How could Disney Enhance the Bus Ride experience

flavious27

I tried to suggest it to my local transport system and they basically laughed at me. Meanwhile they drop $25 million on a soccer stadium that isn't even close to said transit system. Lovely.

Its SEPTA, what do you expect?

That's a very intersting point... I have heard from a few people that The Ohio State University has a downloadable app for your smart phone that can tell you where each bus is on campus. Simply put each bus is rigged with a GPS devise and that sends a signal that your app responds to thus allowing you to see when the next bus to your desired location is coming... It's a fantastic idea, but probably won't happen.

I am pretty sure that all of disney's buses already have gps in them, it shouldn't be that hard for them to create this app but the buses' wait times don't usually get so long that it would be really that needed. disney transportation would just need to work on making the system more efficient.

righttrack

I say this with loving sarcasm... Walt Disney himself had a fascination with girls in grass skirts and mass transit. A tiki bar in every bus!

juniorthomas

Original Poster
Its SEPTA, what do you expect?

I am pretty sure that all of disney's buses already have gps in them, it shouldn't be that hard for them to create this app but the buses' wait times don't usually get so long that it would be really that needed. disney transportation would just need to work on making the system more efficient.

Good point. Expect the worst with SEPTA and you'll get home happy.

flavious27

I say this with loving sarcasm... Walt Disney himself had a fascination with girls in grass skirts and mass transit. A tiki bar in every bus!

Disney needs to buy some double decker buses and have the tiki bar on the top level. Those buses are going to be real fun on the PI / DTD routes.

CaptainShortty

Disney needs to buy some double decker buses and have the tiki bar on the top level. Those buses are going to be real fun on the PI / DTD routes.

Double Decker buses in general would be great! Cut down the wait time practically in half. Not sure how realistic the bar is, lol. (Although I'm certainly all for it!!) But I think just a themed but would be great. Make every 10 buses in a different theme. It would always keep you guessing and make it a fun "game" of sorts.

flavious27

Double Decker buses in general would be great! Cut down the wait time practically in half. Not sure how realistic the bar is, lol. (Although I'm certainly all for it!!) But I think just a themed but would be great. Make every 10 buses in a different theme. It would always keep you guessing and make it a fun "game" of sorts.

I don't think it would be legal for disney to serve alcohol on their buses, though it would be interesting if they could.

Theme buses would work, they can match them up with the themes of the hotels. There shouldn't be any problems with double deckers through most of the park, there are only a couple of overpasses that could be a problem.

Obi

the last time we were in wdw ('08), my niece, then 5 years old, did the bippity, boppity, boutique thing where she got all made up like a princess.

at the end of the day we got on the bus and the driver was very interactive. as soon as he saw my niece getting on the bus he got on the speaker and said " good evening passengers. we have a very special person going to be joining us on our ride this evening. we have a lovely princess boarding right now. everbody, please bow and have the royal seat ready for her. thank you."

everyone on the bus laughed and quite a few of them bowed as she walked down the aisle to sit in an empty seat. it really made her day more magical and i'm sure everyone enjoyed in participating in the fun...

the driver also told jokes as we made our way back to the resort.

i really enjoyed it. made the magic continue on the way back to the resort after a long day.

gnuts0306

the last time we were in wdw ('08), my niece, then 5 years old, did the bippity, boppity, boutique thing where she got all made up like a princess.

at the end of the day we got on the bus and the driver was very interactive. as soon as he saw my niece getting on the bus he got on the speaker and said " good evening passengers. we have a very special person going to be joining us on our ride this evening. we have a lovely princess boarding right now. everbody, please bow and have the royal seat ready for her. thank you."

everyone on the bus laughed and quite a few of them bowed as she walked down the aisle to sit in an empty seat. it really made her day more magical and i'm sure everyone enjoyed in participating in the fun...

the driver also told jokes as we made our way back to the resort.

i really enjoyed it. made the magic continue on the way back to the resort after a long day.

I LOVE this story...i said earlier in the thread that my dad always wanted to retire and be a Disney bus driver because of stuff like this....now everything is getting so automated

CaptainShortty

I don't think it would be legal for disney to serve alcohol on their buses, though it would be interesting if they could.

Theme buses would work, they can match them up with the themes of the hotels. There shouldn't be any problems with double deckers through most of the park, there are only a couple of overpasses that could be a problem.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure it's illegal. Still doesn't mean I wouldn't like it if it wasn't. :p

flynnibus

Premium Member

What.. I guess you didn't get the memo that the buses are the worst thing ever in WDW and are unbearable, packed like sardines, and completely unsatisfactory. How on earth can you allow positive thoughts to be associated with the bus system??

</sarcasm>

Thanks for sharing your story. It reenforces the reality that people are far more valuable then any technology, marketing, or celebrity name dropping. Focusing on their people, let them love their job, and ensure they can continue to do so for a long long time will serve Disney the best.

Buses

We love the buses--I like the music. The drivers could do with controlling the air con a bit more, as it is sometimes very cold on the buses.
I an surprised how many families will let a small child occupy a seat when there are people standing--they could put the child on their lap!!

Obi

What.. I guess you didn't get the memo that the buses are the worst thing ever in WDW and are unbearable, packed like sardines, and completely unsatisfactory. How on earth can you allow positive thoughts to be associated with the bus system??

</sarcasm>

Thanks for sharing your story. It reenforces the reality that people are far more valuable then any technology, marketing, or celebrity name dropping. Focusing on their people, let them love their job, and ensure they can continue to do so for a long long time will serve Disney the best.

geez, i guess i'll have to talk to my secretary about making sure i get those memos! :lol:

glad that you, and others, enjoyed the story. it was fun to experience it.

i think that part of the issue is that after a long day people know that there's more crowding on the busses, tired and so on that it kind of affects their mood once on the bus. the drivers understand that, so some of them try to get the guests thoughts off of being tired and cramped in on a bus by telling jokes, playing trivia games, etc.

Scuttle

get rid of the system and add a new futuristic transit system that has switchtracks and can get you everywhere on property.

Buses

It must be difficult to organise the bus system. Sometimes if we have gone back to our resort in the middle of the day, there has only been the two of us on the bus!! Yet if it was raining it would be full. One time I was waiting ages for a bus to OKW--the driver of a Port Orleons bus said if I got on his bus he would drop me off at the Hospitality House--excellent guest service!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom