How bad is Mission Space for people with health problems?

Damien666

^^ I've never heard of a version where you went to Mars and back, you just go to Mars plain and simple. My first time on the attraction was during a soft opening and I clearly remember the ride, they didn't change the flightpath.

Nemo14

If you any doubt about it, either skip it or try the Green version first. I did it once, it was ...interesting...but I don't think I'll ever do it again.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am not a doctor but I will play one in this forum...

I think it is a combination of a psychological effect and physical defect. Remove any of the 2 elements and nothing serious will happen.

When experiencing sustained G-forces you will feel somewhat short of breath due to the pressure on you chest. In some people this will trigger a panic attack. When you experience a panic attack you blood pressure and heart rate will skyrocket. Combine that with chronic high blood pressure or a heart defect and a fatality is a real possibility.

From the description of yourself it sounds like the psychological element is not present. Going Mach 2 with your hair on fire on a roller coaster is fun for you so thrills are a pleasurable experience not a frightening one.

There is also a trick to help avoid getting sick in the spinning version of the attracting. That trick is to follow the instructions and keep your head back and look forward. The reason for this is your inner year. With your head back your inner ear lines up with the rotational arc of the centrifuge. Because of this your inner ear is tricked into thinking you are moving forward. When you lean forward or turn your head you inner ear is no longer in line with this arc and it sends the signal to your brain that you are tumbling.

As always I would err on the side of caution. Go on green first. If you like that give orange a spin. Just remember head back eyes forward and your X-2 spacecraft can accelerate from 0 to 60,000 mph in just 60 seconds so when you hear the words go for launch you will want to hang on.

ckvin

^^ I've never heard of a version where you went to Mars and back, you just go to Mars plain and simple. My first time on the attraction was during a soft opening and I clearly remember the ride, they didn't change the flightpath.

The change was made before the ride opened...I'm not saying it has changed since the opening.

I rode it before it was opened to public and even then it was only to Mars....but I was told about the ride being shortened while at that event. :wave:

zeroFantasy

It is your decision whether or not you can handle the ride. People that died either didn't read the warning signs or didn't know they had a serious health problem. Lots of people have health problems, but they don't die.
If you decide to go, read all the warning signs. You'd be surprised how pass people just zoom by them and then claim there were none.

EMThompsen

The first time I approached MS was before the "tame" version was available. I hate rides that spin. Don't even like the carousel. But I have done Rock N' Rollercoaster. Even did Tower Of Terror, Ok I whimped out on ToT the first time but eventually I did it. Well, I went up to the CM outside of MS & asked her if the rides spins. She said ' It's a centerfuge" & I said said " See Ya!!!!" Since then I have gone on the "Tame" version & loved it.

wedway71

I was ok on the ride.I did however get a little sick looking at the spacestation spin around in the line waiting to get one.:hurl:

I think it's up to the person who wants to ride. But, Disney DOES give plenty of warning...so it really should be given some thought. Everyone's bodies are different, and two people with the same condition could react totally different ways.

I have mitral valve prolapse and I will NOT go on Mission Space. I've gone on it about 3 or 4 times and each time I felt like I couldn't breath, and my chest was about to explode. It scared me so much that it kept happening, that I stopped going on the ride.

However, my mom has high blood pressure and she is just fine on it.

Like I said...it's completely up to you.
I went on this ride yesterday and I have full heart block AV so I have a pacemaker and I felt the same way! When launching, my chest felt heavy and it was hard to breathe and I thought I was going to pass out. When it felt like 0 gravity I was okay and then after the ride my heart felt weird and I felt really tired. I checked my heart rate and it was normal though but I am never going on that ride again!

James.Green

If you’re worried at all, just skip it. It’s not a very good ride (my opinion of course) and not something to risk a health episode or even risk ruining a few hours of your day. I did it once, a few years after it opened and have never been back on. I go on every roller coaster and drop tower, but I can’t do this one. And I don’t miss it one bit.

donaldtoo

15 years since someone posted on here, before the last 2 posts, but, I’ll play…!!!!! :hilarious:
Loved the original Gary Sinise version, and rode it a few times in intense (orange) version, before there was even a choice. I loved the way my face felt like it was peeling back from the g-forces…honestly, so much fun…!!!!! :joyfull::)

Goofyernmost

By now whomever asked either rode the green side and enjoyed it, didn't ride it at all or rode orange and are currently RIPing. Was there even a green side in 2007? I don't remember and am to lazy to look it up.

DfromATX

I went on this ride yesterday and I have full heart block AV so I have a pacemaker and I felt the same way! When launching, my chest felt heavy and it was hard to breathe and I thought I was going to pass out. When it felt like 0 gravity I was okay and then after the ride my heart felt weird and I felt really tired. I checked my heart rate and it was normal though but I am never going on that ride again!
When we rode it, our group all felt terribly nauseous. My husband even had to sit out a few rides afterwards before he felt better. We have since ridden "green" but "orange" never again.

JIMINYCR

I really need to remember to check dates on threads.
Me too. You read a post title and it sounds like something thats worth reading and possibly responding to, then you discover its a reply to some topic 20+ years ago. Quite a while ago I asked about the increasing number of posts brought back from the distant past and many people wrote that they welcomed them. So irrelevant or revealing new info, we will continue getting them.

jloucks

I don't think it is all that dangerous. Technically isn't it only 3 G's on you back? So, imagine you were 3x as fat as you are now, laying down for a few minutes.

Not much to it really.

Diamond Dot

If you have ear problems then that could affect you. I doubt if Disney designs rides to test out the theory of the survival of the fittest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom