Hong Kong Expansion = Anaheim Expansion?

TP2000

Original Poster
I don't know which talented Imagineers are behind the decidedly more Ryman-esque concept art released for this project, but kudos to them. It's so much easier on the eyes than the very harsh and cartoony art released for some other recent projects.

Wow, great point. Herb Ryman.

Yes, all of this Hong Kong artwork is dramatically better looking and more sophisticated than the cartoony-clunky stuff WDI belched out for New Fantasyland, etc. during the Rasulo-Staggs era. Like this pointless and wildly inaccurate image from 2011 with little Timmy crossing an alarmingly out of code footbridge over a babbling brook...
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/01/seven-dwarfs-mine-train-art-high-res.jpg

Which by 2015, on a good day, just ended up looking like this instead...
mine_train_ride_disney_world.jpg

Earl Sweatpants

Wow, great point. Herb Ryman. Yes, all of this Hong Kong artwork is dramatically better looking and more sophisticated than the cartoony-clunky stuff WDI belched out for New Fantasyland, etc. during the Rasulo-Staggs era. Like this pointless and wildly inaccurate image from 2011 with little Timmy crossing an alarmingly out of code footbridge over a babbling brook...

WOW...yeah...I'm starting to realize more and more that "concept art" is most literal in the "concept" part. "This is what the land COULD look like...probably won't though."

GiveMeTheMusic

Wow, great point. Herb Ryman. Yes, all of this Hong Kong artwork is dramatically better looking and more sophisticated than the cartoony-clunky stuff WDI belched out for New Fantasyland, etc. during the Rasulo-Staggs era. Like this pointless and wildly inaccurate image from 2011 with little Timmy crossing an alarmingly out of code footbridge over a babbling brook...

This made me spit out my drink.

TP2000

Original Poster
It's worth mentioning that Bob Weis, head of WDI, tweeted a link to an article speculating about what of HKDL's expansion could be repurposed for WDW. An uncharacteristic move for Weis - could be hinting at something, although for the life of me I don't know what.

Very interesting. Frozen is out since they already got that out of their system with Frozenstrom in Norway. What's left is Marvel E-Ticket (Epcot?) or perhaps Buzz Lightyear repurposing to Ant Man (that poor Omnimover just can't catch a break). WDW just redid their Hub for entertainment, and I would have to think Cinderella Castle is iconic enough that they wouldn't do the Princess Mish-Mash treatment to it.

Weis must be hinting at Marvel stuff.

Earl Sweatpants

It's worth mentioning that Bob Weis, head of WDI, tweeted a link to an article speculating about what of HKDL's expansion could be repurposed for WDW. An uncharacteristic move for Weis - could be hinting at something, although for the life of me I don't know what.
Well, I just read the article, and it fully speculated that Marvel's footprint would probably not grow given the whole UNI scenario...best bet....

MOAR FROZEN!1!1!

GiveMeTheMusic

Very interesting. Frozen is out since they already got that out of their system with Frozenstrom in Norway. What's left is Marvel E-Ticket or perhaps Buzz Lightyear repurposing to Ant Man (that poor Omnimover just can't catch a break). WDW just redid their Hub for entertainment, and I would have to think Cinderella Castle is iconic enough that they wouldn't do the Princess Mish-Mash treatment to it.

Weis must be hinting at Marvel stuff.

Which is weird, because they're so limited in what they can do with Marvel at WDW. I could see Moana coming to WDW in some form, but the Marvel attractions are a no-go for WDW with Ant-Man and the Avengers at large.

Earl Sweatpants

Article excerpts:

"For example, if Hong Kong's Frozen area is successful, that could spell more growth for the existing Frozen areas in Orlando. The movie sensation has had a presence at nearly every Disney park in Orlando, but Epcot's Frozen Ever Afterand Royal Sommerhus attractions have the potential — and available land — to expand if Disney decides to move in that direction."

"Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Orlando's chances to win a Marvel area to match the size of Hong Kong Disneyland's plans. That's because Disney likely would face a a barrier to character use because Universal Orlando Resort still has theme-park rights to the Marvel family — a deal signed before Disney acquired Marvel in 2009.

That is a shame as Marvel is a powerhouse brand that's getting more popular, and Walt Disney World has the capacity to build a massive Marvel area that would revolutionize Orlando tourism."

SSG

Well, I just read the article, and it fully speculated that Marvel's footprint would probably not grow given the whole UNI scenario...best bet....

MOAR FROZEN!1!1!
The only time the phrase ‘More Frozen’ is acceptable is if you tack ‘Margaritas’ on the end.

BrianLo

If they went forward with it today, I'm sure it would be some loose IP hodgepodge where the theme is DIZNEE

Islands of Adventure, essentially. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but that's definitely the general idea.

Instead of books or whatever thing the wand wavers cling to, the running narrative is definitely "DIZNEE owns us!"

Animal Kingdom is the last new concept either company will likely produce for decades and decades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom