Horizons vs Mission: Space

Better ride?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
I don't want to appear negative, but I don't see how it is possible to compare Horizons and M:S. They are two completely different attractions with nothing in common other then being in Epcot. Horizon was a slow dark ride with many show scenes about the future on land, sea or space living. M:S (orange side) is a thrill ride through space to Mars with an action packed landing and with what passes for guest participation. Both were fun, both served their own purpose and one is no longer there.

M:S Green, is not much more then a singular version of Star Tours. Doesn't have the G-force factor of the Orange side but is still fun. Personally I liked it better when it was the same show as the orange side without the g-forces. With the new "just looking at the earth from space" view, it is interesting but not very exciting.
Mission: Space replaced Horizons, so that's why I compared them.

Goofyernmost

Mission: Space replaced Horizons, so that's why I compared them.
OK, I understand. You want to know of the two attractions that have sat on that spot, which one do you like the most. That's not a comparison that is a question of one's personal taste not necessarily the mechanics of the attraction. Either way for me. I liked them both equally. I wish they could have built M:S and still had Horizon, but I can't say that I like one better then they other based on their actual mission.

Giss Neric

I have no choice but to choose Mission Space cause I was still a kid when Horizons closed in 1999. It's fun watching POV of Horizons though.

acollins876

The thing that kills me about something like Horizons being gone is that part of the reason for getting more land than they could ever use for WDW property is that it can hold (paraphrased) "everything we can dream up." Horizons was so perfectly EPCOT. I don't think it would ever happen but I yearn for New Horizons or Horizons 2.0 or whatever they'd want to call it.

hopemax

If there is one good thing about Test Track it's that it's problems meant I got to experience Horizons. Even that far late in its life, it easily became my favorite Epcot attraction, and there are very few attractions anywhere that rank above it in my memories. I am so grateful for @marni1971 's video and the audio files that fans have preserved, so it's not that impossible to return to Brava Centauri if you close your eyes.

Goofyernmost

I have no choice but to choose Mission Space cause I was still a kid when Horizons closed in 1999. It's fun watching POV of Horizons though.
Honestly, Horizons was a very detailed hopeful depiction of the future yet to come. Even when it closed we still didn't have people living under the sea or in large communities in space and transportation doesn't quickly move us from one place to another anymore than it did in 1982, but many of the small things have not only happened but quickly became obsolete. The cube shaped orange trees were interesting and probably even possible but no one has decided to do it yet. It was a fun ride and a long ride but I found that the repeatability was limited. I started out going every trip and then skipped it every other visit because frankly it became a "take a nap in the cool air" ride for the majority. They really couldn't updated the future because the stuff they imagined back then still hadn't happened yet, so how could they go beyond that?

HouCuseChickie

Let's see...Mission Space Orange makes me want to 🤢, Mission Space Green makes me want to 😴, so Horizons is the logical choice. That being said, I know this is blasphemy to some, but I preferred World of Motion over Horizons.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
OK, I understand. You want to know of the two attractions that have sat on that spot, which one do you like the most. That's not a comparison that is a question of one's personal taste not necessarily the mechanics of the attraction. Either way for me. I liked them both equally. I wish they could have built M:S and still had Horizon, but I can't say that I like one better then they other based on their actual mission.
Yea they are in the same location and M:S replaced Horizons, so
I wanted to see what people would prefer.

OG Runner

This post right here is case in point why “Walt said the park will never be finished” is a stupid refrain to justify pointless tinkering.

Horizons, World of Motion, Imagination were all near perfect or perfect attractions that could not just be left alone.
Sorry to disagree. I am a fan of EPCOT and also hate some of the changes made. (Imagination never should have been changed)
However, Horizons, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth were pretty much the same ride. They had the same ride system, at the
same pace, etc. If you included Energy, you were basically moving in slow motion. Some changes needed to be made if for no
other reason than having some variety.

aliceismad

Sorry to disagree. I am a fan of EPCOT and also hate some of the changes made. (Imagination never should have been changed)
However, Horizons, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth were pretty much the same ride. They had the same ride system, at the
same pace, etc. If you included Energy, you were basically moving in slow motion. Some changes needed to be made if for no
other reason than having some variety.
There's the unpopular opinion that I agree with. :) I mean, they were all different rides but they don't seem different enough to be entertaining to future generations for the long haul. I would've kept Horizons if possible, but given the space available, etc. I can see why they chose to replace it.
Will be the next poll.
I understand why you did Horizons and M:S because so many would've preferred Horizons stayed, myself included. They're just such different experiences.

tpoly88

Before the green version there was nothing better than to watch people running off MS to the nearest bush or grass area to throw up. it was a show!!

OG Runner

The first time I rode MS, (there was only one version), I felt a little wobbly getting off the ride and decided maybe something
a little less intense next. I went on Spaceship Earth. Unfortunately, the affects of MS must I stayed with me. The ride stopped
near the burning of Rome and am pretty sure I am one of the only people to ever get sick on Spaceship Earth. (The tuna
wrap I had for lunch at the Land, before MS probably didn't help either.)

Goofyernmost

Before the green version there was nothing better than to watch people running off MS to the nearest bush or grass area to throw up. it was a show!!
I think that statement comes into the same genre as "reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated". I rode orange, when it was the only one and also after Green came in and I never saw or heard anyone getting ill. I understand that since Orange is a centrifuge that inner ear problems can and will cause nausea, however, there were 40 million signs up about it and some people still decided to see if it was true or not. In other words, those that didn't heed warnings might have gotten sick but there was no mass vomiting that I ever witnessed. Not even one within my vision range!

Last edited:

OG Runner

I think that statement comes into the same genre as "reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated". I rode orange, when it was the only one and also after Green came in and I never saw or heard anyone getting ill. I understand that since Orange is a centrifuge that inner ear problems can and will cause nausea, however, there were 40 million signs up about it and some people still decided to see if it was true or not. In other words, those that didn't heed warnings might of gotten sick but there was no mass vomiting that I ever witnessed. Not even one within my vision range!

I was intentionally hiding from you.

Djsfantasi

I don’t understand the comments about MS:O... I find the ride rather tame! But I guess that’s just me.

Never rode Horizons, so can’t compare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom