How do the majority run the Disney half marathons?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Might be an odd question, but something i have been wondering. Do the majority of people run the entire distance, or do they do a combination of run and walk? Thanks!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Might be an odd question, but something i have been wondering. Do the majority of people run the entire distance, or do they do a combination of run and walk? Thanks!
Depends on the weather. In colder weather (60 or below), I could go the entire 13.1 without stopping but maybe just for 15 seconds to Gu and fluids. Last Saturday night, I was tired going into the race so I ran the first 5 (through AK) and after that, I walked about 20 seconds every 1.5 miles after that until the finish.

The walk breaks were little mental and physical victories so I could keep moral up. If I had entered the race fresh, I would have probably taken 2 walk breaks due to the humidity. Probably after mile 5 and 9 for about 20-30 seconds.

I never thought the Jeff Galloway walk breaks would be refreshing and resetting, but they work. I used them on my long runs leading up to the W&D.

DisneyRunner

When I ran the inaugural Princess half marathon, I did a combination of run and walk. I walked more than I had hoped to, I was sick. The goal became, finish to get the medal. The walk breaks do give you a mental rest. Mine are usually short, 30 seconds or so. Sometimes walking seems so much easier.

Phonedave

I have run 13.1 miles straight, but not in a race.

This last one was about 13.05 miles of running, and the balance walking. I took my first walk break just after running through the wardrobe tunnel in DHS. I took a second short one (30 seconds or so) in front of the Jedi Academy training stage.

There were a couple of times when for all intents I COULD have been walking. I was stuck behind a pack of people, and while I was "running" in order to keep my HR up and to not fall into the "walking trap" I might as well have bene walking, because the pace I was going was slower than my fast walk pace.

-dave

dreamfinder

At this point I train for, and shoot to run straight through. On race day if I drink from the water stations I may slow down for 5-10 seconds to drink without choking/splashing all over myself. Especially if I am carrying a phone with me. On hot days, splash away! Drinking from my fuelbelt or water bottles at the gym I just keep on going. I have noticed that many pacer groups do that as well. Build in a quick rest break. Not long enough to slow down your momentum, but enough to make sure you don't choke to death on mile 25.

Erin_Akey

Love reading all of these replies! It makes me feel a bit less intimidated knowing that even the vets will walk a little bit in a long race. My goal, since I have never done a half before, is to FINISH!

I can run about four miles without a walk break, but for a distance like that, I will be happy to run two miles, walk a half, run two, walk a half, etc. I just want to make sure I can complete the race.

I think it may be too early to decide just how far I will go before walking. i need to see how well I am doing closer to December.

If I could run at least 9 of the 13 miles, I'd be pretty happy right now.

Midnight Garden

Before my first half marathon, I trained to run the entire thing. I'm no elite - middle of the pack for me. I run around a 9 minute mile. For my first half, I discovered that it can be chaotic in the water stations - too many others slowing to a walk or flat out stopping to grab a water or poweraid - so I've learned to walk the majority of them just for safety. It makes it easier on me in the stations that I need to take fuel - I'm not struggling to rip open a GU or a Cliff Blok while running. The last full marathon I ran was Disney 2010. I did move to the middle and run the stations that I didn't need water/fuel but walked those that I did. The water stations is the only time I walk and even just those few seconds of walking can help your pace overall. Don't stress if you need to walk a few seconds here or there. I've been told that even the elites will sometimes walk here and there on the course.

Wilt Dasney

I'm not up to half marathon distance yet, but it really depends on how I feel that day. If the weather is a little warm, I might build in small walking breaks (this week, I've been going 10:00 run/1:00 walk in my training runs). If I feel a little "winded" on a certain day, I might walk all the tougher uphill terrain. Other days, I might maintain a run the whole way.

My personal preference is not to walk, but rather maintain a comfortable running pace throughout (12:00 is a pretty easy pace for me most days, and I feel like I can keep that up until my legs fall off)...but I don't try to be a hero about it. If I feel like walking for a bit, I do.

Ariel484

For the Princess in February, I'm hoping to (slowly) run the whole thing and then walk through all of the water stops, and of course stop for character photos :D But who knows. My ultimate goal is to finish without feeling like death.

anc33

I do the Galloway thing, 1 min run, 1 min walk. Works well for me and I still feel good at the end. Most of the people I was surrounded by at the Wine & Dine were doing something similar.

Erin_Akey

I do the Galloway thing, 1 min run, 1 min walk. Works well for me and I still feel good at the end. Most of the people I was surrounded by at the Wine & Dine were doing something similar.

by using the run 1 walk 1 method, what kind of pace and finish time did you have for the half? I am wondering if i should try that as well.

JillC LI

I would guess that you get alot more people who participate in the Disney Half Marathons for the sole reason that they take place at Disney World and you get Disney-related stuff for participating than people who would enter a half marathon anywhere else. As a result, I would bet that you get many more people who don't plan to "race" or to even run the whole distance than you would in any other half marathon.

As for me, I would never enter a race in which I didn't plan to run the whole distance. In fact, one of my mantras is "Stopping is not an option." That said, I am a relatively slow runner who goes at a pace of about 10.5 minutes/mile at half marathon distance so you certainly can't consider me a serious racer. I only race against myself, but unless I'm injured, you won't find me walking. However, I commend anyone and everyone who has the wherewithall to cover 13.1 miles at a run or walk or any combination of the two. :)

dreamfinder

I would guess that you get alot more people who participate in the Disney Half Marathons for the sole reason that they take place at Disney World and you get Disney-related stuff for participating than people who would enter a half marathon anywhere else. As a result, I would bet that you get many more people who don't plan to "race" or to even run the whole distance than you would in any other half marathon.

Oh yeah. Plenty of people in the walking corral. Lots of local marathons tend to close the course around hour 5 or so, so Disney keeping it open for 7 they know that people are there to enjoy being in Disney as much as running a marathon.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
RUN. Run the race like it will be your last race ever, because tomorrow you could drop dead. :eek: Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, I just like living for each moment, that's all. Like what JillC said above," Stopping is not an option."

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
RUN. Run the race like it will be your last race ever, because tomorrow you could drop dead. :eek: Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, I just like living for each moment, that's all. Like what JillC said above," Stopping is not an option."
I think the idea of walk breaks is that you would actually end the race faster with a certain amount of small/short breaks than if you dredged on and started slowing down your pace. Some would not be affected, but for some, it would all even out in the end. I use to be the "you cant walk, it is against the rules".. then a trained in an Alabama summer.

I did a routine 4 miles last month and was just worn out to start. I walked 4 times. I was so mad. I usually only would walk 1 times over 4 miles to take some fluids. I still averaged a 8 minute mile. I was so surprised.

To each his own and what ever works. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom