Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

TsWade2

Hey guys,

I’ve been having anxieties about the Hollywood strike recently and it’s hurting my mental health until I found this article from Hollywood Reporter: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...ke-therapist-mental-health-advice-1235518462/ And I’m so glad I read that and maybe try to follow that article’s advice. I think I need to set my appointment to my psychiatrist soon. Anyway, for those of you who have anxieties about the Hollywood strikes, I suggest you read this article or google it to find an article to how to cope during this double strike. Thanks.😉

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They want a digital-equivalent of Neilsen ratings and to be compensated on viewership.
There already is such a thing as Nielsen ratings for streaming, we have a thread on it that tracks the numbers weekly.

As for the compensation, in the contract that just expired unless I'm mistaken the residuals kick in 90 days after first release on streaming.

So are we sure this is their gripe, or is there more nuance to it such as they want the residuals to kick in immediately and more visibility into streaming numbers, etc.?

CaptainAmerica

There already is such a thing as Nielsen ratings for streaming, we have a thread on it that tracks the numbers weekly.

As for the compensation, in the contract that just expired unless I'm mistaken the residuals kick in 90 days after first release on streaming.

So are we sure this is their gripe, or is there more nuance to it such as they want the residuals to kick in immediately and more visibility into streaming numbers, etc.?
Nielsen's streaming ratings are not close to accurate.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nielsen's streaming ratings are not close to accurate.
So the argument then is for more transparency in the streaming numbers as it related to compensation.

Which as I've been saying in other threads will in my opinion end up legitimatizing streaming in terms of its potential financial viability long term.

It'll be interesting to watch this play out and see if AMPTP caves in on this point.

CaptainAmerica

in my opinion end up legitimatizing streaming in terms of its potential financial viability long term.
Streaming is not financially viable long term.

It'll be interesting to watch this play out and see if AMPTP caves in on this point.
My understanding is that this is THE sticking point for Netflix in particular. They're not expected to budge on this.

TsWade2

I guess we’ll have to wait until either September and October to end the Hollywood strike, that is, if it’s ever going to end. The AMPTP are so stubborn. :(

TP2000

Original Poster
I think they should learn to code.
All kinda’ like the buggy whip manufacturers after the automobile was invented…!!!!! :D :hilarious:

It is all a bit ironic and rich, isn't it? 🤪

One of the best comments I saw in the media a few days ago was... "The Hollywood elites who told blue collar workers being put out of their jobs to learn how to code are now being replaced by people who learned how to code."

donaldtoo

It is all a bit ironic and rich, isn't it? 🤪

One of the best comments I saw in the media a few days ago was... "The Hollywood elites who told blue collar workers being put out of their jobs to learn how to code are now being replaced by people who learned how to code."

Yep, funny how arrogance can come back and bite you on your backside…with a vengeance…!!! ;)

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm not sure how the Hollywood unions are going to put AI technology back in its box and pretend it doesn't exist. It can, and will, replace human writers and human actors to at least a moderate extent. They've got to figure out how to work with it, not pretend it doesn't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Netflix Top 10 is not accurate, nor is it meant to be. That's a marketing device.
At least they publicly release them, other streamers including Disney doesn't.

Just like the real box office numbers, which is also heavily guarded by studios, even if there is a bit more transparency doesn't mean it'll be anymore accurate than what Nielsen and Netflix provide today.

TsWade2

I give up. I guess I'll have to live with it. Because I don't think it'll end anytime soon. Those AMPTP people are so evil! And I doubt Gavin Newsom will fix it. :( No doom and gloom intended, I'm just being realistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom