Housekeeping door knocking at 8am on check-out days - what's going on?

nickys

Premium Member
I wasn't berating anyone for not getting up early. Not sure where you are getting that, unless you think that my suggestion for calling housekeeping the day before was "berating"?

ETA: In our over 30+ trips over the last 10 years, we have never had housekeeping knock on our door on check out day. I believe that it does sometimes happen, and if the person doesn't like it, then complain to a manager. If that person knows that they will absolutely be in the room until 11, then I would think a quick call to housekeeping might alleviate the problem. I did not think any of it was berating someone for staying until check out time. If anyone here thought that, I apologize, as that was never my intention. I was just trying to be helpful, but I guess some don't see it that way.
This was what you posted (my bolded text):

So if checkout time is no later than 11am, I fail to see how someone would still be sleeping at 8:30. Again, I understand that's us, and people may like to sleep in, but if you are showering and packing that morning, you should be up quite a bit before that. We don't like to rush on any morning. JMHO.

Minthorne

I think it’s slightly different with DVC side of things. I rarely get bothered in am of checkout day if I have the sign on the door.

As for expectation of privacy. I’m sure there is some legal definition that relates to hotel rooms. I’m not a lawyer though and I didn’t stay in a holiday inn express last night, so…

nickys

Premium Member
Ok, I agree that should have been worded better. Sorry to all if I offended anyone with that remark.
I wasn’t offended, it just sounded a little scolding-like. It’s all good, I don’t disagree, although I will say we tend to decide that morning whether we’ll get up and go to the park ASAP or take our time, depending what time people do wake. So if we were actually woken up by housekeeping I’d be somewhat annoyed.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Why should anyone have to do that? That suggestion is ridiculous. Check out time is 11 am and if the Guests wants to stay in the room and not be disturbed that's the way it should be.
Never said they HAD to do it. I was simply stating that a call the day before might help, so as not to be disturbed early in the morning if they know they will be in the room until 11. If someone doesn't make that call, and gets disturbed early, then, as I have stated over and over, they need to complain to the manager about it, not the person knocking on the door. The manager can easily find out which housekeeper was assigned that room, and maybe additional training is needed.

I find it quite amazing that people are so up in arms over this. I really do.

wdwfan22

Never said they HAD to do it. I was simply stating that a call the day before might help, so as not to be disturbed early in the morning if they know they will be in the room until 11. If someone doesn't make that call, and gets disturbed early, then, as I have stated over and over, they need to complain to the manager about it, not the person knocking on the door. The manager can easily find out which housekeeper was assigned that room, and maybe additional training is needed.

I find it quite amazing that people are so up in arms over this. I really do.
People are up in arms about it because it's a continuing decline in service from Disney. From experience I can tell you even on check-out day with the Do Not Disturb sign on the door they will still knock. It's not the housekeeper's fault, it's Disney's. Rooms are not cleaned as they once were. I can't tell you how many times I've checked into a dirty room, and this was even before COVID, so that excuse won't fly anymore. Disney obviously doesn't care at all about the Guest experience anymore.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
People are up in arms about it because it's a continuing decline in service from Disney. From experience I can tell you even on check-out day with the Do Not Disturb sign on the door they will still knock. It's not the housekeeper's fault, it's Disney's. Rooms are not cleaned as they once were. I can't tell you how many times I've checked into a dirty room, and this was even before COVID, so that excuse won't fly anymore. Disney obviously doesn't care at all about the Guest experience anymore.
Umm, this was happening many years before COVID, so yes, COVID isn't the reason for it. Sorry that you have been given dirty rooms. I hope that you complained to the manager and were given new accommodations.

Minnesota disney fan

Housekeepers work a day shift that ends in mid to late afternoon. Does one expect them to hang out on the clock the first several hours of their shift? Don't want go be woken up? Try putting the Do Not Disturb sign on the front door .
I have been a housekeeper, though not at disney. We would never,, ever, knock on the guests doors before the Official check out time. No way, and I don't think it's appropriate for disney's either. Surely management knows the check out time and should adjust for that. It's really rude, IMO> We never had a problem. Some guests like to leave at the crack of dawn, and others like to leave as late as they can. It all evened out in the end.

Last edited:

HRHPrincessAriel

Then maybe a call to housekeeping the day before to let them know that you will be in the room until 11 would be helpful.
Why if check out isn't till 11? I have the room till 11. That should be an understood. People could have early morning dining reservations at a resort and come back at 10:30-10:45 to get their stuff. Wake up and hang out at the pool.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Why if check out isn't till 11? I have the room till 11. That should be an understood. People could have early morning dining reservations at a resort and come back at 10:30-10:45 to get their stuff. Wake up and hang out at the pool.
I give up. If people are so upset over this, then please yell at the CM, and then go yell at the manager. I'm out.

Lilofan

I have been a housekeeper, though not at disney. We would never,, ever, knock on the guests doors before the Official check out time. No way, and I don't think it's appropriate for disney's either. Surely management knows the check out time and should adjust for that. It's really rude, IMO> We never had a problem. Some guests like to leave at the crack of dawn, and others like to leave as late as they can. It all evened out in the end.
That's not realIstic. One can't clean all the rooms towards the latter part of their shift. I have seen the crew make our beds , then leave and when we check out the housekeeper cleans the room entirely. So what do you do for the first several hours of your workday if you don't start knocking on doors / cleaning by noon time?

Club Cooloholic

How would they know a guest checked out? Anymore people sometimes just leave without doing the checkout process at front desk or on the TV. Again, there hasn't been a time I haven't wanted a room early after my plane lands...only way to get it is if they can get into some before checkout.
I agree, they shouldn't knock on door saying it's time to leave but if there is no occupied hanger on the door, it's fair game to knock to at least check.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom