Horizons vs Mission: Space

Better ride?

• Total voters

UNCgolf

Sorry to disagree. I am a fan of EPCOT and also hate some of the changes made. (Imagination never should have been changed)
However, Horizons, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth were pretty much the same ride. They had the same ride system, at the
same pace, etc. If you included Energy, you were basically moving in slow motion. Some changes needed to be made if for no
other reason than having some variety.

Who cares if the ride system is the same? The content was different, which is what matters. There was a ton of variety. That's like complaining that Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid are the same ride, or that Pirates of the Caribbean and Frozen Ever After are the same ride.

Last edited:

aliceismad

Who cares if the ride system is the same? The content was different, which is what matters. Horizons, World of Motion, and Spaceship Earth were dramatically different and had far more variety than two different roller coasters ever can.

They were maybe the three best rides at all of WDW in the early 90s; they were definitely my favorites as a kid.
Right. But if Magic Kingdom was all Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, etc. slow dark style rides, we'd find that boring as well, even if the rides are good. A park should have a variety and be well-rounded, even if it's got edutainment at it's core. Ideally that would mean keeping the rides and adding new ones rather than replacing perfectly enjoyable rides, but that doesn't seem to be the way.

ETA: Maybe "boring" isn't the proper word, but a bit one-note or one-sided.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Right. But if Magic Kingdom was all Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, etc. slow dark style rides, we'd find that boring as well, even if the rides are good. A park should have a variety and be well-rounded, even if it's got edutainment at it's core. Ideally that would mean keeping the rides and adding new ones rather than replacing perfectly enjoyable rides, but that doesn't seem to be the way.

ETA: Maybe "boring" isn't the proper word, but a bit one-note or one-sided.

I wouldn't! Give me a park that consists entirely of well executed omnimovers and boat rides and I'd be happy -- you could throw in some trackless rides too, since they're in the same category to me. I'm sure that's part of the reason original EPCOT is by far my favorite theme park ever, although the actual content of those rides is the most important part. It didn't seem like there was any wasted space on rides that I could do anywhere, which is how most roller coasters feel to me (barring some heavily themed hybrid ones like Revenge of the Mummy).

OG Runner

Who cares if the ride system is the same? The content was different, which is what matters. There was a ton of variety. That's like complaining that Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid are the same ride, or that Pirates of the Caribbean and Frozen Ever After are the same ride.

The only reason someone would care is that all of those rides were in the same park and in close proximity.
Also, though the content was different, it was also presented in the same format, using animatronics. I enjoyed
the rides also, but was not that sad to see them go. Spaceship Earth is still there and I am more than happy to
ride it every time I am at EPCOT.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The only reason someone would care is that all of those rides were in the same park and in close proximity.
Many saw that as a blessing. And many saw them as sufficiently different (fun fact, each ride system was unique to each pavilion)

One of the beauties of EPCOT Center was it catered for those who wanted more than a Magic Kingdom. For those for who it was like too much like hard work there was always Six Flags.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Sorry to disagree. I am a fan of EPCOT and also hate some of the changes made. (Imagination never should have been changed)
However, Horizons, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth were pretty much the same ride. They had the same ride system, at the
same pace, etc. If you included Energy, you were basically moving in slow motion. Some changes needed to be made if for no
other reason than having some variety.
At least, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth each had more specific themes, whereas Horizons was just redundant of the theme of the entire land. Plus, World of Motion had quite a bit more humor in its execution.

AFoodie

Horizons is one of the best rides Disney has ever built anywhere. It was a masterpiece.

Mission: Space is a ride.
Well said! Horizons was pretty much a summary of everything Walt Disney envisioned for his Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow and then some!

Mission: Space is cool, but not something I’m nostalgic for or pore through YouTube videos to experience again & again. No contest!

AFoodie

I don't want to appear negative, but I don't see how it is possible to compare Horizons and M:S. They are two completely different attractions with nothing in common other then being in Epcot. Horizon was a slow dark ride with many show scenes about the future on land, sea or space living. M:S (orange side) is a thrill ride through space to Mars with an action packed landing and with what passes for guest participation. Both were fun, both served their own purpose and one is no longer there.

M:S Green, is not much more then a singular version of Star Tours. Doesn't have the G-force factor of the Orange side but is still fun. Personally I liked it better when it was the same show as the orange side without the g-forces. With the new "just looking at the earth from space" view, it is interesting but not very exciting
I don't want to appear negative, but I don't see how it is possible to compare Horizons and M:S. They are two completely different attractions with nothing in common other then being in Epcot. Horizon was a slow dark ride with many show scenes about the future on land, sea or space living. M:S (orange side) is a thrill ride through space to Mars with an action packed landing and with what passes for guest participation. Both were fun, both served their own purpose and one is no longer there.

M:S Green, is not much more then a singular version of Star Tours. Doesn't have the G-force factor of the Orange side but is still fun. Personally I liked it better when it was the same show as the orange side without the g-forces. With the new "just looking at the earth from space" view, it is interesting but not very exciting.
I wouldn't! Give me a park that consists entirely of well executed omnimovers and boat rides and I'd be happy -- you could throw in some trackless rides too, since they're in the same category to me. I'm sure that's part of the reason original EPCOT is by far my favorite theme park ever, although the actual content of those rides is the most important part. It didn't seem like there was any wasted space on rides that I could do anywhere, which is how most roller coasters feel to me (barring some heavily themed hybrid ones like Revenge of the Mummy).
Agree. I’d love a park with Horizons, World of Motion, Spaceship Earth, the original Journey Into Imagination, Peter Pan’s Flight, The Mummy, E.T. Adventure & The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ... oh yeah, and both Wizarding World lands :p

donaldtoo

I always love when members pop in with these threads and ask the rest of us to explain/discuss, yet, they don’t explain/discuss themselves... :cyclops:🤷‍♂️ :hilarious:

kpilcher

At least, World of Motion and Spaceship Earth each had more specific themes, whereas Horizons was just redundant of the theme of the entire land. Plus, World of Motion had quite a bit more humor in its execution.
Indeed. By design. But not redunt. Horizons was the thesis statement of Future World, the synthesis of all ideas. Motion was history of transportation with a small peek at the future, SSE - history of communications with small peek at the future, Energy - energy, Land - farming and food, etc.

Horizons was the history of the future, with much more than a peek at what‘s coming. That was half the ride. And quite a lot of it has already come true, or is getting much closer. It was just a little ahead of its time.

Goofyernmost

Indeed. By design. But not redunt. Horizons was the thesis statement of Future World, the synthesis of all ideas. Motion was history of transportation with a small peek at the future, SSE - history of communications with small peek at the future, Energy - energy, Land - farming and food, etc.

Horizons was the history of the future, with much more than a peek at what‘s coming. That was half the ride. And quite a lot of it has already come true, or is getting much closer. It was just a little ahead of its time.
History of the future??? How's that possible? 😉 The others showed the history and Horizon pulled them all together and attempted to predict the future based on land, sea and space. Or in other words... The Land, The Living Seas, UofE, World of Motion, Imagination and even electronic progress. They came the closest to at least touching on what happened in the area of Electrical technology. But, most of it never happened so it really wasn't dated in that sense, but it didn't hold the audience. The problem, in my mind, is that there were a limited number of people that were interested in living underwater, in a big wheel in space with random boots floating around. It was indeed a very entertaining, comically portrayed story of a possible future. But, it was like a joke you heard a hundred times and you already know the punch line. It just didn't have the ability to capture enough of the audience to make it inspiring. For some, yes it was, but for most it was just entertainment and the edu in edutainment was missing. It had to be, because, it was primarily all imaginary thoughts, nothing to be learned just wished for by some.

OG Runner

I always love when members pop in with these threads and ask the rest of us to explain/discuss, yet, they don’t explain/discuss themselves... :cyclops:🤷‍♂️ :hilarious:
Sometimes you just wind up the toy and let go, to see where it goes. To me it is surprising the tangents many of
these discussions go off in once they are started. I would imagine there is a certain satisfaction in starting a discussion
that has had more than 70 responses.

Heppenheimer

Meh... Horizons actually got most of the future wrong, at least thus far. We're not even considering colonization of the sea, and we've just now re-started a very small attempt to expand our reach into space. Terreforming is now viewed as causing more harm than good. Personal robots were only a brief and somewhat niche fad in the 80s. Dense urban living is out, telecommuting is in. The biggest advances, by far, in the nearly 40 years since Epcot opened were in communication technology, personal computing, and the biosciences, and if anything, it looks like the next big revolution will be in clean energy.

Of all the pavilions at Epcot 1.0, the Land and the Communicores probably predicted our current age the best.

BTW, I wouldn't expect a theme park attraction to provide accurate predictions on the future of technology. All the more reason why these kinds of things work best for temporary gatherings, like World Expos, but not as a permanent ride at a theme park.

UNCgolf

Meh... Horizons actually got most of the future wrong, at least thus far. We're not even considering colonization of the sea, and we've just now re-started a very small attempt to expand our reach into space. Terreforming is now viewed as causing more harm than good. Personal robots were only a brief and somewhat niche fad in the 80s. Dense urban living is out, telecommuting is in. The biggest advances, by far, in the nearly 40 years since Epcot opened were in communication technology, personal computing, and the biosciences, and if anything, it looks like the next big revolution will be in clean energy.

Of all the pavilions at Epcot 1.0, the Land and the Communicores probably predicted our current age the best.

BTW, I wouldn't expect a theme park attraction to provide accurate predictions on the future of technology. All the more reason why these kinds of things work best for temporary gatherings, like World Expos, but not as a permanent ride at a theme park.

The dream of underwater bases is still very much alive. They're trying to build a big underwater research facility right now (which is closer to the Seas than the underwater living in Horizons, but still).

Regardless, it doesn't matter if the predictions were correct. It was more about an optimistic look at what could happen in the future than anything else. Horizons is still one of the 4 or 5 best rides Disney has ever built anywhere.

Heppenheimer

The dream of underwater bases is still very much alive. They're trying to build a big underwater research facility right now (which is closer to the Seas than the underwater living in Horizons, but still).

Regardless, it doesn't matter if the predictions were correct. It was more about an optimistic look at what could happen in the future than anything else. Horizons is still one of the 4 or 5 best rides Disney has ever built anywhere.
It would have been perfect as a contribution to the 1981 World's Fair. But as a permanent ride, we're back again to the Tomorrowland problem. The march of progress will inevitably overtake yesterdays speculation. This works fine when the focus is looking backwards with nostalgia, like the Carousel of Progress, but it means without constant and expensive updates, yesterday's tomorrow will always come across as naive at best, misguided and actually harmful at worst (see desert terreforming).

There is no theme park economic reality where Horizons could have survived long term. I even remember pretty low wait times for it during Future World's mid-80s heyday, especially compared to Spaceship Earth, Journey Into Imagination and Living with the Land. No way Disney was ever going to spend the kind of money needed to keep this attraction relevant when it wasn't even that popular to begin with.

UNCgolf

Funny that. I queued through the exterior rope switchbacks In 87 and 90. Both of which just goes to show straw pole attempts at guessing popularity are pointless.

I seem to remember waiting longer for Horizons than any of the other EPCOT rides except Imagination, but it was long enough ago that who knows.

I think the continued reverence for it certainly tells us something, though. World of Motion was a great ride too but it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of discussion that Horizons still receives.

Disstevefan1

I am a huge Horizons fan. I remember it well. I love mission space, but preferred Horizons. If I had my way, we would have both. Before I understood the money machine that is TWDC, I would naively say, “Instead of bulldozing an attraction to replace it, why can’t just build the new attraction in an empty spot” 😀

aliceismad

It would have been perfect as a contribution to the 1981 World's Fair. But as a permanent ride, we're back again to the Tomorrowland problem. The march of progress will inevitably overtake yesterdays speculation. This works fine when the focus is looking backwards with nostalgia, like the Carousel of Progress, but it means without constant and expensive updates, yesterday's tomorrow will always come across as naive at best, misguided and actually harmful at worst (see desert terreforming).

There is no theme park economic reality where Horizons could have survived long term.
I think Horizons could've survived. I'm just not convinced that it would survive long term alongside all of the other classic Epcot rides. All rides are going to be a reflection of the place and time when they're conceived and built, and there's a certain understanding of that. But a whole park (or park front) full of rides that feel "outdated" doesn't seem like it would be successful. Certainly some rides age better than others. Trying to continually modernize a ride, though, just seems like a futile effort. Technology moves too fast now to keep up with it, unless the actual companies developing the technologies are showcasing it on a temporary basis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom