Holding your hands up in the air on Space Mountain

Goofyernmost

How a coaster works is that you're getting forces against you and the train. Gravity, inertia, and air/wind. The more surface area you present to the air/wind, the more force you're getting and therefore the ride feels more intense. It really is simple physics.
Probably explains why I am not a coaster fan. When I do ride one, it is thrilling and that thrill, to me, is the same hands up or hands down. Perhaps it is my internal instinct to remain anchored. That's possible.

Goofyernmost

For me personally, it adds a much higher thrill factor to the ride. Some rides it gives the sensation of being in a freefall or somewhat out of control or the feeling that you are going to fly off. This very thread is also another reason, the sense of inherit danger, even though none exists. Different strokes for different folks. I always have my hands up on all coasters or drops on Splash, Pirates or TOT. There are some coasters the if you raise your arms out it even simulates flying, like Tatsu at Magic Mountain. Highly recommended at night with your arms out. It's exhilarating, terrifying and fun - all at the same time.

In the end, riding thrill rides gives people the adrenaline rush. Putting your hands up all the way just adds more to that feeling for some. Myself included.
OK, I can see that and it also explains my lack of seeing the positive in it. My family will gladly tell you the degree of control freak that I am. (Not toward them but myself) I cannot stand to be out of control. When I was in Vietnam and everyone around me was completely obliterated drunk, I could not drink more then one drink without throwing up. I could not allow myself to be out of control. I hate that feeling, so, yea, I guess I can understand that this is my obsession and not that of others. I don't mind if people do it, I just cannot bring myself to find the enjoyment of it.

KBLovedDisney

OK, I can see that and it also explains my lack of seeing the positive in it. My family will gladly tell you the degree of control freak that I am. (Not toward them but myself) I cannot stand to be out of control. When I was in Vietnam and everyone around me was completely obliterated drunk, I could not drink more then one drink without throwing up. I could not allow myself to be out of control. I hate that feeling, so, yea, I guess I can understand that this is my obsession and not that of others. I don't mind if people do it, I just cannot bring myself to find the enjoyment of it.
Oddly enough, that is how I feel about Simulators. I feel more in control on a roller coaster than on a Simulator. My dad was the same way. He was a crop-duster, and flying those things were no problem. But he hated simulators because he said he wasn't in control. (He might have been the same way about roller coasters too.)

crxbrett

Oddly enough, that is how I feel about Simulators. I feel more in control on a roller coaster than on a Simulator. My dad was the same way. He was a crop-duster, and flying those things were no problem. But he hated simulators because he said he wasn't in control. (He might have been the same way about roller coasters too.)

I had a really bad fear of flying, phobia level, when I was a teenager/young adult and it was because of the lack of being in control factor. I hated it. I eventually lost the fear though.

mikenatcity1

I can remember riding SM for the first time and ducking my head down thinking for sure my head was gone. Stupid I know. Common sense has prevailed and I don't do it any more, still won't put my hands up.

Ha! "Common sense"...I can't tell you how many times i've ridden the ride over the last 15 years and I still duck every time :) Of course, it's usually followed by a giggle, but I always forget about it and try to duck out of the way.

I have never raised my hands on this ride...for the same fear mentioned here (even though I know it's not possible for my height).

bh_trade

I am only 6' tall and way too chicken to hold my hands up on SM!

Off topic: some of those rides in WDW are clearly not built to accommodate those over 6' tall. SM for example, has crazy little legroom and even my head hits the top of the doom buggy on HM, forcing me to slouch slightly

Incomudro

No one would question this if it weren't in the dark.
There's an illusion and mystery of not knowing for certain what's there. Like @ChristyKay , I ball myself up into the car and I'm 5'6". Not because I believe I'm a giant and I'll get decapitated, but because I don't know where my body is in relation to the structure. I am confident I will not be harmed, but because I can't see, it's an instinctual reaction to protect myself. Like no one crouches down or worries about their hands touching something on any other coaster with similar measurements. But those are all in the light. If @ajkraz is safe, were in the clear.

LOL, I do the same thing!
I'm a 5'11" tall male, and I know in reality that my head must be very far away from any supporting structures - but I can't help to duck!
I feel like I am in imminent threat of decapitation for most of the ride!
That's part of the fun.

KBLovedDisney

LOL, I do the same thing!
I'm a 5'11" tall male, and I know in reality that my head must be very far away from any supporting structures - but I can't help to duck!
I feel like I am in imminent threat of decapitation for most of the ride!
That's part of the fun.
5' 3" here and I instinctively curl up whenever we go through the tunnel with that "head-chopper" effect.

cmoliver68

I can assure you certain areas of SM can be touched. I was on the ride a few weeks ago and put my hands up in the first (blue) tunnel and touched the ceiling and I am only 5'11". I know I touched it because I received a pretty good static electricity shock. What made it worse is I was pretty soaked from walking around the park all evening in the rain. That wasn't the first time I had touched it, just no shock the first time. It is also quite easy to reach the walls of People Mover in the area around Buzz.

Incomudro

5' 3" here and I instinctively curl up whenever we go through the tunnel with that "head-chopper" effect.

Couple all of that with the feeling that the car might disengage from the track.
That last one might be more of e areal threat than I'd like to believe according to some posters here on this forum.

KBLovedDisney

I can assure you certain areas of SM can be touched. I was on the ride a few weeks ago and put my hands up in the first (blue) tunnel and touched the ceiling and I am only 5'11". I know I touched it because I received a pretty good static electricity shock. What made it worse is I was pretty soaked from walking around the park all evening in the rain. That wasn't the first time I had touched it, just no shock the first time. It is also quite easy to reach the walls of People Mover in the area around Buzz.
I think the posters here are more so referring to the poles and support beams of the track itself. The light tunnel ceilings are very reachable. (Although I wouldn't recommend it, unless you brought hand sanitizer)

Incomudro

Yeah, I don't doubt you can touch a tunnel wall - but that's not what scares me.
It's those horizontal steel cross members overhead that get me ducking.

nelson

Hope I am not sitting behind you... When I finally got to ride the mine train I saw the photo taken along the way. The person in front of me had her arms up and ruined my photo. If you are sitting in front of me, do not hold your arms up. I grab them and make sure they are pulled back into my seat area. I will insist it is for your safety. Yes, I can reach that far...

I thought I was going crazy, but I put my hands up and touched the ceiling during the tunnel too, and I swore I got shocked. I can also put my hands up and touch the red "wormhole" tunnel. I'm also 5'11" btw.

Moss44

Call me crazy, but on my visit in March I touched a support beam shortly after the first lift hill, while leaning into a turn. I'm 6 foot almost exactly, but I have relatively long arms/fingers. It stung, but didn't hurt too bad because the ride hadn't accelerated much yet. I kept my hands down the rest of the ride because I was too scared I'd hit them again. I've been on it tens of times and that's the only time it's happened

John park hopper

Did not know you were a Vietnam vet welcome home brother in arms

Lewanc

I've read that it's impossible for your fingertips to hit the tracks above you, but I'm still not convinced. I swear it looks like that track is barely above my head, and I admire people who do it anyways.

Also what about the man who is 6'10 with lanky arms? Still completely impossible to hit the track?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom