Horizons vs Mission: Space

Better ride?

• Total voters

OG Runner

The dream of underwater bases is still very much alive. They're trying to build a big underwater research facility right now (which is closer to the Seas than the underwater living in Horizons, but still).

Regardless, it doesn't matter if the predictions were correct. It was more about an optimistic look at what could happen in the future than anything else. Horizons is still one of the 4 or 5 best rides Disney has ever built anywhere.

Sorry but I would have to agree to disagree on the last statement. "Horizons is still one of the 4 or 5 best rides Disney has every built anywhere." Put up a poll asking people to pick their all time favorite rides and I am sure you will not find Horizons in the top 5.

Robbydj13

Sorry but I would have to agree to disagree on the last statement. "Horizons is still one of the 4 or 5 best rides Disney has every built anywhere." Put up a poll asking people to pick their all time favorite rides and I am sure you will not find Horizons in the top 5.
Facts. Its great and holds a special place for a lot of people, but it would not be in anyones top 5

The Empress Lilly

Sorry to disagree. I am a fan of EPCOT and also hate some of the changes made. (Imagination never should have been changed)
However, Horizons, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth were pretty much the same ride. They had the same ride system, at the
same pace, etc. If you included Energy, you were basically moving in slow motion. Some changes needed to be made if for no
other reason than having some variety.
I somewhat agree that EPCOT had one omnimover type too many.

But the consistently followed through pace of FW also gave it a zen-like quality. EPCOT was not a theme park. EPCOT was a temple of humanity, a spiritual experience.

A coaster in FW, like a loud DJ Dance Party, is (was 😪 ) misplaced, it undermines the mood, like a sudden loud two minutes of rap music in the middle of the slow, lyrical movement of a symphony. The music has an unfolding of events, a key, with which it brings you in a certain mood.

91JLovesDisney

Sorry to disagree. I am a fan of EPCOT and also hate some of the changes made. (Imagination never should have been changed)
However, Horizons, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth were pretty much the same ride. They had the same ride system, at the
same pace, etc. If you included Energy, you were basically moving in slow motion. Some changes needed to be made if for no
other reason than having some variety.
But... you prefer MS?

UNCgolf

Facts. Its great and holds a special place for a lot of people, but it would not be in anyones top 5

I'm a person and it would easily be in my top 5. So would Spaceship Earth and the original Imagination ride. So 3 of the 5 best rides I've ever been on at Disney were all in the same park at the same time. And World of Motion could potentially make that list too on any given day, so it's possibly four of the top 5.

Only other real contenders for my top 5 are Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and 20K Leagues. And Rise I suppose but I haven't been on that yet. Pirates and the Great Movie Ride are close runners-up to that list.

It's pretty bad that out of the 12 rides I just listed, 5 no longer exist and one has been diminished (Spaceship Earth).

UNCgolf

We can’t take you too seriously though….you keep defending how great NRJ is too :rolleyes:

You have really bad reading comprehension.

I never once said NRJ was anything close to great. All I said was that it was closer to the Disney classics than a lot of other recent rides they've built, and better than anything they built at Toy Story Land and in other places. That doesn't mean it's great. You'll notice it doesn't appear in the 12 rides I mentioned above, and there are several others I'd list before it too.

UNCgolf

You have repeatedly defended it…that’s all I need to know…

I defended it as being better than a lot of the other mediocre to bad rides Disney has built in the last 20 years. That doesn't mean it's great or that I think it's one of the best rides at WDW.

spock8113

Just two completely different types of rides. As an old codger who is constantly yelling, "Hey you kids, get off my lawn" I certainly loved Horizons. There were pieces of Horizons that came from the old General Motors Futurama Pavillion at the "64 New York World's Fair

Mission Space was too intense at first and they had a few problems and victims. It is ride technology that might have pushed a bit too far, too soon. Oh, oh, World of Motion!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom