Hogwarts Express Backstage Photos

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm wondering about that, too. Will both sets of windows have the same depth of field? How will the seating be oriented? Will riders be facing the side with the "big bump"?

Anyone in the know have any hints?

Having the seats facing the side wouldn't be very realistic, and I don't see how they could put something like that on the other side since that is the side you will see from platform. My only other thought is that the cars will have the individual cabins like you see a lot in the movie. These are all on one side of the train with the hallway on the other which would give them an opportunity to do something less elaborate on the hallway side for the effect. The problem I see with this is it would reduce the number of seats the cars could accommodate.

TalkingHead

That is indeed how seating will be, cabin style.

Mike, got any idea about how they'll handle the windows facing the loading platform? Obviously they'll do something to hide the backstage areas once the train gets moving. Will those windows feature the high-tech features we've heard about?

HTF

Ok I'll chime in on this one. The interior will have a walkway or aisle that runs along the side of the train car. Each 8 person facing person cabin will be accessible from said aisle. The doorways into the cabins will feature wooden doors with clear glass inserts again just like the movies. Those glass inserts will feature a unique effect that will be able to recreate the freezing effect. All the exterior windows will feature new ultra high def display units giving you the glimpse outside but not backstage. Each and every cabin will feature a large led window display, a projection dementor effect, special effects package including rapid temperature changes, lighting, and water spritzers, as well as an ice over effect. Not to mention a Dolby Audio package that will leave you shaking.

TalkingHead

Ok I'll chime in on this one. The interior will have a walkway or aisle that runs along the side of the train car. Each 8 person facing person cabin will be accessible from said aisle. The doorways into the cabins will feature wooden doors with clear glass inserts again just like the movies. Those glass inserts will feature a unique effect that will be able to recreate the freezing effect. All the exterior windows will feature new ultra high def display units giving you the glimpse outside but not backstage. Each and every cabin will feature a large led window display, a projection dementor effect, special effects package including rapid temperature changes, lighting, and water spritzers, as well as an ice over effect. Not to mention a Dolby Audio package that will leave you shaking.

That helps a lot. Makes me smile just reading about it. I think I'm even more excited for the train than I am for Gringott's.

HTF

By the way 7 cabins per train car.

2 trains (Hogwarts Express) Each train will consist of 1 Locomotive, 1 coal car, and 3 passenger cars.
3 Passenger Cars per train with each passenger car offering 7 cabins
7 cabins housing up to 8 guests each

Maximum capacity per passenger car is 56 with each train offering 3 cars so trains maxing out at a capacity of 168 guests.

HTF

Also just to clarify the side of the train that sticks out an extra 12-18 inches will house a much larger and more intricate display system than the side you enter the train from. Reason being obviously is you the guest will be right up on the large display and that's the direction creative wants you to focus for most of the ride. Also want to point out there are 3 entrances to each train car and the load platform is massive in order to keep things in order and moving fast. Think ToT load platform set up.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Also just to clarify the side of the train that sticks out an extra 12-18 inches will house a much larger and more intricate display system than the side you enter the train from. Reason being obviously is you the guest will be right up on the large display and that's the direction creative wants you to focus for most of the ride. Also want to point out there are 3 entrances to each train car and the load platform is massive in order to keep things in order and moving fast. Think ToT load platform set up.

Thanks for the info, this really does make a lot of sense, and I am glad that they went the cabin route. The movies do show both the normal seating and cabins, but the cabins are featured much more often so I think this is what people will expect. Do you know what the cycle time for the trains will be? If I assume a 10 minute turn around for each train that gives a capacity of 168 * 6 * 2 = 2016 per hour which is not to shabby.

TuffyCatt

All these pictures and info are amazing! Thank you all so much for sharing. I really am getting incredibly excited about this expansion - I need to start following it more, I didn't realize how quickly it was moving!

HTF

Thanks for the info, this really does make a lot of sense, and I am glad that they went the cabin route. The movies do show both the normal seating and cabins, but the cabins are featured much more often so I think this is what people will expect. Do you know what the cycle time for the trains will be? If I assume a 10 minute turn around for each train that gives a capacity of 168 * 6 * 2 = 2016 per hour which is not to shabby.

Higher PPH, much higher, well that's the goal anyways lol. Sorry don't know exact figures but I'm told highest capacity ride in park.

lazyboy97o

I would assume that unlike many older stations or the Walt Disney World Monorail System, the Hogwarts Express will feature level loading so that wheelchairs and scooters can go right on with the only additional assistance being to lock down the chair.

HTF

Any word yet on how they will handle strollers for one way trips?

This is one of the top questions I get that I honestly don't have clear answer for, but I will say this to spark conversation. I know for a fact that each station will have stroller parking or zones if you will. Now does that mean you can't bring your stroller? Does that mean they will handle your stroller for you? Or does that mean the Hogwarts Express will have a height requirement to deter little ones from being allowed to ride? I'll also say that the projected stroller zones are not that large.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
This is one of the top questions I get that I honestly don't have clear answer for, but I will say this to spark conversation. I know for a fact that each station will have stroller parking or zones if you will. Now does that mean you can't bring your stroller? Does that mean they will handle your stroller for you? Or does that mean the Hogwarts Express will have a height requirement to deter little ones from being allowed to ride? I'll also say that the projected stroller zones are not that large.[/

Thanks for sharing. Do you know how wheelchairs will be handled?

HTF

There will be ADA access lanes and specific cabins for required passengers. I'm not sure however if ADA access must be transferred from wheelchair to seats or if there will be access for those who cannot transfer chairs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom