Hoop Dee Doo Revue Change Confirmation

menamechris

Original Poster
Well...I am in the unfortunate position of having to confirm the rumor that the music has changed in the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue. I attended the show this evening, and not only is the opening song completely different (no more Hoop Dee Doo Polka), but the dinner call (Chow Down song) is no more as well. Have to admit it was extremely disappointing.

I tried to keep an open mind, but the new opening song (especially) was not near as infectious and memorable as the original (Stupid lyrics like "Let's raise the roof in this hoop dee doo" didn't help either).

I spoke to the waiter and asked if the changes were permanent or temporary while the legal situation was worked out - and he said they have all been told these are permanent changes to the show - and unfortunately - I am apparently only the second guest in a week to notice the change.

I really hope Disney did everything possible to negotiate being able to keep using the original music. In my opinion, something has certainly been lost with the change. This show went from being one of my all time favorite things at the resort - to just being just an alright dinner show..

captainkidd

I hate to say it, but I think it's about time. The show has been the EXACT same for as long as I can remember. It's not funny after a few times.

I was sitting a couple weeks ago at a table at Teppan Edo with a CM who does the training for both the luau and Hoop Dee Doo. He informed me these changes would be coming.

WDWLOYAL1971

We must remember that even though we grow attached to what we already know and enjoy, change is what keeps Disney going. If they were to keep everything as is with no changes, there wouldn't be anything new to enjoy and it could become just boring. Yes, the changes may disappoint us, but just cherish the memories of what used to be and enjoy the new. :wave:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I hate to say it, but I think it's about time. The show has been the EXACT same for as long as I can remember. It's not funny after a few times.

But it's not as if the show has received some radical revisions because it was stale. The only reason these changes were made was because Disney didn't want to pay the licensing fee to use the songs. The jokes apparently all remain the same. If you were bored before, you're still gonna be bored.

This is a shame.

ERich2010

depends on when you go. since theres a good amount of improv allowed, they often push the boundaries for the later show. while the structure is the same, the jokes arent, which is why i keep going back.

Scuttle

This is very sad indeed. I just saw the show early June and it blew me away with how good it was. I guess atleast saw the original before this absurd change happened!

Tinkerbell 8

Does anyone know what the person who had to song copywrited wanted from Disney? I would think that it would be beneficial for that person seeing as how popular the song/show is. I have to wait until next year to hear the new songs, maybe something will change by then, if not then I'm still going to see the HDDR every trip.

prberk

I know that I just saw a show this month (at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, I believe) that used "Hoop De Do Polka". It was a pleasant surprise.

I would have thought that that was in the public domain. Sigh.

Paul

Victor Kelly

well if disney did in fact just "pirate" no pun intended, the song then it had to be changed. However, 40 years later and someone realized this was happening? Excuse me while I put on my pesimistic doubtful hat.

menamechris

Original Poster

Well, if you were tired/bored with the old show, you will still be tired/bored with it. the script has not changed. Jokes are the same. So, if its not your cup to tea, it still isn't. But for people who are fans of the show, something is definitely missing now...

Goofy6294

We must remember that even though we grow attached to what we already know and enjoy, change is what keeps Disney going. If they were to keep everything as is with no changes, there wouldn't be anything new to enjoy and it could become just boring. Yes, the changes may disappoint us, but just cherish the memories of what used to be and enjoy the new. :wave:

I agree with change for the better, just not "Tiki Room" type of change

menamechris

Original Poster

While I understand your train of thought, I don't think it applies here. This is a show. Shows don't just swap out musical numbers for the fun of it. In fact, most people in the business I would assume would cringe at the idea. Musical numbers are typically carefully selected for the theme, atmosphere, and story being told - whether it be a serious Broadway production - or something as corny and zany as the Hoop Dee Doo...

Potato01

I went to the Hoop Dee Doo Revue last week and I'm pretty sure I laughed for the entire hour and a half I was there...I suppose I liked the changes. It was awesome. I would like to note that it was not even half full, the balcony sections were not used, but it's probably cause I went to the 9:30 show.

Kamikaze

You're definitely on the wrong site. A lot of people here would be very happy if nothing ever changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom