How could Galaxy's Edge go wrong?

World_Showcase_Lover007

Here’s what could be a bummer about SWL (aside from it being based on SW, because yours truly is simply not a fan of the IP at all), but anyway:

It would be a bummer if they developed a deeply themed, yet small land on the same scale as Pandora/Avatar. Pandora is great, but you breeze through it so quickly. SW needs to be grander and more extensive, even if this means a little less immersion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Focusing only on The Studios SWGE, I could see a scenario where the internal numbers don’t meet the high expectations. Don’t get me wrong, it will be very popular, but I can see how it could be possible that factors such as crowding, cost, and the fact SWGE will exist on two coasts putting a dent in attendance expectations. Studios SWGE opens 4-6 months after DL, that also may suck up some of the enthusiasm as well.

It doesn't matter whether it meets expectations or not, there will be someone claiming it didn't.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It doesn't matter whether it meets expectations or not, there will be someone claiming it didn't.

Seemed to matter with TSL.

Regardless I liken it to when the latest iPhone is released, big flashy, lots of buzz, and then 4 months later they missed out on sales by a bit, and the while thing unravels.

Tom Morrow

The fact that people can walk into something as breathtakingly beautiful as Pandora, a land nobody even had that high of hopes for, might I add, and still say that it's a letdown, leaves me with no doubt in my mind that there will be people claiming Galaxy's Edge is a letdown. I mean, you can't please everyone, but many in the WDW community are now dispositioned to hate everything new automatically.

I am Timmy

With all the opinions out there of Pandora, there seems to be a consensus that at least FoP was a hit. That by itself is drawing the crowds to Pandora - some stay for the ambiance a bit, others head out to get on other rides. Granted Pandora is small, but I am in the camp that it's beautiful and enjoy spending time there just hanging out and eating at the Canteen. I wonder what will happen to GE if the attractions end up being "meh"? Will flocks of people still go for the ambiance? Or will that effect crowd levels over time? Thoughts...... go!

Kamikaze

I think the worst thing that could happen to GE is the crowds ruining the experience for everybody. I can't really see myself waiting 3 hours to get in the land and then waiting another 3 hours to ride one of the two attractions and then not having room to get something from either the quick service or full service restaurants.

The only other thing I can think of that would hurt GE would be a massive downtime with both attractions on the first days of operation, which actually isn't too farfetched from happening.

I don't think either of those will have a major impact. Vacations will be booked before people realize how crowded it will be, so those people will go.

Theres only one thing that can hurt it in any significant way: recession.

eliza61nyc

S?

Please speculate wildly!

lol, love this.

So I have to confess that I am looking forward to it but the hype has definitely scared me away. I'm not going near the place until 2020.

right off the top of my head, my guess would be size. I do like Pandora and TSL (that's right, I admit I like TSL) but they are so small in area. so SW GE needs to be spread out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Therefore, I'd like to discuss ways Galaxy's Edge could fall short of expectations or fail, just for the sake of speculation.

A few off the top of my head:
-What if all the hype scares away visitors?

AN ISSUE FOR SURE...but from a customer perspective that would be a good thing

-What if the massive crowds do come and Disney doesn't provide them a satisfactory experience? (Like not being able to get into the land at all)

A much bigger possibility than anyone in disdom wants to admit. If it’s pandora - it will not be met well by Star Wars fans. They expect much more. Pandora is great...but it’s based on IP with zero expectations in an underwhelming park to the general public ...that’s a big part of the success in context of the park.

-What if creating a new location -- rather than recreating a familiar Star Wars locale -- ends up being a negative for guests?

That is the long game. But I believe it to be correct. Since 1983...disney could have built a good trilogy land...Eisner and Lucas never got along...but after 2012 it was no longer an issue. But they choose to build JJ’s Reboot world instead. Hopefully WDI makes up for that big choice.

-What if the attractions aren't the huge leaps in tech or experience they're hyped as?

Possible...I’m sure they’ll be well received...but I expect neither to be a simply sensory stimulating as FOP.
I think length is an issue as well. Short rides create problems...I saw a lot of grumpy looks and comments in toy story land last week. They are justified...underbuilding at high cost places never goes well.

Please speculate wildly!

The only big negative I can see for SWL is the downfall in popularity/supporters due to the recent trilogy. That could cause some hardcore fans to not visit out of protest. Or some unenthusiastic kids to not want to visit. But I don't see that affecting crowds too much.

I don’t think that’s an immediate concern...but disney is going to see a big downturn in Star Wars appeal over the next few years and that may affect park appeal...unless they can pull their own butts out of the fire they created. Need new leadership.
The hype is ramping up in the SW fandom. And with Disney fandom...

Let's just say it'll take more than hype to scare away either of these groups.

That’s the last jedi effect. That’s movie was so awesome, and had such long lines...that those people went euphorically from the credits, into line for Solo, and now are queuing up on the 5 outside Disneyland. Synergy, Baby 🤪🤡

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom