How Do The Characters Manage In This Heat?

jsfra209

i believe another part of the reason, ( we were discussing this today) is that the ice packs can thin your arteries and cool the blood and around your chest area but in turn causes the limbs to expand and get warmer. thus eventualy causing a heart attack or stroke.

Hi there! I'm a RN, and i have to disagree with your statement. The ice packs do not and actually cannot thin out your arteries, cool the blood around your chest, or cause heart attack or stroke. As a matter of fact, when we have patients in the hospital that are very hot (as in when its a 90 degree day and tha air conditioning in the hospital is down AGAIN) we place ice packs wrapped in a towel under the patients armpits, groin aread and the abdomen/chest area for up to 30 minutes at a time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We deal with it. That's how we manage. On behalf of other characters as well, when you come to visit a character, please don't say or ask any of the following:
"WOW you must be SO HOT in there!"
"Are you hot under there?"
"Do you have air conditioning or fans in those suits?"
"Try to stay cool! Hahaha"
"Geez, you must be sweating in there. Is it really that hot?"

AMEN...it ruins the magic.

joanna71985

We deal with it. That's how we manage. On behalf of other characters as well, when you come to visit a character, please don't say or ask any of the following:
"WOW you must be SO HOT in there!"
"Are you hot under there?"
"Do you have air conditioning or fans in those suits?"
"Try to stay cool! Hahaha"
"Geez, you must be sweating in there. Is it really that hot?"

Absolutely! I don't think I can count on one hand how many days I wasn't asked any of those questions. In fact, most days I was asked those questions multiple times.

I was told on Keys to the Kingdom that it takes 40 minutes for the body to cool down, so the shifts are actually only 20 minutes...which would mean that there are 3 identical characters

Breakdown
Character 1: minute 0- 20
Character 2: minute 20-40
Character 3: minute 40-60
Character 1: minute 0-20

and so on...

also, we were told that when the "helper" comes up with a story as to why the character is leaving....they alert the next character in case a child asks a question about why they left (enabling appropriate answer)

Time wise depends on the season, and if the character is outside or inside.

Oh, and please don't complain when the attendant takes the character off. The character (for the most part) will be right back out.

drew81

Absolutely! I don't think I can count on one hand how many days I wasn't asked any of those questions. In fact, most days I was asked those questions multiple times.
Time wise depends on the season, and if the character is outside or inside.
Oh, and please don't complain when the attendant takes the character off. The character (for the most part) will be right back out.

I love it when guests just freak out when a character leaves and then two minutes later the character comes back. If they had just waited for two minutes they would've been able to see them, but since they didn't listen to the greeter they decided to leave the line...:brick:

Heatherbell

Hi there! I'm a RN, and i have to disagree with your statement. The ice packs do not and actually cannot thin out your arteries, cool the blood around your chest, or cause heart attack or stroke. As a matter of fact, when we have patients in the hospital that are very hot (as in when its a 90 degree day and tha air conditioning in the hospital is down AGAIN) we place ice packs wrapped in a towel under the patients armpits, groin aread and the abdomen/chest area for up to 30 minutes at a time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a nurse too and I second that. :lol:

You would be shocked how widespread that belief is, almost as widespread as the Walt is Frozen myth.

AEfx

I know that ice vests are used in certain instances, but are not generally used in the normal meet and greet areas as sometimes they can cause unsitely wet spots in places for the characters. Also, in some instances they have been known to wear camelbacks for hydration of course, and both are known to add to much extra bulk and weight.

WDWKat26

I know that ice vests are used in certain instances, but are not generally used in the normal meet and greet areas as sometimes they can cause unsitely wet spots in places for the characters. Also, in some instances they have been known to wear camelbacks for hydration of course, and both are known to add to much extra bulk and weight.

Actually, the whole ice vest thing right now is just a test. But, they're not for everyone as you said. I dunno, I just deal with the heat, either way you're going to get hot. Why try to prolong the inevitable? ;)

The ice vests have been in use on and off for the past 2 years+ but only mainly used in MJJP. And even then its been up to the character themself to decide if its worth it.

Well, right now they're only being tested at MK. And, i've been in MJJP, and I haven't seen anyone wear them recently.

I can say with definite certainty that MJJP uses them quite alot especially due to the choreography involved and the length of the parade. And constant breakdowns certainly dont help by making the parade even longer than the usual 32 minutes.

WildcatDen

Not to get way off topic, but how about Team Mascots at College Football games. Those poor animals/people/objects are running and jumping around and seem to hardly get breaks. A lot of them do special things when the team scores as well. I would assume that the first few games of the season, being in late Summer/early Fall would be tough to say the least.

I think the break lingo they used at Camp Mickey was that Mickey and Minney had to take a break for some CHEESEcake.

cecidt27

Because honestly, ice does nothing for our furry friends. It melts, and ends up just being extra weight to lug around. Plus, 20 minutes isn't as long as it seems.
I was at Keys to the Kingdom and we were told they do use vests so Disney itself is spreading the myth I guess…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom