Hotelier Ian Schrager working on Disney Hotels.

ItlngrlBella

Loooots of class envy on this board lately. It's very nourishing for my "ignore" list. Let me guess. Anyone with more money than you is too rich. But anyone with less money than you is responsible for the "Walmartification of WDW."

While you're busy hating successful people, I'll continue trying to be one.

For a minute I was expecting the Occupy crowd to come around. Thank goodness there are no police cars around here for them to poop on.

DDLand

Original Poster
I'm just astounded that WDW would even think of creating a first class experience, Especially since they have been so maniacally removing amenities from the 'Deluxe' hotels
That's why I'm surmising that this is going to be third party operated. Likely by him. He's not an architect, so much as he's an experience creater. He believes that the design is one part of a bigger picture. He has worked with some great designers, and also some great partners too.

TRONorail12

The article states it's based off of some of Walt's hotel sketches. For WDW, this would have been an Asian and Venetian themed resort on the Seven Seas Lagoon and a Persian resort on Bay Lake. What's even more interesting is that he already has hotels in development for Sanya (China), Bangkok (Thailand), Gurgaon (India), Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates) and Shanghai (China), with an existing hotel already built in Istanbul (Turkey). Sounds like he would bring a lot of experience and knowledge to the table in regards to at least the Asian and Persian themes. I still think there is potential for another Magic Kingdom resort around the 7 Seas Lagoon. The original Venetian site between TTC and Contemporary would be my first choice, but if you look at Google Earth, there is also a lot of potential between MK and the Grand Floridian.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, I didn't think so.

I usually stay at 1BR or higher WDW properties - I'll just list a couple

1 - Maintenance (veneer missing from BLT fixtures and broken appliances at checkin)
2 - Themed dinnerware removed at AKL and elsewhere in favor of cheap 'institutional' dinnerware which would be appropriate at the enlisted chow hall not the Officers wardroom.
3 - replacement of themed linens with cheap white linens
4 - reduction in quality of the toiletries as well as quantity.
5 - reduction of resort restaurant hours and menu choices.

I could go on for hours here

DDLand

Original Poster
Hotels for Disney based off Walt Disney's own sketches. Wouldn't that include the Asian and Persian resort that was originally planned for 7 Seas Lagoon.

Is the occupancy rate at the Deluxe resorts even high enough to justify a new Deluxe? Why do I feel like we have an exclusive DVC only resort coming soon.
Interesting. I'm not sure if he was involved in those projects or not. Remember the Resort Area as Walt presented it during his Epcot film was not nearly as grand, or even the main focus. He wasn't even on the design committee for MK. Did he have a hand in designing them? That's the million dollar question.

DDLand

Original Poster
Only if said redo includes demolition of the ugly, out of place, abomination of architectural design Bay Lake Tower next door.
I actually (I'm putting my good name at stake here) prefer Bay Lake Tower design to the Contemporary Resort proper. Call me crazy, but the smooth lines of that Hotel to me represent the modern design goals much more. No one said Contemporary had to be jagged and sharp.

CaptainAmerica

I usually stay at 1BR or higher WDW properties - I'll just list a couple

1 - Maintenance (veneer missing from BLT fixtures and broken appliances at checkin)
2 - Themed dinnerware removed at AKL and elsewhere in favor of cheap 'institutional' dinnerware which would be appropriate at the enlisted chow hall not the Officers wardroom.
3 - replacement of themed linens with cheap white linens
4 - reduction in quality of the toiletries as well as quantity.
5 - reduction of resort restaurant hours and menu choices.

I could go on for hours here
1. Maintenance isn't an amenity.

2. Plates aren't amenities and many "deluxe" style travelers would consider themed plates to be cheesy.

3. Themed linens were replaced with white linens property wide. It's a health issue. White linens can be bleached. This was a major initiative that cost a significant amount of money to deploy. It was not a cost cutting initiative.

4. The H20 toiletries are far superior to the crap they used to provide. You're crying about the quantity, seriously? They'll bring you more if you take three seconds to call the front desk.

5. Jiko, Citricos, Cali Grill, etc. are open until 10 PM. How the heck late do you eat dinner?

CDavid

Loooots of class envy on this board lately. It's very nourishing for my "ignore" list. Let me guess. Anyone with more money than you is too rich. But anyone with less money than you is responsible for the "Walmartification of WDW."

While you're busy hating successful people, I'll continue trying to be one.

There is clearly one thing which is even more inappropriate and uncalled for on the boards than class envy, and that is condescension.

While you have a legitimate point, ascribing all criticism of premium-priced offerings to "class envy' rather misses completely valid arguments about the development and interests of Walt Disney World's "bread & butter" middle-class guests.

3. Themed linens were replaced with white linens property wide. It's a health issue. White linens can be bleached. This was a major initiative that cost a significant amount of money to deploy. It was not a cost cutting initiative.

Which also makes the hotel rooms look more like a hospital ward and far less like the themed resort it's supposed to represent. I know its the current style and all, and some people actually like it, but its one thing I can't wait to go out of style.

CaptainAmerica

There is clearly one thing which is even more inappropriate and uncalled for on the boards than class envy, and that is condescension.

While you have a legitimate point, ascribing all criticism of premium-priced offerings to "class envy' rather misses completely valid arguments about the development and interests of Walt Disney World's "bread & butter" middle-class guests.
A sarcastic post about "the 1%" is absolutely NOT a "completely valid argument about the development and interests of Walt Disney World's 'bread and butter' middle-class guests."

ETA: I'm absolutely not in "the 1%" but I stay in deluxe resorts. Disney's bread and butter middle class are EXACTLY the people staying in Disney's deluxe resorts.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
1. Maintenance isn't an amenity.

2. Plates aren't amenities and many "deluxe" style travelers would consider themed plates to be cheesy.

4. The H20 toiletries are far superior to the crap they used to provide. You're crying about the quantity, seriously? They'll bring you more if you take three seconds to call the front desk.

5. Jiko, Citricos, Cali Grill, etc. are open until 10 PM. How the heck late do you eat dinner?

You really don't get it do you?,

I'm Hilton Diamond and Marriott Platinum I KNOW what a good hotel looks like, I know what a good hotel is maintained like maintenance quality is very much an anmenity and some properties especially those in major cities are known for their spotless appearance everywhere from the doormans uniform to the grout in the washrooms.

The dinnerware in both Marriott's 'Residence Inn' and Hilton's 'Homewood Suites' are several cuts above what is at Disney which is cheap institutional dinnerware. GOOD hotels with kitchen service suites usually have dinnerware which is unique to the property and in some cases unique to the suite itself.

I liked the H20 Stuff, Even bought the larger quantity from the Disney store for use at home, But as of December at BLT (in a Grand Villa) it had been replaced with some generic 'Disney Parks' carp

The current linens are CHEAP low thread count linens, Disney may have spent a lot of money I suspect they will be spending more to replace these frequently.

Most good hotels have room service till at least midnight, And lunch hours at places like the 'Turf Club' at SSR have been axed.

Disney charges FAR more than a first class Hilton or Marriott yet their amenities fall far short of the average Hilton Garden Inn or Fairfield.

CaptainAmerica

I'm Hilton Diamond and Marriott Platinum I KNOW what a good hotel looks like, I know what a good hotel is maintained like maintenance quality is very much an anmenity and some properties especially those in major cities are known for their spotless appearance everywhere from the doormans uniform to the grout in the washrooms.

The dinnerware in both Marriott's 'Residence Inn' and Hilton's 'Homewood Suites' are several cuts above what is at Disney which is cheap institutional dinnerware. GOOD hotels with kitchen service suites usually have dinnerware which is unique to the property and in some cases unique to the suite itself.
I'm also Hilton diamond so you get no "impressed" points from me on that. I also travel quite a bit to various HGVC properties with my in-laws. I've seen nothing at Disney timeshare resorts that isn't at the very least on par with the nicest of those resorts, especially Hilton's central Florida properties.

Most good hotels have room service till at least midnight, And lunch hours at places like the 'Turf Club' at SSR have been axed.
Did you ever actually GO to lunch at Turf Club? The place was absolutely empty always. "Most good hotels" serve lunch because "most good hotels" don't have 98% of the clients out at a theme park during lunch hours.

ETA: And I was extremely bummed that they closed TC for lunch. Those buffalo chicken nachos were on point.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm also Hilton diamond so you get no "impressed" points from me on that. I also travel quite a bit to various HGVC properties with my in-laws. I've seen nothing at Disney timeshare resorts that isn't at the very least on par with the nicest of those resorts, especially Hilton's central Florida properties.

Did you ever actually GO to lunch at Turf Club? The place was absolutely empty always. "Most good hotels" serve lunch because "most good hotels" don't have 98% of the clients out at a theme park during lunch hours.

If you are Diamond WHY do you accept the constantly declining standards of Disney hotels, unless of course you only stay in Hampton Inn's (Most of which are STILL better than Disney's properties)

Actually I went to the Turf Club quite often, They used to have a decent small steak for lunch, Then it was burgers now it's just overflow seating for the Artists Palatte.

yensid67

THE ONLY PLACE I COULD EVER SEE THIS GUYS 'TASTES' WORKING IS A COM;LETE REDO OF THE CONTEMPORARY! BUT why do that while the parks are in complete disarray and need more TLC than anything on property!? You would think that if they had better updated and expanded parks then the occupancy levels would rise and justify an addition to hotels on property. Anything other than that is not justified action!

DDLand

Original Poster
THE ONLY PLACE I COULD EVER SEE THIS GUYS 'TASTES' WORKING IS A COM;LETE REDO OF THE CONTEMPORARY! BUT why do that while the parks are in complete disarray and need more TLC than anything on property!? You would think that if they had better updated and expanded parks then the occupancy levels would rise and justify an addition to hotels on property. Anything other than that is not justified action!
Disney can do both at once. This is not going to pull them away from something pressing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom