Holding your hands up in the air on Space Mountain

The Empress Lilly

In the new backstory, Luke rode Space Mountain as a young adult during Hyperspace Mountain overlay.

luke-skywalker-empire-strikes-back-hand-944094.jpg

One his first ride, we told my uncle (probably 6'1") that he had to be careful of sticking his hands up. We were just messing with him, but we could hear him screaming every time he thought he was going to hit a part of the frame. We weren't even on the same track as him - his screams were that loud.

Stitch_Fan_NJ

I'm not going to lie I'm 6'2" and have always been scared to put my hands up but like many of you had said after millions upon millions have ridden you'd think we'd have many cases if you were in any danger of putting your hands up.

AndrewsJ

Before coasters are allowed to be opened to the public, to ensure safety, they run a test with a frame that is attached to the ride car which has extensions that reach all around where a persons hands/ arms might/could reach to contact any framework. I remember somebody posting a photo of one a while ago, when 7DMT was being tested.
Are we sure they had those things back when SM was built? They may have just done testing with cast members. Joking of course.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I keep my hands up all the time on it and never let them down. Although I'm only a little over 5'4 so there's that. I guess it actually does have its advantages. LOL!

andrew870

I don't hold my hands up on anymore coasters. I did on one and about broke a finger from hitting another track that crossed over. But it wasn't at the magic kingdom.

DisneyPrincess5

I don't hold my hands up on anymore coasters. I did on one and about broke a finger from hitting another track that crossed over. But it wasn't at the magic kingdom.
Umm I hit my finger on my dresser today and thought I was gonna cry and puke. I can't even imagine how much that hurts!!!!

Bender123

There are actual people who are banned from the ride due to height and there is a maximum height limit...

I believe the height limit on Space Mountain is seven feet or so. I know it was a funny issue a decade or two ago that Shaquille ONeil was not allowed to ride, because he is too tall/arms re too long for safe riding. A gentleman I was on Tower of Terror with a week ago was 7'2" and was laughing that the CMs had to politely pull him aside and would not let him on SM...he got a paper fastpass for any other ride after he waited in line. The bars are high enough for 99.9% of us, but there are people that it does run the risk for.

In a different height related issue, even as 6'4" person, there are many coasters I have been on with a height limit...the worst is Batman at Six Flags Great America. It has a limit of 6'4" due to the seat height to shoulder restraints. I can not ride it, because I ended up with massive bruises on my shoulders, due to the restraints. If it had been any worse I would have had broken collar bones from the ride.

Tall people problems at WDW include mostly leg room...TT (always ask for front of car...back has legs against hard plastic front seats), Spaceship Earth (really tight seats), etc...

Height was never considered before about 20 years ago...Being tall at a theme park can really suck.

KBLovedDisney

Tall people problems at WDW include mostly leg room...TT (always ask for front of car...back has legs against hard plastic front seats), Spaceship Earth (really tight seats), etc...

Height was never considered before about 20 years ago...Being tall at a theme park can really suck.
My husband is 6' 5". His problem at theme parks has always been leg room, especially on rides like SM and EE. He loves rollercoasters and just pretzels himself into the ride car (even though it is very uncomfortable for him).

Bender123

My husband is 6' 5". His problem at theme parks has always been leg room, especially on rides like SM and EE. He loves rollercoasters and just pretzels himself into the ride car (even though it is very uncomfortable for him).

Back seat on TT makes me scared my knees are going to be shattered at the stops...Its just not fun back there. Many of the boat rides are the same and trying to pack four across just isn't possible as everybody needs to splay a bit to fit out legs in. My fiancée is 6' tall as well and we had massive problems trying to pretzel her legs and mine into many rides. I couldn't imagine how awful being even taller would be...

Goofyernmost

Yet another thing that I really don't understand. What is the purpose of the hands in the air situation. How does that enhance the experience. More air time maybe? I really don't know.

Kamikaze

Yet another thing that I really don't understand. What is the purpose of the hands in the air situation. How does that enhance the experience. More air time maybe? I really don't know.

The bigger surface area you present, the more forces (air) act against that area and therefore the experience is enhanced.

When you put your hand out a car window and the air forces it back - same principle. Instead of the forces of gravity and air only against the train and your upper body, you're now adding your arms to that. Super bonus if you keep your feet off the bottom of the train too.

Goofyernmost

The bigger surface area you present, the more forces (air) act against that area and therefore the experience is enhanced.

When you put your hand out a car window and the air forces it back - same principle. Instead of the forces of gravity and air only against the train and your upper body, you're now adding your arms to that. Super bonus if you keep your feet off the bottom of the train too.
Sure, but, how is that any more fun then just riding. Is it simulating living on the edge, challenging the bravery factor? What does it do other then show wind resistance to make it an enhancement. Guess one has to feel it to understand it, so, I'll take your word for it and say, hey, whatever floats your boat, but, I don't see how I can understand it. FYI, I did try it once and only felt that my arms were aching by the time the ride was done.

Kamikaze

Sure, but, how is that any more fun then just riding. Is it simulating living on the edge, challenging the bravery factor? What does it do other then show wind resistance to make it an enhancement. Guess one has to feel it to understand it, so, I'll take your word for it and say, hey, whatever floats your boat, but, I don't see how I can understand it. FYI, I did try it once and only felt that my arms were aching by the time the ride was done.

How a coaster works is that you're getting forces against you and the train. Gravity, inertia, and air/wind. The more surface area you present to the air/wind, the more force you're getting and therefore the ride feels more intense. It really is simple physics.

wdwfan757

I always wondered about this. The roof of one of the caves at BTMR is easily touched by a long armed tall person with his/her hands up. It's not exactly pleasant, but probably one of those things where the people who experience that are the people who aren't going to raise a big deal over it.

crxbrett

For me personally, it adds a much higher thrill factor to the ride. Some rides it gives the sensation of being in a freefall or somewhat out of control or the feeling that you are going to fly off. This very thread is also another reason, the sense of inherit danger, even though none exists. Different strokes for different folks. I always have my hands up on all coasters or drops on Splash, Pirates or TOT. There are some coasters the if you raise your arms out it even simulates flying, like Tatsu at Magic Mountain. Highly recommended at night with your arms out. It's exhilarating, terrifying and fun - all at the same time.

In the end, riding thrill rides gives people the adrenaline rush. Putting your hands up all the way just adds more to that feeling for some. Myself included.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom