How could Galaxy's Edge go wrong?

eliza61nyc

I don’t think that’s an immediate concern...but disney is going to see a big downturn in Star Wars appeal over the next few years and that may affect park appeal...unless they can pull their own butts out of the fire they created. Need new leadership.

That’s the last jedi effect. That’s movie was so awesome, and had such long lines...that those people went euphorically from the credits, into line for Solo, and now are queuing up on the 5 outside Disneyland. Synergy, Baby 🤪🤡
Hey Sir,
I wonder though if new leadership will help. My concern would be that big companies even with new leadership will follow the "old" dude. Unfortunately I can't see them okay'ing a radical shift. I think stockholders would be too scared.
I don't think there's going to be a big decrease in star wars really, not enough to make a difference. Star wars is still going pretty strong even after a few dud of a movies. Merchandising on the big 3 (luke, leia and Han) is still pretty strong.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hey Sir,
I wonder though if new leadership will help. My concern would be that big companies even with new leadership will follow the "old" dude. Unfortunately I can't see them okay'ing a radical shift. I think stockholders would be too scared.
I don't think there's going to be a big decrease in star wars really, not enough to make a difference.

Well we have two different things going on.

I meant “different leadership” as far as LUCASFILM goes. That is painfully clear. The fact that there are ANY bad jujus out there or weakness in sales for Star Wars after disney tookover and having the prequel history to use as an advantage proves the wrong people are running Star Wars. It’s simple, really.

But as far as iger/disney goes...I agree with your premise. No matter who replaces him - they will continue his policy...especially the BAD ones.

As much as I have dispute of his performances in some areas...I concede he is well regarded and therefore successful by default.
I just think 15 years is too long. It is...too big of a dragon to ride that long. They shoulda learned with Eisner...they did in fact. The board is incompetent, however.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
main-qimg-8e2685250b0dc2672601ef6dd06c6736

Damon7777

What could go wrong:
Disappointment/disillusionment

The hype will be far bigger than the payoff.
There are just 2 ***TWO*** attractions to service millions who hold an interest.

The land was built way, way too small with 2 screen based attractions.......terrible planning. It should have been 3 times the size built with 6 to 7 attractions: think half of a park instead of just one single land.

mergatroid

What if some really fat, badly dressed bloke decides to spend all day drinking in a hotel room before arriving at the park. Once there after gaining entrance he decides to run through the land exposing himself and threatening people in a Darth Vader style voice, I can see that ruining a few folk's visit?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What if some really fat, badly dressed bloke decides to spend all day drinking in a hotel room before arriving at the park. Once there after gaining entrance he decides to run through the land exposing himself and threatening people in a Darth Vader style voice, I can see that ruining a few folk's visit?
But whoever posts the video will own the internet.

tallica

I think it will not meet expectations due to the fact that characters from the original trilogy will not be represented. To me the land is already sub par without Vader,, Han, classic stormtroopers etc. The OT easily has the most fans as a whole. Disney could have built a land that creatively contained multiple time periods.

I am Timmy

It will be immediately obvious that they made the land too small, with too few attractions. Star Wars deserves a full land comparable to "Futureworld" or "Tomorrowland". The lines just to enter the "land" will extend back to the park entrance.
Speaking of the lines, good thing Baseline Taphouse is there to provide sustenance. You can tell how well thought out that remodel was in advance of GE.

I am Timmy

Are you warning us that you're planning something?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Speaking of the lines, good thing Baseline Taphouse is there to provide sustenance. You can tell how well thought out that remodel was in advance of GE.
Expect a new CM designation on their job board soon:
DHS DINING CONCIERGE. Interact with guests who are waiting to enter SW:GE; ascertain their level of fatigue, recommend they purchase snacks and/or meals from DHS food venues, facilitate their order using technology solution, and offer to pick up and deliver their order to them for consumption while in line.

pax_65

@larryz - I don't think making a fifth gate dedicated to Star Wars is unrealistic in terms of the demand such a park would generate, assuming the movies going forward are quality and don't destroy what's left of the franchise.

That said it's hard to imagine today's Disney building a new theme park in Florida. They seem so risk-averse, always trying to hedge their bets. I suppose from a short-term business perspective it makes sense, since they will spend millions marketing the new "land" and will essentially generate the same amount of demand a Star Wars park would generate (or at least close to it). *Personally I wouldn't even call this a "land" since it's only two attractions. I have the same issue with Pandora (although I admit the theme is pretty cool).

So in essence, with all the hype they will get a good chunk of the income of a Star Wars park without having to outlay all that enormous cost. Everyone wins except for the guests, who will be standing in line for hours just to catch a glimpse of the new land. :(

pax_65

Expect a new CM designation on their job board soon:
DHS DINING CONCIERGE. Interact with guests who are waiting to enter SW:GE; ascertain their level of fatigue, recommend they purchase snacks and/or meals from DHS food venues, facilitate their order using technology solution, and offer to pick up and deliver their order to them for consumption while in line.

Also distract them from remembering how much they spent on park admission just to stand in this enormous line.

pax_65

As I mentioned elsewhere. I think they are taking a wait and see attitude. If StarWarsLand is a huge success they will just expand StarWarsLand into a 5th gate and keep Toy Story Land/Tower of Terror DHS as the 4th gate.

The two parks will face each other just like Disneyland and California Adventure face each other.

That would be awesome if it ever came to fruition. Is it logistically possible? Is there enough room for park expansion? Parking?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom