Horizons Question...

PlutoInOrlando

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
A few of my friends and I were talking the other day (well, e-mailing) about how much they loved/miss Horizons.
As one of them started talking about the ride vehicles, it was brought up that he/and then everyone/ couldn't get a good picture of how the track used to travel.
As it was such a long attraction and with the vehicles traveling sideways (up/down/tight corners/not so tight corners) you, or at least I, could never really get a layout in my mind.

Does anyone know where you might could find the track layout of the RIP attraction?

Oh, as sad as this picture is....I found it at www.extinctattractionsclub.com
I might buy the DVD from them, but really just wanted to see the track layout and not a "whole" production about it.

Anyway....here's the pic

horizons_tear_down.jpg

MGMBoy

Maybe these will help a bit more. Got them from "EPCOT Discovery Center". I've had them for 10+ years.

Load/Unload Area, etc.:

17.gif

Omni Screens and other stuff:

18.gif

This help? (If you want to see them better, they're both in my album.)

raven

It's very difficult to follow as the ride was very long in length. The picture above is probably the best to see the layout. But nothing beats actually riding the attraction. :cry:

PlutoInOrlando

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Maybe these will help a bit more. Got them from "EPCOT Discovery Center". I've had them for 10+ years.

Load/Unload Area, etc.:

17.gif

Omni Screens and other stuff:

18.gif

This help? (If you want to see them better, they're both in my album.)

Yeah...that is a bit better for actually looking at the track layout! Thanks!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep, my diagram isn`t the clearest is it? Horizons was such a complex beast regarding its layout; I`ll try to explain:

Load was on the lower level. You continued on the lower level until the Future From the 50's scene, when you began to ascend. You continued to ascend through the Omnispheres until reaching Nova Cite on the upper level. At the end of the Messe Verde (Desert Farm) scene you began to descend, the angle getting steeper through the Classroom scene, until you reached the lower level after the Undersea Restaurant. During Space, you`d ascend again to the upper level, arriving at the top inside the Brava Centuri docking bay. Travelling through Brava, the descent began again at the end of the Birthday party, and you reached ground level again for the Choose Your Ending simulations.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here`s another, slightly less cluttered version (bear in mind the elevation has been exaggerated):

Attachments

• horizons level changes 3D.jpg
    horizons level changes 3D.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 83

PlutoInOrlando

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Wow - never really realized that you traveled up to the 2nd floor, and back down, twice. Guess when ever I noticed we were going up or down - I just didn't pay any further attention to it as I always got wrapped up in the attraction.

**sigh :zipit: **
Just think of what this attraction could have been with a big-'ol renovation!

Ahhh - I can smell the Oranges now!

Orange_scene.jpg
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/3463/Orange_scene.jpg

hrcollectibles

Wow - never really realized that you traveled up to the 2nd floor, and back down, twice. Guess when ever I noticed we were going up or down - I just didn't pay any further attention to it as I always got wrapped up in the attraction.

**sigh :zipit: **
Just think of what this attraction could have been with a big-'ol renovation!

Ahhh - I can smell the Oranges now!

Orange_scene.jpg

I am glad I am not the only one lol.. How high up did it go?

PlutoInOrlando

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
From what I can tell, the highest track section was about 38ft above ground. The buildings apex housed the 60ft high Omnimax screens, the ride didn`t get that high.

And who would have ever thought that you were 3 1/2 stories above the ground during the attraction? :veryconfu

EpcotServo

Man, that picture is sad. How they just tore down an engineering marvel with no respect. Not a fitting end if you ask me. though by striking Horizons down, it has become more powerful than Disney will ever know. Now Horizons will live FOREVER!!!
:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom