people are very sweet and have manners

SAV

I will always say something to the obnoxious teen type. And it is always dripping with sarcasm. So it comes off quite snotty I would say.

If someone is up my a$$ in line and hitting in to me constantly, I will tell look back and say something like "Can you back up and stop hitting in to me? It's getting pretty old." If it is a little one, I'll ignore it for quite a bit longer and then I'll usually just switch places with one of the kids or something to get away from them. Kids are gonna be fidgety in a long line.

Very few people are going to cut in front of me in line either. I will let a parent go through if they are trying to catch up with the rest of the party or if it is an obvious potty situation with a little one, I'll let them go past too. If not, I'll tell them "they can wait for you to get up to them or you can catch up with them after the ride. You're not going past me.". Yeah, I get some looks. And if they comment under their breath, I normally will say even more that they "aren't special and need to respect everyone else in line".

I had someone decide that they were going to cut right in front of me while pushing my son in his stroller. I made the quick stop, but it pi$$ed me off, so my reaction was to shout out "Oh, don't worry about us, we were just walking along. I guess you're just so important that you can cut us off and get to where you are going".

My wife will usually give me a look or tell me to stop. I guess that doesn't work so well, does it?

jmorri26

Original Poster
I don't really care when people get the whole "we paid to be here" mentality. Cause like others said- we all did! I think the people cutting in lines or shoving or whatever are just inconsiderate mean people- probably the same ones cutting you off or tailing you in traffic going home or whacking you in the ankles with their shopping carts at the store. Some people are just entitled feeling jerks. And in this case, they're jerks who shelled out money so that mentality goes into hyperdrive.
I think we, most of us at least, were raised with some manners and basic human decency and especially at Disney, rude people have an easier time of taking advantage of people like that who are nicer or more reserved.

Violet

Honestly I kindof agree with this but I think the problem is everyone has I paid a ton of money for this trip and I have the right to enjoy it attitude and they tend to forget everyone paid alot to be there or maybe they just dont care if the other person did.I think outside of disney most people are very sweet and have manners

That's very true, the high prices add to the problem.

DfromATX

It depends for me...

Sometimes, I just say things under my breathe but keep moving.. However, on my last trip I had two incidients where I just had to say something.
1. Some lady was so busy texting and walking that she ran right into my fiance... they hit each other so hard, you could hear it. My fiance had the wind knocked out of him and got a really bad headache. The woman stopped, stared at my fiance then proceeded to walk away. I said "excuse me, but you just ran into him, cant you atleast say sorry." She did not. I was ed, we ended up leaving early because he felt so bad after.

2. I had a 8 year old push me into a candy display. His parents watched as I fell and grabbed their son and proceeded to leave. Two strangers witnessed the entire thing. One yelled out "wow, really? that was so rude" The other got angry at the parents and said "are you not going to make your son apologize?" and they turned around and walked out and began mumbling in french something...

Cant have disney without the occasional rude guest!

I'm getting upset just reading your post! Uggghh!

disneygirl1

I have ran into this quite a few times and I agree with the OP, that the "nice" approach doesn't seem to work. So bascially I just make a remark loud enough that that the rude person can hear me and I go about my business!

Spikerdink

If they're crowding me, I tell them something that makes them back off. If I posted it online, everyone would do it and it would stop working, lol. But it works EXTREMELY well. They stay back, they keep their kids back. I have my space. :)

My friend TJ, in a very loud voice announces, "I have gas!" You'd be shocked at how much room opens up around him.

fngoofy

I had the now typical experience in Oct on PotC of people taking flash pictures the entire time.
My problem is not only that it ruins the experience of the ride, sometimes you get a flash right in the eyes, which alters the homing signal, and that's not good.

Interestingly,
I asked for a manager after we got off the ride, a CM went and got a very nice, experienced manager and we spoke for a few minutes.

I basically told him what a buzz kill it was, that we spent a lot of money to come down there each year, and that with everyone now having digital cameras with unlimited flash it has gotten completely out of hand.

I then made the analogy that it is like watching a movie in the theater and having people take flash pictures the entire time.
I could literally see a light go off in his head when I said that.

He was very nice, offered to take us right to the front of the line, hold the line so no one was around us, and let us go again. I thanked him very much and said that was not necessary. He then went back to my statement about it being like you are in a movie with people taking flash pictures of the screen and said that he would bring it up in the managers meeting and thanked me for taking the time to talk with him, which I then reciprocated and thanked him.

The interesting thing is that the next day we where out in MK and hit PotC and the CM at load gave a half hearted "please no flash pictures" spiel as she loaded us.

I just wish that with all that time in the PotC queue that they could take the time to pitch to the crowd in English, Spanish, and Portuguese, NO FLASH PICTURES. The little spiel as your boat leaves the load area is not nearly enough, BUT if Johnny Depp told all the kids to splash water on anyone taking flash pictures, I bet they'd stop toot-suite.

I find it interesting though that this really did come across to him as news, like "Darn, never thought of that." I have had CMs tell me in the past that Disney's main concern when they say "No flash photography" is not for the guest's experience, it is to not blind the IR cameras that are in dark rides.

I think it's time that they focus on this in a creative way. If they can stop people from smoking in the queue (which was once completely overlooked by both guests and CMs) then they can do the same with flash photography.

WHO'S WITH ME!!

Spikerdink

The walking along Main Street has two different viewpoints....

I fully get what @luv is saying - people just tend to stop in their tracks and view the castle, or Main Street, or whatever. If they are in the middle of the street - doesn't bother me, I just walk around. It may be like luv said - they are in awe as they first see the castle, or if they stop on their way out it could be something triggers in their mind - maybe they or someone in their party has serious health issues and this might be the 'last' trip, or maybe they want to take in the last time the family will all be together before kids go off to college.... If they are in the middle of the street, I should have plenty of space between parties to adjust my trajectory.

Now, I fully get what @graphite1326 says with the casual strollers who just meander along the sidewalk blocking people's pathways from being able to get around them. This ticks me off not only in Disney, but in general life. I can't tell you how many times I have to run from one classroom to another only to get behind a rolling roadblock of three teenage girls who have to text, text, text and can't walk at a normal pace. I have to zig and zag to get where I need to be before the bell rings. They could get out of the way, walk single file, or god forbid hold off on that text to their friend who is probably 15 feet in front of them. People who stroll on the sidewalk need to be aware that others may want/need to get past them and be aware of their surroundings.

I walk very fast - I have long strides, and keep up a brisk pace, which I try to minimize in Disney, but sometimes I gotta pee and trying to get past a walking detour is just making me dance more.

bethymouse

I do come across very rude folks, but I just ignore them.;) Now, my husband is a different story! We were once on a crowded bus w/ those "teenagers" we so know and love. The lights were out and driving... husband screamed/yelled out " Ow! " or some other expression- I don't remember. the bus driver turned on the lights and stopped the bus to see what was going on. The kid had stepped on my husband's toes, but I'm not so sure the kid didn't do it on purpose!
Anyhow- I just laugh at those folks.;)
But, on the other hand. There are some very nice people there too! We have sat w/ many during a parade and had nice chats. We also had one family w/ little ones in front ( we were behind them) ask for our boys to sit up front w/ them. Very kind.:) It takes all kinds! A little kindness does go a long way!;)

Disvillain63

A little passive-aggressive behavior goes a long way. We once had a group of teenage girls skip us in line with the encouragement of their adult giggling chaperone. I'm now more asssertive now and would say something, but I didn't want to get in a fight so I spend the rest of the time in the queue "accidentally" stepping on said chaperone's bare heels. "Oh, I am so sorry! Did I step in your heel? Ouch! My bad!" I am sure she felt that for the rest of the trip.

I will also step on the toes of anyone I have to crawl over because the must sit in the middle of the row of a full theater instead of moving all the way down as asked by the CMs repeatedly. I am so gonna get beat up one day.
I've done the same thing...stepping on toes. When they complain, I just say "The CM said to move to the end of the row. I guess you can't hear to well."

rct247

Ignore most things or take them with a grain of salt. If you get all worked up about it, you are not going to enjoy your visit.

Stopping in the middle of a row... step on their toes, if they complain, then tell them, it would have be easier for everyone including themselves if they moved all the way down.
Flash pictures on a ride... only say something if you talk to them within a normal talking voice, otherwise if you yell or take a flash photo back, you are disrupting the ride just as much. If necessary, ask a CM at the end of the ride if you can ride again because your ride was disrupted by constant flash photos. It won't always work, but sometimes it does.
Balloons in the way during fireworks... ask for them to lower them... usually they will.
Children on shoulders... step around. Most people won't listen to you...Not worth it.
Cutting in line... 3 or less is ok and may have a reason. 4 or more... you shall not pass, speak up or tell a CM, make sure you get other guests on your side.
Stopping in the middle of a path... ignore.
ECV or stroller hits you... Ignore once, get away from them, if it happens again, speak up.

Sarcasm goes a long way as well, and smiling... if you look like you are still having fun if they get angry back at you, you just took away their fun.

JIMINYCR

Knowing that a comment from me isn't going to change a rude person ( cause they are who they are by practicing being rude all their lives) I shake my head, show them a look of disgust and move on with my trip. I'm not going to let anyone's rudeness affect me, cause me to react, or ruin my vacation. With the number of attractions, number of parks, amount of guests in each park... I know I'll probably never run into the jerk again on my entire trip, so why get aggravated.

heatherkatheleen

You know, now that I write it down I feel like it's a bad thing, but... I'm a very no-bs person, and I call most people out when they're really pushing the envelope and being very rude. They don't want their vacation or day ruined, and neither do I, and when that person KNOWS they're being arrogant, I have no problem saying something. I wouldn't curse at a complete stranger or anything crazy like that, but I don't have a problem saying "That was a little uncalled for, let's keep in mind everyone here is trying to enjoy their vacations".

Allygator

My daughter and I were walking into rock and rollercoaster. There wasn't a line until you got closer to the doorway. I had these two kids that were old enough to know better that kept stepping on my heels. After the third time I stopped and asked them if they wanted my shoes. The look on their faces were priceless. They said no. I said good quit stepping on my feet. I don't understand the logic to having to run to get to the end of the line and just wait.

Raven66

There have been a couple. One time we were heading to Epcot and there wasn't any seats together on the bus. So my husband and daughter sat in the front of the bus so she could see everything. At the time she was about 6. I sat in the back. There was quite a few of us back there. The bus stops and everyone on the front of the bus gets off. There was a mother with a little girl and the mother was getting her stuff together and the girl was standing with her arms spread blocking the aisle. Non of us moved, we were waiting for the mom to tell her child to move so everyone could get off. Well, she never did. Well, the girl finally moved a little to the side and I walked past her. And the mom started screaming at me. I was like what? She said to me, you think you are so special you can't wait? And I looked at her and said my family is already gone and I want to get to them. And she said, I'm sure they are waiting for you. And I said I'm sure you would be wrong. I don't get to come once a month like you do (she had just got telling the person next to her that she comes a least once a month), so my family is off and running. I got off the bus and wouldn't you know it, they were gone! The bad part was, that family were on the same bus on the way back too. And she decided to take 10 mins to break down her stroller at the door to the bus.

Another time we were watching the parade in AK. My husband was leaning against a cement pillar(I think it was cement) anyway a man came up with someone in a wheelchair. My husband moved more behind the pillar and the man says yeah that's not gonna work your shoulder is still blocking. Now remember he is standing and the person in the wheelchair is sitting. How he was blocking them I don't know. So he just decided to squeeze in the little spot next to our kid and the man says, yeah you are gonna have to move your head is in the way. My husband is pretty tolerant but he turned around and said no. And that was the end of it.

As an aside, if I found out my daughter acted like some teenagers. Talking to people rudely or acted like a fool she would find out what it was like to me in the 80's. No cell phone or computer. She would have to figure out how to get a message to her friends the old fashion way.:eek:

StarWarsGirl

Personally, I'm too young to say anything. It comes off as rude if I do. I give them the look and move on, or I play the innocent game, "I'm sorry, I can't see, look at me, I'm only 5 ft! Could you please move that?" I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt. If someone is being rude, I just move myself. It avoids an altercation.

Basically, I go to high school, I'm used to dealing with shoving and general rudeness, so the little I encounter at Disney just doesn't phase me. Although last trip there were Argentinians, a group of girls younger than me, and they were trying to line jump, and I told them in Spanish, "The end of the line is over there." If I see a group of teens doing it, it's a different story, especially ones who act all innocent because they don't speak English and are then surprised when I speak Spanish

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom