Holding your hands up in the air on Space Mountain

retroeric

Original Poster
I've read that it's impossible for your fingertips to hit the tracks above you, but I'm still not convinced. I swear it looks like that track is barely above my head, and I admire people who do it anyways.

Also what about the man who is 6'10 with lanky arms? Still completely impossible to hit the track?

retroeric

Original Poster
If it could happen, don't you think we would have heard about the lawsuit by now?
No actually. It's Disney. :)

Also I'm not sure how much chance a lawsuit would have considering they tell you to keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times.

However, is putting them up in the air considered outside the vehicle?

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I've read that it's impossible for your fingertips to hit the tracks above you, but I'm still not convinced. I swear it looks like that track is barely above my head, and I admire people who do it anyways.

Also what about the man who is 6'10 with lanky arms? Still completely impossible to hit the track?

If it could happen, don't you think we would have heard about the lawsuit by now?

It's hard to imagine out of all of the millions of people who have been on Space - something would've happen by now.

mergatroid

Towards the end is where it feels very low. Whilst I couldn't imagine Disney making something that was so obviously dangerous (they have riders with learning difficulties who wouldn't understand warnings), I really wouldn't want to try raising my arms just in case.

crxbrett

It's definitely an illusion. I always raise mine as high as can be. If you've ever gone on with the lights on, you will see just how far away the beams and girders and tracks are above you. I mean, someone who is 7' tall's head would probably stick higher up than someone who is 5'5 with their hands all the way up. I would say the closest anybody comes to any beam or track is maybe 5-6 feet. There is a lot of clearance.

crxbrett

This video does a good job of showing how far away the beams above are. The ceiling in the very end tunnel looks a good 1 -3 feet lower than any of the beams during the actual ride. So if you stick your hands up all the way in that end tunnel and see how far your hands are from the top, add an additional foot or two probably to that.

21stamps

No actually. It's Disney. :)

Also I'm not sure how much chance a lawsuit would have considering they tell you to keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times.

However, is putting them up in the air considered outside the vehicle?

Putting hands in the air is not considered "outside of the vehicle".

I don't think any ride manufacturer would be crazy enough to design a ride where someone's hands could tounch another track while holding them straight up.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
This video does a good job of showing how far away the beams above are. The ceiling in the very end tunnel looks a good 1 -3 feet lower than any of the beams during the actual ride. So if you stick your hands up all the way in that end tunnel and see how far your hands are from the top, add an additional foot or two probably to that.

I watched the video a CM took of DLR's Space Mountain with the lights on...it was awesome!

JIMINYCR

Putting hands in the air is not considered "outside of the vehicle".
I don't think any ride manufacturer would be crazy enough to design a ride where someone's hands could tounch another track while holding them straight up.

Before coasters are allowed to be opened to the public, to ensure safety, they run a test with a frame that is attached to the ride car which has extensions that reach all around where a persons hands/ arms might/could reach to contact any framework. I remember somebody posting a photo of one a while ago, when 7DMT was being tested.

crxbrett

Before coasters are allowed to be opened to the public, to ensure safety, they run a test with a frame that is attached to the ride car which has extensions that reach all around where a persons hands/ arms might/could reach to contact any framework. I remember somebody posting a photo of one a while ago, when 7DMT was being tested.

These things, right?

03-sdmt-clearance-rig.jpg

Here's a good shot to get an idea of how big and the amount of coverage those fixtures go out to simulate people's arms and hands.

seven-dwarfs-test.jpg

DisneyPrincess5

No one would question this if it weren't in the dark.
There's an illusion and mystery of not knowing for certain what's there. Like @ChristyKay , I ball myself up into the car and I'm 5'6". Not because I believe I'm a giant and I'll get decapitated, but because I don't know where my body is in relation to the structure. I am confident I will not be harmed, but because I can't see, it's an instinctual reaction to protect myself. Like no one crouches down or worries about their hands touching something on any other coaster with similar measurements. But those are all in the light. If @ajkraz is safe, were in the clear.

John park hopper

I can remember riding SM for the first time and ducking my head down thinking for sure my head was gone. Stupid I know. Common sense has prevailed and I don't do it any more, still won't put my hands up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom