Housekeeping door knocking at 8am on check-out days - what's going on?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
But if they are knocking anyway then the door sign is being ignored. Offering some indication that you don't want someone to knock your door has been standard at all hotels for a very long time, its one of the most basic things in every hotel of every class.
I don't see why being frustrated about such a basic of running a hotel is immature?
And I don't see why they would be frustrated. Be polite and let them know when you are leaving. No big deal to us.
I don't think the anger should be taken out on an individual, but more whoever made the decision that do not disturb or room occupied signs should be ignored.
If it does upset people, then they are free to talk with the hotel manager. As you said, no reason to take it out on the person at the door.
If a knock is at a reasonable hour then I would be polite and let them know what time we might leave. But if the room occupied sign is on and a knock wakes me up then I think a complaint is justified.
So if checkout time is no later than 11am, I fail to see how someone would still be sleeping at 8:30. Again, I understand that's us, and people may like to sleep in, but if you are showering and packing that morning, you should be up quite a bit before that. We don't like to rush on any morning. JMHO.

Communicora

Premium Member
And I don't see why they would be frustrated. Be polite and let them know when you are leaving. No big deal to us.

If it does upset people, then they are free to talk with the hotel manager. As you said, no reason to take it out on the person at the door.

So if checkout time is no later than 11am, I fail to see how someone would still be sleeping at 8:30. Again, I understand that's us, and people may like to sleep in, but if you are showering and packing that morning, you should be up quite a bit before that. We don't like to rush on any morning. JMHO.

I'd encourage you to go back to the first post and read those tweets. Having your door knocked on four separate times or having someone knock at your door at 8:30 AM saying, "time to check out!" would surely make many people frustrated. No one should be taking it out on housekeeping, but come on, this is terrible customer service.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'd encourage you to go back to the first post and read those tweets. Having your door knocked on four separate times or having someone knock at your door at 8:30 AM saying, "time to check out!" would surely make many people frustrated. No one should be taking it out on housekeeping, but come on, this is terrible customer service.
The original tweet said nothing about them yelling that it was time to check out, just that they knocked on the door four times, which I will absolutely agree was a bit ridiculous. But after the first knock, did they tell the housekeeper when they would be checking out, or just ignored the knocking all 4 times? They didn't say anything about that.

Disney4Lyfe

I guess we are more forgiving for the job the housekeepers have to do, and would never get angry at them for knocking. We would just be polite and let them know about what time we will be out. Of course, we know that politeness is a thing of the past, but it wasn't when we were growing up. To us, getting angry at something like this is simply a sign of immaturity in that person.
The housekeepers knocked 4 separate times in once instance. And yelled at the guests to leave in another. Politeness typically works both ways.

Disney4Lyfe

I see nothing in the original tweet that states that.
Go look again.

2FA038D0-EC32-41D4-834B-98B46DD3617A.jpeg

HRHPrincessAriel

If we weren't headed to the parks that morning I can promise my husband would be sleeping in. He'd wake up at 10:15-10:30. He'd probably be mostly packed the night before as would I.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Which is absolutely ridiculous. Now you even have to schedule when you're going to be sleeping in your paid for hotel room.
Guess we think about common courtesy a bit more than most do nowadays. We are pretty much always out of our room by 7 or 8am at the latest, and always let them know that we are gone. I guess it's just to much of a hassle to make a quick 1 minute phone call to prevent them from knocking on your door so early, but that's just us.

Patcheslee

The one thing that made me slightly nervous when they changed this is, I'm admittedly a smoker. It wasn't uncommon for myself and DH to step out for one and grab some snacks from the resort shop, while DD got her shower and cleaned up for the day. Can't chain the door, signs may not work, and housekeeping would still come in. Thank God that hasn't happened either of our stays, but it isn't something we should even have to worry about.

drizgirl

Guess we think about common courtesy a bit more than most do nowadays. We are pretty much always out of our room by 7 or 8am at the latest, and always let them know that we are gone. I guess it's just to much of a hassle to make a quick 1 minute phone call to prevent them from knocking on your door so early, but that's just us.
I'm usually up by 6 or 7. But I'm always hoping I might sleep later. On the odd occasion I happen to be able to sleep, I would not be happy to be woken with a knock at the door before check-out time. Or if I had been up in the night having trouble sleeping, I would not be thrilled to have someone knock. You only get the room until 11 as it is. This is some MBA showing a graph and charts showing they can get by with X fewer housekeepers and save Y money if they can only get the guests out sooner.

This isn't the only way they can get those rooms turned over. It's the cheapest way they can get them turned over.

And before someone chimes in with "But Covid!" and "But staffing!", this started some time before the pandemic ever hit.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'm usually up by 6 or 7. But I'm always hoping I might sleep later. On the odd occasion I happy to be able to sleep, I would not be happy to be woken with a knock at the door before check-out time. Or if I had been up in the night having trouble sleeping, I would not be thrilled to have someone knock. You only get the room until 11 as it is. This is some MBA showing a graph and charts showing they can get by with X fewer housekeepers and save Y money if they can only get the guests out sooner.

This isn't the only way they can get those rooms turned over. It's the cheapest way they can get them turned over.

And before someone chimes in with "But Covid!" and "But staffing!", this started some time before the pandemic ever hit.
True, this has nothing to do with COVID, as we know it happened long before then. Again, if they knock on your door with the Room Occupied sign on the door at 8:30, then you should be complaining to the manager. That's pretty much the only way it will stop, is if enough people complain about the practice.

nickys

Premium Member
True, this has nothing to do with COVID, as we know it happened long before then. Again, if they knock on your door with the Room Occupied sign on the door at 8:30, then you should be complaining to the manager. That's pretty much the only way it will stop, is if enough people complain about the practice.
I’m confused.

A few posts ago you were berating people for not being up two and a half hours before check out time.

Now you’re agreeing it’s not acceptable.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I’m confused.

A few posts ago you were berating people for not being up two and a half hours before check out time.

Now you’re agreeing it’s not acceptable.
I wasn't berating anyone for not getting up early. Not sure where you are getting that, unless you think that my suggestion for calling housekeeping the day before was "berating"?

ETA: In our over 30+ trips over the last 10 years, we have never had housekeeping knock on our door on check out day. I believe that it does sometimes happen, and if the person doesn't like it, then complain to a manager. If that person knows that they will absolutely be in the room until 11, then I would think a quick call to housekeeping might alleviate the problem. I did not think any of it was berating someone for staying until check out time. If anyone here thought that, I apologize, as that was never my intention. I was just trying to be helpful, but I guess some don't see it that way.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom