How can you afford it?!!!

magicwand

I just looked over the individual prices on the website and now I am in shock. How can anyone, especially people with children, afford to go? I was looking at the Beach Club for next year because I have been wanting to stay at this resort but there is no way I will pay that much a night. That's just crazy! Sorry Disney, but unless you can lure me in with a great PIN code or some other offer there will be a few less guests at Disney World this year. :cry:

pajammies

We use trac phones and have minutes to roll over every month.

I might be a little off topic, but since we are talking about saving money...
We are going to split the difference on smart phones (we have a teenager and we want her to be able to have a smart phone) We are getting either Ting or Republic Wireless. They both are more of a pay for what you use cell service, they come in at around $15-30 a month versus $70-100

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
I might be a little off topic, but since we are talking about saving money...
We are going to split the difference on smart phones (we have a teenager and we want her to be able to have a smart phone) We are getting either Ting or Republic Wireless. They both are more of a pay for what you use cell service, they come in at around $15-30 a month versus $70-100
We pay $7 a month and have smart phones. My teen was worried a few friends would say something about him not having the latest phone. When they found he was going to Disney for 2 weeks 2 of his friends asked for the same deal cheaper phone and Disney!

Upvote 0

pajammies

We pay $7 a month and have smart phones. My teen was worried a few friends would say something about him not having the latest phone. When they found he was going to Disney for 2 weeks 2 of his friends asked for the same deal cheaper phone and Disney!

Lol, that's great! Funny what they'll trade for, hey!
I didn't realize Trac phone was data equipped. I'll have to look into that, but my daughter really, really wants a iPhone :D
I know with Ting she can get a refurbished one, but not Republic wireless, I suppose the family could split up into two different providers too. Thanks I'll check Trac

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
Lol, that's great! Funny what they'll trade for, hey!
I didn't realize Trac phone was data equipped. I'll have to look into that, but my daughter really, really wants a iPhone :D
I know with Ting she can get a refurbished one, but not Republic wireless, I suppose the family could split up into two different providers too. Thanks I'll check Trac
They don't do I phones I think splitting might be the way to go

Upvote 0

nc_disneyfreak

great conversation all around....by no means are we well off lol, we first went to WDW in 2010 with free dining and we stayed at all star movies, we went again in 2012 and stayed at all star sports....each time we stay for a week, and get the quick service dining. If you apply whatever discount is available, it turns out to be a good value for where your going. (WDW!) We book as soon as its available to do so, and put the 200.00 down, then make payments. As long as its paid off 45 days in advance then your good to go. Were going again in 255 days (!) and my family think were staying at pop century but i secretly booked the little mermaid room at art of animation!! i must admit, the prices are going up, but while my kids are small (9 and 5) this is going to be the perfect time to go, as my 5 yr old daughter is right in the middle of all things disney princesses lol. I figure the memories far outweigh the cost. sure, well be eating ramen and mac and cheese for awhile when we get back, the look that will be on my daughters face when she sees cinderellas castle and everything she sees, it will be well worth the 3-4000 we pay to the mouse lol

Upvote 0

Ben_since_1971

I use the Disney Visa during the year and am able to cut about 10% off the cost of my trip. I travel a lot for work so I have air and rental car miles for those parts of the trip. We'd use my hotel points but we like staying on property. Beyond that we save save save. This is our biggest trip of the year.

Upvote 0

SMS55

We stay at value resorts. We're going to spend almost all our time there at the parks anyways. The room is simply to shower and sleep. We also book with there discount rates. It does help us we're Florida residents. We also take food with us into the parks. We make sandwiches and that saves us money. The food in the parks is for the most part average at best and overpriced

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

My parents were smart. They invested in DVC when BWV opened in 98. Since then, they've invested in several different home resorts. This then brings the cost of an AP down, so we get APs and they last us for more than one trip. We then get Tables in Wonderland, which discounts TS meals. We also have Disney visas, which helps. At home, you'd be surprised at what we do to save money. We almost never eat out. We've got season tickets for the Orioles and the Ravens, but frequently bring our own food and drinks if possible, or eat at home. We reuse dry cleaning bags as trash bags. We have pay-as-you-go phones. Basically, saving, saving, saving, saving.

My friend and I went last year just ourselves. I used my AP discount on the room, so it was less than $900 for the room at Pop. I then had a budget of $500 for meals and souvenirs. I stayed under that. Airfare was only $25 thanks to a voucher from Southwest and frequent flier miles. Discounts, discounts, discounts.

Upvote 0

disneyfirstLJ

I am a single mom so paying for a trip to Disney is tough. However, I found that I spend almost as much for a summer week in Maine and I did that for many years. The last two trips I just saved and saved. I saved every extra penny and went without things. I paid cash and used gift cards for Disney. I asked my parents for money in place of gifts for Christmas and my Birthday for two years. I used a small bit of my tax return for souvenirs. I have decided to go again in 2016 even though my financial situation has changed due to needing a new roof on my house that I bought three years ago. However, I found a great deal on flights from an airport I haven't flown out of before (half of what I paid for flights the last two years) and I am hoping that Disney will come out with a discount for our dates. I am using the Disney Visa for the first time for this trip which will give me six months to pay off the trip without going into debit. I am also saving as much as I can. If it is something that you really want to do, you will find a way to pay for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

magicwand

Original Poster
Okay - original poster here - wow, lots of good advice and tips. I try to go once a year. I do save and save throughout the year to be able to go but it just seems to be so expensive now. I know Disney is well worth it. I love staying at WL but with the construction there is no way. I wanted to try some place new. I'm sorry but I will not stay at a value (been there, done that, no thanks) and I do not intend to stay off properly. No offense meant to people who do. It is just way too convenient to be there. I really enjoy spending time at the resort and only go to the park itself maybe twice; hence, the comment about the cost. Oh, and yes, I have stayed at a moderate. I was just looking for some place new to try and when I looked at the prices for next year I was in shock. I really like going in the Spring, maybe April or May. I guess I will just have to hope for a PIN code.

Upvote 0

Lynn Stephens

Okay - original poster here - wow, lots of good advice and tips. I try to go once a year. I do save and save throughout the year to be able to go but it just seems to be so expensive now. I know Disney is well worth it. I love staying at WL but with the construction there is no way. I wanted to try some place new. I'm sorry but I will not stay at a value (been there, done that, no thanks) and I do not intend to stay off properly. No offense meant to people who do. It is just way too convenient to be there. I really enjoy spending time at the resort and only go to the park itself maybe twice; hence, the comment about the cost. Oh, and yes, I have stayed at a moderate. I was just looking for some place new to try and when I looked at the prices for next year I was in shock. I really like going in the Spring, maybe April or May. I guess I will just have to hope for a PIN code.
The one common theme from every one seems to be "sacrifice." Costs are high, really high, and my trips will be less frequent as well so I understand.

Upvote 0

graphite1326

I just looked over the individual prices on the website and now I am in shock. How can anyone, especially people with children, afford to go? I was looking at the Beach Club for next year because I have been wanting to stay at this resort but there is no way I will pay that much a night. That's just crazy! Sorry Disney, but unless you can lure me in with a great PIN code or some other offer there will be a few less guests at Disney World this year. :cry:
You are right it is crazy. But I would never consider staying at the Beach Club either. You only sleep there.

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

Even better than a pin code....sign-up on the two most commonly used rental sites. They'll let you know when they are running specials. You can always reserve a room at Disney on the Disney website and if one of the deals comes through for the same time period on the rental site, cancel one and get the other.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom