How Bad is July really?

Well as some of you read, our original plan was to travel to the world in mid-August. But DH can't get out of work at all that month, so we are now going July 18th-26th. Could you guys tell me a little about July. I know it will be really hot but how are crowds and such? We normally would go for spring break so how does it compare to going then?

Gracy_hm

I love August. If you have grown up in Ga swamps you know what 100% humidity and 94 degree days feel like. The crowds in July will be high but with a plan you can make it work. Its about having fun. Yes there will be people and heat and rain and snakes and alligators and robots and all sorts of things that will only enhance you trip! It will be awsome :)

Upvote 0

Minnie17

Love July!! Like the other guys have said it has a great atmosphere! Yes the Brazilian tour groups may clog up the queue's... but they know how to party!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0
Summer is best

We hear all the time about how summer is a terrible time to visit: too crowded, too hot. Well, here are mitigating factors, espeically for families with school-age children or teachers in the group, who can't get there at other times of year. Plainly put: Over the summer, ALL the lines are open, ALL the attractions are operating, ALL the buses are running, ALL the parks are open much longer than in other times of the year. We went in September once and were dismayed we had to leave MK every day at 6 p.m. to go to Epcot; we missed seeing MK at dusk and in the nighttime, and we also noticed half the food lines were often closed, and some queues were even shut down, like one side of Pirates. If you can deal with the heat -- lots of breaks, plenty of water, hats and sunscreen -- and the crowds -- use FP well, and be flexible in your touring -- summer is a great time to visit.

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

I have been during the summer several times - during July once.
It is very hot...just remember to pace yourself, keep hydrated, & take some breaks in the A/C often.
Summer is usually more crowded at WDW, so be prepared for waits on the more popular rides.
:wave:

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I love how every thread about large crowds somehow turns into a way for people to bash Brazilian tour groups.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...I go in July every year. It's not THAT bad. Yes, it's hot. Bring a water bottle and refill it ferquently at the water fountain.

Take a break in the middle of the day. You don't necessarily have to swim. In fact, I rarely do. I go back to the resort, turn up the AC, and take a nice 2 hour nap. It's glorious.

Make use of the evening EMH. I LOVE nights when the MK is open until 3 AM. The place is deserted by 1:30 and everything is basically walk-on. It's FANTASTIC.

Make sure you plan your visits to indoor attractions like Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Universe of Energy, etc. for the hotter parts of the day.

Avoid the Animal Kingdom like the plague between the hours of 12 and 5. There's very little shade there, and it gets VERY hot. That is one park that doesn't handle heat well.

Upvote 0

PlaneCrazy1978

I went last July because my brother brought his family down. It's only the second time that I have gone in July, and hopefully the last. The wait times were outrageous for almost everything, it was crowded beyond belief, and it was hotter than heck (and I live in FL, so I thought I was used to it). I just wont' do it again because there was no relief from crowds and heat.

I would just check the crowd calendar, pick the least busiest days (or string of them) and just go those days. In FL, there is no way around the heat, so you might as well go when crowds are at 7 instead of a 9.

Upvote 0

ob1thx1138

We were there over the 4th last year and so long as you got there at rope drop and followed the touring plans we never waited more than 40 minutes for anything excpet TSMM and Peter Pan. Like I said we arrived for rope drop and were on the DDP so that meant we had plenty of time in the AC and shade.

This was our first family trip and my first trip since 93 and we had a wonderful magical trip. We would do it again in a heart beat.

Upvote 0

TakeMeThere81

We went in June once. So not really the same but heat-wise I have been there done that. (We also lived in So Alabama for 5 years!). I would do it, I don't think it would be a problem. I love some of the other tips...go morning and hit A/C buildings, especially through the hottest hours of the day.

Hit water parks. They will probably be busy too but if you get there before they open then you should be fine.

The nurse(*to-be) in me has to issue a word of warning. Read up on the signs of dehydration before you go. Hydrate like crazy and just be safe!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dehydration/DS00561

Upvote 0

disneygirl1322

My family has been going to Disney in July for the past few years (due to school schedules), and it really isn't that bad! Understandably, we'd prefer to go during a cooler and less crowded time, but if you plan and know what to expect it's definitely doable!
The weather is hot (all day and often the night), and most days there is a late afternoon thunderstorm (or downpour-take your pick :p). If you plan little breaks into air-conditioned stores and indoor attractions, this really isn't a problem.
As for crowds, they're not usually as bad as people say. I've never been to Disney over spring break, but I've heard horror stories from some people. Summer crowds are definitely there, but we have never found them overbearing. If you plan your day and try to hit up the major attractions early in the day and utilize FastPass, the lines that do form later in the day won't be a huge issue. Plus, a lot of people (especially those with little kids!) don't last all day- the crowds wax and wane.
Make the best of it- plan and prepare for the worst...keep hydrated, utilize air-conditioning, and take breaks! Enjoy! :)

Upvote 0

DrummerAlly

BAD.

I'm not talking about the heat either. Being from MA, I would take 90-95 every single day of my life and not complain. It's the crowds. We went once and it ALMOST felt like a waste of money.

Hi Seekonk! I grew up in Rehoboth!

I disagree - we went July 11-17th of last year and thought it was very manageable. It will be hot, it will be fairly crowded, it will be fine! We just got back from a four day trip in early April and that was *FAR* more crowded than our trip in July.

Like everyone else said - get fastpasses, sit down in the air conditioning for meals, relax at the pool, and enjoy yourself!

Upvote 0

WDWVito

We were at MK for the 4th in 2009 (July 3rd to 13th)

The worst part was the heat for the wife and kids.
It was the kids first time and i think the heat was a very big change for them.
I thought it was hot also, but can stand it a bit better. (for now anyway) :)

Crowds on the 4th were high as you would imagine.
But over all, it was very tolerable. (for me anyway) :)

Last year we went end of August and the first few days were very hot, by the end of the trip, it was much cooler.

Upvote 0

Belle1004

We hear all the time about how summer is a terrible time to visit: too crowded, too hot. Well, here are mitigating factors, espeically for families with school-age children or teachers in the group, who can't get there at other times of year. Plainly put: Over the summer, ALL the lines are open, ALL the attractions are operating, ALL the buses are running, ALL the parks are open much longer than in other times of the year. We went in September once and were dismayed we had to leave MK every day at 6 p.m. to go to Epcot; we missed seeing MK at dusk and in the nighttime, and we also noticed half the food lines were often closed, and some queues were even shut down, like one side of Pirates. If you can deal with the heat -- lots of breaks, plenty of water, hats and sunscreen -- and the crowds -- use FP well, and be flexible in your touring -- summer is a great time to visit.

Very nicely put. My sister and I are teachers and have no other option but to go during summer or holiday time. We have done June and Spring Break. There are advantages and disadvantages with both, but what I love is how long the parks are open. I have heard of people going in October or November and having nothing to do past 6:00 besides stick around the hotel. I think you have to do what is best for your situation and like a few have mentioned, just be thankful you are at the greatest place on earth! Everything will work out with careful planning and some optimism! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

Very nicely put. My sister and I are teachers and have no other option but to go during summer or holiday time. We have done June and Spring Break. There are advantages and disadvantages with both, but what I love is how long the parks are open. I have heard of people going in October or November and having nothing to do past 6:00 besides stick around the hotel. I think you have to do what is best for your situation and like a few have mentioned, just be thankful you are at the greatest place on earth! Everything will work out with careful planning and some optimism! :sohappy:

Yay! Well put!

If you have a Master's degree or higher in Fastpasseology, then no crowd is insurmountable (except for maybe MK at Christmas).

LOL

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

i don't know if it makes a difference to you or not but just so you're prepared, we live 2.5 hrs north of wdw and we're hitting record high temps right now (sigh...sweat...sigh).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom