Holy Moly!!! - Pirates Water Park

CoryMitchell

yellowrocket said:
Yeah, it looks great, but Jim Hill didn't get it from an inside source, he stole it of Scott Sherman's online portfolio

http://www.scottshermandesign.com/images_show/OtherProjects1A/op1Ao8PiratesWaterPark.jpg

He even had the nerve to airbrush out Scott's signuture on the drawing.

Sometimes... I wonder why people even bother reading what he publishes.

We at Jim Hill Media recieved this piece of artwork from an inside source at WDI. We did not crop out Mr Sherman's name. We published the image as it was delivered to us. There was no intention to remove credit from Mr. Sherman. We have now added an update to the article that mentions Mr. Sherman and links to his website.

Cory Mitchell
JHM Creative Director.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
yellowrocket said:
Yeah, it looks great, but Jim Hill didn't get it from an inside source, he stole it of Scott Sherman's online portfolio

http://www.scottshermandesign.com/images_show/OtherProjects1A/op1Ao8PiratesWaterPark.jpg

He even had the nerve to airbrush out Scott's signuture on the drawing.

Sometimes... I wonder why people even bother reading what he publishes.

Yeah a lot of stuff recently on the web has been coming from that online portfolio. http://www.scottshermandesign.com/html/otherprojects1a.html

Its interesting that JHM are no longer bragging that they are the first people to show the world that concept art. That line has now been replaced with some text stating that the autor of the art was Scott.

I think it's a stretch to base an article around a piece of artwork in someones portfolio. Concept designers at WDI produce lots and lots of these kind of things, often without it ever having a chance of being actually produced.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
CoryMitchell said:
We at Jim Hill Media recieved this piece of artwork from an inside source at WDI. We did not crop out Mr Sherman's name. We published the image as it was delivered to us. There was no intention to remove credit from Mr. Sherman. We have now added an update to the article that mentions Mr. Sherman and links to his website.

Cory Mitchell
JHM Creative Director.

I would bet that the inside source at WDI might not be quite who they say they are. It's most likely someone online who found the artwork, removed the logo, and sent it in under the guise of working for WDI. I get that kind of stuff happening here quite a bit.

CoryMitchell

wdwmagic said:
I would bet that the inside source at WDI might not be quite who they say they are. It's most likely someone online who found the artwork, removed the logo, and sent it in under the guise of working for WDI. I get that kind of stuff happening here quite a bit.

steve,
I know who the source is, I obviously can't say who, for job safety reasons. But, I'm confident in the source and the fact that the source didn't just pull the image from Scott Sherman's website.

djmatthews

Looks amazing, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. If it were to be built, surely it would be in WDW or DL. The other resorts don't have a suitable climate.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
dont you think people should check the source before they write an article about it stating what they did. maybe they did and the source was wrong..........

shin kicking for stupidity now.

jrriddle

I smell another "Let's bash Jim Hill" thread coming.
(For the record, I like his site)

At any rate, I would guess all the parks except Paris would be considered.
Best would be it becomes another "ToT" franchise and everyone gets it eventually.

CoryMitchell

jmaxwell007 said:
dont you think people should check the source before they write an article about it stating what they did. maybe they did and the source was wrong..........

shin kicking for stupidity now.

Feel free to kick my shins all you like if it will make you happy. I feel bad that we claimed to have the image before anyone else when that wasn't true, but all I can do is correct the issue and give credit to the artist.

netenyahoo

I would actually like it if Disney had a Pirates themed hotel with a water park attached. If they only do a water park it could be indoors or outdoors. I think more than likely it would probably go to DLR as they are trying to become a multi-day resort. If it does go to DLR then I hope it is an huge indoor waterpark with a little bit outside.
I just don't think Disney is ready to build a huge new water park at WDW yet. Maybe in like 10 years. The thing is they could get away with building similar water parks at both DLR and WDW. They could both be pirate themed, but have different water rides, etc.

ogryn

Original Poster
CoryMitchell said:
Feel free to kick my shins all you like if it will make you happy. I feel bad that we claimed to have the image before anyone else when that wasn't true, but all I can do is correct the issue and give credit to the artist.

I agree. That's the best you can do (and the correct thing to do), seeing the article was published.

Tell Jim to keep these sort of articles up. I for one, like them, and even if they are just blue-sky, I still find some of it inspirational. (and as long as you correct your mistakes, that's fine... everyone makes them... )

:wave:

PhilosophyMagic

If the WDW waterparks are popular, perhaps this could replace River Country in that area! Makes sense being near MK anyway, and perhaps another park would be helpful in the northern area of WDW.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
CoryMitchell said:

I think the magnitude of the original brag about being the first on the internet to show the image is responsible for the backlash. After reading the original article, I was left with the feeling that the author was primarily bragging that the JHM site was the first to get the artwork, and that everyone should remember that! (The actual wording pretty much said that as the conclusion to the article). No matter who it was sent in by, the fact that it came from someone's portfolio now makes that claim seem even more arrogant.

DisneyRoxMySox

Isn't the River Counrty area small though?

(P.S. Steve, can you check up on the Win a WDWMagic Pass thread please? I'm dying to know the answer)

CoryMitchell

wdwmagic said:
I think the magnitude of the original brag about being the first on the internet to show the image is responsible for the backlash. After reading the original article, I was left with the feeling that the author was primarily bragging that the JHM site was the first to get the artwork, and that everyone should remember that! (The actual wording pretty much said that as the conclusion to the article). No matter who it was sent in by, the fact that it came from someone's portfolio now makes that claim seem even more arrogant.

does anyone have any bandages for my shins? They are bleeding.:eek:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
CoryMitchell said:

LOL well you wernt the author were you? So I didnt think you deserve any kicking! ;)

yellowrocket

wdwmagic said:

I agree. I was the one who called attention to the fact it was from a personal portfolio. I don't think anyone would have minded where it came from if the author hadn't been so high and mighty on himself. Insight and analyis of the picture is fine, but when someone boasts "Remember where you saw it here first, folks!" when, in fact, it *wasn't* where it was shown first, it just calls attention to the shallow esteem issue.

trackbarroness

DisneyRoxMySox said:
Isn't the River Counrty area small though?

(P.S. Steve, can you check up on the Win a WDWMagic Pass thread please? I'm dying to know the answer)

The area that River Country is in is big enough for a PoTC theme. It's already set up, so all they (WDI) has to do is redisgn(sp) the area. That would be a fun thing do to. I really can see something along those lines fitting in very well.
Some imagination eh? :cool:

CoryMitchell

wdwmagic said:
LOL well you wernt the author were you? So I didnt think you deserve any kicking! ;)
No, I wasn't the author. But as a member of the editorial staff for the site, and as the guy who talks to the public through boards and such, I will take the kicking. I must say that I felt good thinking that we were going to be the first ones to show the pic. It's natural in the competitive Disney internet community to feel that way. So, now we wipe the egg off our faces and move on.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
CoryMitchell said:
thanks for the laugh.................. if they arent for you, then pass them along

YellowRocket said:
I agree. I was the one who called attention to the fact it was from a personal portfolio. I don't think anyone would have minded where it came from if the author hadn't been so high and mighty on himself. Insight and analyis of the picture is fine, but when someone boasts "Remember where you saw it here first, folks!" when, in fact, it *wasn't* where it was shown first, it just calls attention to the shallow esteem issue.
that is the only reason im kicking shins....... and now a pat on the back for fixing the problem.

everyone is happy now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom