Horizons Question...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How did the choose your ending exactly work?
How did they incorporate 3 endings to make it fit each vehicle.
The onboard polling system chose a majority (or random tie) and informed the RCS of the choice. The video was then pulled off videodisc by DACS and played as a rear projection via 7 GE Talaria PJ-5055s. A projection screen moved along at the same speed as your ride vehicle, inline with the real static Lexan screens behind it. You may also have noted the same music was used, and the vehicles tipped back at the same place no matter what ending; each film was the same length, and each had broadly movement at the same time.

tirian

Horizons was probably the only attraction in Epcot that never should have been destroyed. Many Imagineers felt that it belonged inside SSE because Horizons demonstrated how the various pavilions in Future World related to each other.

Here's hoping that the SSE refurb makes it more like Horizons! :sohappy:

PlutoInOrlando

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
The onboard polling system chose a majority (or random tie) and informed the RCS of the choice. The video was then pulled off videodisc by DACS and played as a rear projection via 7 GE Talaria PJ-5055s. A projection screen moved along at the same speed as your ride vehicle, inline with the real static Lexan screens behind it. You may also have noted the same music was used, and the vehicles tipped back at the same place no matter what ending; each film was the same length, and each had broadly movement at the same time.

I, for some reason-no matter whom I was with, would always seem to choose the Space film. Every once in a while we would choose the Sea one, and then when we got desperate as a joke we would do the Desert film. Always loved the fact that the vehicle leaned back and "vibrated" with the movement of the film (more on the lines of Mission to Mars seat vibration, but still).

jmvd20

This site has a collection of demolition pictures from Horizons, one of the best I have found.

http://surf.to/horizonstragedy

In my opinion Disney really screwed this one up, period.

Anyway, I will never forget the orange smell and the feeling of the storm rolling in during the desert scene.

SDav10495

Horizons must be the Ben Kenobi of WDW.

Ha, very true. :lol:

Really though, even if the sinkhole theory was true and the demo was a necessity, even if it was dated and not drawing in the crowds anymore, the destruction of Horizons is one of the great tragedies of WDW. If I sound like I'm being overly dramatic, I'm fully aware--I understand that it's "just" the demolition of a ride, not some disastrous accident that took lives--but still...it's hard for me not to feel just awful when I see a demolition photo.

Horizons was one of the most ambitious and cohesive rides Disney ever created, and it had such a wonderful message about the future. More than any other ride at EPCOT Center, Horizons welcomed and celebrated the 21st century years before it actually arrived. And then, like some Sophoclean twist of fate, as if it was destined never to be, the ride was left shuttered and dark when that century finally came--never again to invite another guest to dream about the future. And the thought of that immense building being gutted...all those sets, all those Animatronics...and finally being torn down (in the most unattractive fashion) before the eyes of park guests...again, I know it's totally melodramatic, but to me it's as if the ride's history follows some great, sad story arc, like its fate was spelled out from the day it opened. :(

jmvd20

Ha, very true. :lol:

Really though, even if the sinkhole theory was true and the demo was a necessity, even if it was dated and not drawing in the crowds anymore, the destruction of Horizons is one of the great tragedies of WDW. If I sound like I'm being overly dramatic, I'm fully aware--I understand that it's "just" the demolition of a ride, not some disastrous accident that took lives--but still...it's hard for me not to feel just awful when I see a demolition photo.

Horizons was one of the most ambitious and cohesive rides Disney ever created, and it had such a wonderful message about the future. More than any other ride at EPCOT Center, Horizons welcomed and celebrated the 21st century years before it actually arrived. And then, like some Sophoclean twist of fate, as if it was destined never to be, the ride was left shuttered and dark when that century finally came--never again to invite another guest to dream about the future. And the thought of that immense building being gutted...all those sets, all those Animatronics...and finally being torn down (in the most unattractive fashion) before the eyes of park guests...again, I know it's totally melodramatic, but to me it's as if the ride's history follows some great, sad story arc, like its fate was spelled out from the day it opened. :(

Very well said, I am in complete agreement.

I have tons of great memories on Horizons, our entire family loved EPCOT and thought that Horizons, not SSE was what tied future world together perfectly.

Horizons could have been updated instead of being destroyed, I still think the sinkhole theory is garbage, and to add insult to injury the grand replacement has been a PR disaster to say the least - but I digress.

Rob562

Horizons could have been updated instead of being destroyed, I still think the sinkhole theory is garbage, and to add insult to injury the grand replacement has been a PR disaster to say the least - but I digress.

A quote from an Imagineer who occasionally posts on rec.arts.disney.parks (and for all I know posts on here too, under a different screen name) and is a reliable source for info:

Well, I painted myself into a corner on this one - not wanting to say out loud that we knew that the building was beginning to 'lean' to one side as far back as 1992, but then I found a press release for the Epcot 10-year anniversary that mentioned it - so I'm OK (meaning that it's ok for me to talk about it). The reports that came out ** during demolition ** were something of a reminder to the fans that were upset at it's demise, that at the very least, the building had to fall.

True, ridership did start falling off, partially because we started closing the attraction for longer and longer periods, in order to shore up the structure. Even Michael liked Horizons - and he wanted it kept open as long as possible until a new design was ready to go (this included several redesigns of Horizons as well as new designs - for the new building).

It was never said that a sinkhole was the cause, but there *were* at least structural issues.

-Rob

Oh, as sad as this picture is....I found it at www.extinctattractionsclub.com
I might buy the DVD from them, but really just wanted to see the track layout and not a "whole" production about it.

I have the DVD, along with WoM and Alien Encounter. It's worth the money, without a doubt. I miss all three of those attractions, and this is the closest you can get to getting them back. The Horizons DVD gives pretty good insight to how the ride was setup and the backstory to it. Highly suggest it.

PlutoInOrlando

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
This site has a collection of demolition pictures from Horizons, one of the best I have found.

http://surf.to/horizonstragedy

In my opinion Disney really screwed this one up, period.

Anyway, I will never forget the orange smell and the feeling of the storm rolling in during the desert scene.

Those pictures make we just want to throw up :hurl: Just sick at looking at the tear down of that amazing building.

That was some fantastic work back when EPCOT opened. Talk about "looking into the future!"

jmvd20

A quote from an Imagineer who occasionally posts on rec.arts.disney.parks (and for all I know posts on here too, under a different screen name) and is a reliable source for info:

It was never said that a sinkhole was the cause, but there *were* at least structural issues.

-Rob

I hadn't seen that comment before...

However if they truly wanted to save it they could have. It still seems to me like these stories of having to destroy it even though they really didn't want to were just released to quell some of the backlash.

I have saved numerous buildings with structural deficiencies, very rarely is it bad enough to be forced to raze a structure that was not even a decade old, though it does happen.

Now they claim that it had major structural problems that had to be shored up as early as 1992???

I doubt Disney would have ever re-opened Horizons if that were the case, the liability of opening something after it has been found to have major structural problems is enormous.

If the building were leaning to one side as is claimed there *should* have been some visual evidence of the stress from such an event, especially considering that they calim it was bad enough to warrant complete removal of the structure. Exterior facades cracking around the beams etc... From the pictures in the link I posted none of that was present until the started the demo.

jessfriends

Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of Horizons??? :confused:
I remember the ride, but I am having trouble picturing what it looked liked once you entered the building until you board the vehicle.

The pictures of the demoliton is very sad to look at. :cry: This ride was my all time favorite and I think in a way inspired me to like computers/computer information systems (one of my college majors I am currently studying) and technology. Same with CoP & SSE. There is just something about those rides that makes me happy. I just can't quite explain how they impacted me. Its werid. I know it sounds weird but oh well.
EPCOT Center has influenced me to like retro 80s things like music etc.

Although it is sad that Horizons is gone, I was happy to look at the message boards and seeing a discussion about it!!! :D

SDav10495

Does anyone have any pictures of the inside of Horizons??? :confused:
I remember the ride, but I am having trouble picturing what it looked liked once you entered the building until you board the vehicle.

Even better than pictures for a quick Horizons fix (i.e. no immense video downloads):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGByAds2_AE

Don't be thrown by the sight of Mission: Space at the beginning...once it all comes full circle by the end, it's actually kind of poignant.

Shadowdawn

Wow....I remember growing up on this ride. I always thought it was amazing that the orange smell was just as real as the actual orange trees littered around Florida. I remember going back to Epcot after moving up north and finding that Horizons was gone. I remember looking at the WoL and asking why couldn't they have turn down that lovely *sarcasm* place.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wow....I remember growing up on this ride. I always thought it was amazing that the orange smell was just as real as the actual orange trees littered around Florida. I remember going back to Epcot after moving up north and finding that Horizons was gone. I remember looking at the WoL and asking why couldn't they have turn down that lovely *sarcasm* place.

That's a very good question!

I remember hearing something about structural problems, but I think that was a load of you-know-what.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom