How can you people stand the parks in the summer?

KeithVH

Original Poster
Just got back from a business trip with five days at the OC Convention Ctr. All I can say is I've learned a new appreciation for air conditioning (something fairly rare in the northwest). Mid-90s during the day and upper 70s in the evening. Humidity out the wazzoo. Wow. I didn't get a chance to go into the parks but did Downtown and visited some of the hotels. What made up for it was the Yachtsmen Steakhouse and Fultons on the expense report!

But the weather, as far as being enjoyable, was actually unbearable. Everywhere I looked it seemed to me that NO ONE was really having any fun. They all looked beat. And the young ones really gave the impression of being hammered. I did talk to some guests during one dinner and found wait times were ugly too. Not shocking - we always go in December for these reasons but everywhere I went the place was packed. Between the crowds and the heat, how does anyone have fun during this time?

Moustronaut

All I can say is I've learned a new appreciation for air conditioning (something fairly rare in the northwest)
Cause some of use would really REALLY love to live in a place with it's fairly rare to need heat! :sohappy:
Cold sucks and we choose to live in the south for a reason.

wdwjmp239

Hello!

I can tell you that I hate going to Disney during the summer. For starters, if you sleep in late and don't get into the parks early, then your chances of enjoying anything in the parks are pretty slim because of the afternoon thunderstorms (and some of them get pretty nasty).

If you're an early riser, then hit the parks right after breakfast (or skip breakfast). Because from about 8am to about 2pm or so, you have that window to enjoy some of the parks.

From 2pm to about 7pm or so.. keep an eye to the sky... you just never know.

But yes.. it does get HOT and HUMID down here. I live in Naples and while we get a "seabreeze" down here, it's not doing us any good because the Gulf of Mexico is always at 90 degrees. If I want a breeze that warm, I'll go sit in front of a heater.

There are those who the heat and there are those, like me, who can't stand it. :)

lilmizpixie3

Most of the people who go to Disney in the summer are tourists from up north who see gloomy, snowy 20 degree weather for 6 months out of the year. So the Florida heat is something they are looking for, and Disney is the place for that. I personally live in Florida...so the heat is something I try to avoid! Winter time in Disney is the best!

Disney4648

Cause some of use would really REALLY love to live in a place with it's fairly rare to need heat! :sohappy:
Cold sucks and we choose to live in the south for a reason.

Couldnt have stated it better, I cant stand the cold weather and thats exactly why I live in sunny Flarrrida. Woot woot!

Pocamahontas

I'm a CM and work outside, and yes it's hot...but it's not unbearable. For those coming from up North...it can have it's effects, but it's just something to get used to. We just have to remember that despite the heat we're at the Happiest Place on Earth! Besides, at the parks there are tricks of the trade to cool off. Like ride Splash Mountain for instance..or Watch Philharmagic.

Jesùs_Carioca

The Sparybottle-fan combination...it'll be your best friend!

But, i am one to talk i guess... I was raised in Florida and subject to a few portions of summer without air conditioning *sigh*

Wilt Dasney

I'll take a (relatively) light crowd and beautiful cool weather in October-December anytime, personally. I've spent my whole life in the south and have zero desire to be outdoors in the summer.

MAF

"You people"? haha... Well to answer your question, sometimes some people don't have the luxury to go during any other time due to school/work so I guess that is a reason why.

Ravenclaw87

Yeah--- I'm a full time college student, and I'm also a part time retail slave *gag.* So I can't go during the 5 week semester break, and I certainly can't go during spring break week because airline prices rise about $150 during that week.

So I go in the summer. And, sure, it's hot, but it gets to be in the 90's here in CT, too. Sure, it's humid, but all of the rides are air conditioned. Hey, it's Disney World, and a little heat ISN'T gonna kill me!

scottnj1966

Well you sure dont stand in the sun all day. You learn young how much heat you can handle and when to relax.

Disney has many places to cool off in or walk through. The whole main street can be walked through indoors. Most lines for rides at disney are indoors.
Just about every ride is indoors.

Yes some days can be unbearable but drink plenty of water, wear a hat, and you will be fine.

klofan

Banned
RIGHT when you feel like your gonna pass out, get someone to slap you. HAHA just kidding. I LOVE the heat. So, it doesn't both me. And mostly all of WDW's attractions are indoors so your only outside for a little bit.

The Mom

Premium Member
It's hard to believe, but people did live in FL prior to air conditioning. ;)

My late neighbors, who lived until they were both 90ish, got their first window air-conditioner around 1990, and only because of the husband's health problems, and only in the bedroom. They used fans, including a hand fan while sitting on the porch drinking sweet tea and lemonade, and moved slowly when it was hot.

That said, I rarely go to WDW in the summer. I used to go the 1st week of June every year, and the last week of September, along with a trip in early December or mid-January.

But when I go, I do the same as others have mentioned. I hit the parks early, and go back to my resort for lunch, pool time, and even a siesta. I shower, put on fresh clothes, and head back around 5 to closing.

Of course, I have an AP, and have been so many times that I don't feel that I have to see everything.

Atta83

I lived in texas my whole life and well yeah you get used to it. Its like me going to the north when its freezing going how can you guys stand it....

hls1023

I think that you would find a majority of the park-goers in the summer are from "colder" climates. Not alot of Floridians will go in the dead of summer. We know how hot it gets here just getting from point A to point B. Nevermind, trekking around parks for 8 or 9 hours a day.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We were there in June this year for the first time. We normally go in late-January/February every year, but we got APs this year for the first time and I got carried away :eek:

I found the last week of June hot but bearable, crowds were larger than in February, but again, bearable. We're going again the last week in August, I'm expecting it'll be hotter but crowds won't be as bad...

I found we still managed to ride what we wanted [thanks to Fastpass and a good knowledge of the parks] and we paced ourselves so we weren't over-exerting. I really enjoyed the trip and DS12 never had any problems. I don't think we'll do as many summer trips in future if we get APs, but mostly because the costs [hotel, travel and food] are a teensy bit more than I should be spending :lookaroun [not breaking the bank, just over-indulging]

Fun2BFree

I love the Florida climate! While I occasionally slip into the air-conditioned places for a breather, I find that it is much more bearable than the cold and soggy UK.

4parks1world

summer is the worst time in WDW.... TOO many people ..it`s too hot.. it rains pretty much everyday.. that`s why i love living just 3 hours away.. I am not stuck having to take the family there just when our son is off from school...for my money i love sept and oct

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom