How bad is Mission Space for people with health problems?

ThumperDude

Original Poster
After reading about people getting hurt or dying on this ride, makes me wonder what specifically the problems are. I have minor health problems so I'm still on the fence as to whether I should ride in the capsules that move or the stationary ones.
Is it blood pressure, bad heart, or what? I never heard exactly what killed the guests in relation to their own health problem. And just how bad were these problems.
I'm a huge coaster fan and have no problem riding them. But I don't want to miss riding MS. So if anyone could enlighten me, I would greatly appreciate it.

disneyracefan

this is 1 ride that if you worry about it you should not ride it they warn you so many times before riding that it gets old fast. they have a wimp out side to ride just to check out the movie on the ride. there have been alot of past posts on this subject should not be hard to locate.

raven

My friend and I went in September and he has heart arthymia and was just fine with the ride. I was a little weary to let him ride but he was determined to go on it and did ok.

I, on the other hand, am in perfect...well, normal condition...and got very dizzy and felt sick after the ride.

Mikester71

My friend and I went in September and he has heart arthymia and was just fine with the ride. I was a little weary to let him ride but he was determined to go on it and did ok.

I, on the other hand, am in perfect...well, normal condition...and got very dizzy and felt sick after the ride.

Did you try the tamer version? If so, how wimpy is it really. We were there last month and no one would go on it with me. I was experiencing headaches and dizziness to begin with most of the trip, so it might have been a good thing that we didn't go on it.

Captain Hank

Did you try the tamer version? If so, how wimpy is it really. We were there last month and no one would go on it with me. I was experiencing headaches and dizziness to begin with most of the trip, so it might have been a good thing that we didn't go on it.
I wouldn't really call the Green version "wimpy." Sure, it's no as intense as Orange, and there aren't the G-forces, but it's still a great experience. It's more along the lines of Star Tours. I actually somewhat prefer Green to Orange (it also usually has a much shorter line!)

benji

Everyone's body is different. I know I have no health problems and I'm young, but when I went on M:S for the first time I felt a little dizzy and sick. I also felt my feet and legs fell a little numb. I don't no why that happened but it did. Other people I talked to felt the same thing in their legs, and others got off the ride felling just fine. I've only been on it one time because I've gotten a little affraid of the side effects of the ride. I don't know why I can ride any other ride in the world and not fell sick, but M:S makes me fell sick. As for the ride I think it is amazing it really felt like you are getting launched into space. Ride the no G's version and see how you do, if you do well and think you can handle it ride the version with G's. But you know your body the best and know what it can handle. So I guess you'll just have to ride it your self to find out how your body will react. Have fun on Mission Space. :wave:

EpcotGrl

I love it--the only time I've felt sick afterwards was when I rode it twice in a row :) My dad has high blood pressure, but he ADORED the ride and kept asking to go on it again (he sounded about five years old :lol: ). Guess it just hits everybody differently...no way to know without going on it, it seems like :wave:

Kadee

If you are worried at all, then go on the green side. It is fun....a great experience with no worries! I've done the green side several times and loved it. It is not stationary; it does move to give you the "sort of realistic" feel, but you don't come out feeling sick at all. There is no spinning. It is not worth you health to ride the "not so tame" orange side.

I get very motion sick, so I didn't even risk the "wild side" I got sick on the tea cups! :ROFLOL:

BRER DAD

Im a healthy individual, I would rather donate a kidney then go on Mission Space again!! But on the other hand I know a gentleman who had a quadruple bypass, and was fine on the ride. Dont get me wrong, its an awsome ride. It just made me exreamly sick. I have never tried the tamer version, but for me personally dont plan on it either. Enjoy!!

sknydave

A lot of rides make people sick. I really don't understand what aspect of Mission Space would make someone die.. It must be a psychological thing.

goofyfamily

I tried the ride two different years last year and the one before and it's not for me. I was bothered by it both times. I am glad I tried it and did it but I doubt I will be doing it again this year. Everyone reacts differently , but for me it was not a good experience.

Mikester71

I wouldn't really call the Green version "wimpy." Sure, it's no as intense as Orange, and there aren't the G-forces, but it's still a great experience. It's more along the lines of Star Tours. I actually somewhat prefer Green to Orange (it also usually has a much shorter line!)

Good to know. I think we will have to try it in 2 years when we go back. I am like a lot of people in this thread - I tried the Orange version a couple of years ago on my first trip and really did enjoy it, I just didn't like the feeling after getting out of the ride.:hurl:

ThumperDude

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys. This info really helps. Since I have to try it, I'll go with the green version first. Then take it from there.

ilovepluto23

I think it's up to the person who wants to ride. But, Disney DOES give plenty of warning...so it really should be given some thought. Everyone's bodies are different, and two people with the same condition could react totally different ways.

I have mitral valve prolapse and I will NOT go on Mission Space. I've gone on it about 3 or 4 times and each time I felt like I couldn't breath, and my chest was about to explode. It scared me so much that it kept happening, that I stopped going on the ride.

However, my mom has high blood pressure and she is just fine on it.

Like I said...it's completely up to you.

maryszhi

I would be careful. I would talk to your doctor. It depends also on what color you went on, One is intense, the other is toned down a little bit. Im not telling you to skip all those rides, but BE CAREFUL AND TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!!

~ A dream is what your heart makes~

~ When you wish upon a star~

maryszhi

I would not call anybody whimps. I went on both versions many times. But, I liked the 1st better. To me it doesnt matter what type u go on, its the experience that matters. And if you cant ride on it, go on youtube, be , that way you will not feel left out!!!
~ A dream is what your heart makes~
~ When you wish upon a star~

wedway71

After reading all the talk of people throwing up I was scared that I would.The whole time in line my Dad was teasing me saying "whats wrong MR.Airforce" getting sick????????
He was asking me if my wife should hold my hand if I was scared.........

Got off the ride and I was fine.......

He PUKED in the grass behind the pretzel stand.:lol:

Damien666

Since everyone is different when it comes to motion sickness, I would say try the Green version. The spinning is probably what get's to most people, for me and my friends we actually went on MS 14 times in one day with no trouble. Some other friends could only take 1 ride.

As for the two deaths, the 4 Year Old boy had a heart condition and the elder woman had bad blood pressure. Conditions where they could have gone on anything and disaster could have struck.

ckvin

I went on the ride when it first opened and it did leave me feeling a bit dizzy. I'm looking forward to riding the other version of it on my next trip.

I'm sure this has been posted before...but supposedly the ride was cut in half because it was too intense. You used to go to Mars and back...but if you notice now, you arrive at Mars and the trip is over. I couldn't have imagined a much longer ride.

Good luck and let us know if you ride it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom