HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This will do wonders for the parks reputation, 2 big new rides a whole new land and a massively increased footprint, with this addition I think it’s hard to argue that SDL is still better
Whilst I’ve yet to sample Shanghai personally, HKDL is coming on leaps and bounds to hold its own now. If and when something substantial and worthwhile comes to the Autopia plot I feel it will probe the naysayers wrong.

Attendance might even justify some part of the Village being built; though I still fear the vast majority of guests will either return to the MTR at closing or just go back to their on site hotel

Supersnow84

Whilst I’ve yet to sample Shanghai personally, HKDL is coming on leaps and bounds to hold its own now. If and when something substantial and worthwhile comes to the Autopia plot I feel it will probe the naysayers wrong.

Attendance might even justify some part of the Village being built; though I still fear the vast majority of guests will either return to the MTR at closing or just go back to their on site hotel
I feel like we circle this topic all the time (I personally don’t mind I love talking about this)

All they would need to do to start is build like a world of Disney, a Starbucks and maybe a restaurant in the north west quadrant and it would be cheap and easy

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I feel like we circle this topic all the time (I personally don’t mind I love talking about this)

All they would need to do to start is build like a world of Disney, a Starbucks and maybe a restaurant in the north west quadrant and it would be cheap and easy
I’m sure they’ve run the numbers and would do if they think it would be profitable, but it does seem a bit of a no brainer to build even just a phase one like you said.

Did any art or plans ever surface of the proposed original village area? The more I dig into HKDL history the more I’m intrigued (and can’t wait to see for myself)

Supersnow84

1D3C5AEB-6A96-4468-BBD4-1D7034EA9501.jpeg

MerlinTheGoat

The faces are vastly improved at least, though it otherwise certainly appears to be a very minimally altered clone of Epcot's variant.

I did notice that the lighting is entirely different. Epcot's variant uses fluorescent paint with dark lights, a very old school method traditional to dark rides. This Hong Kong variant however looks like some of its scenes are lit with normal lighting, unless that's just for the media shots (I doubt it though). I actually prefer dark lighting personally. It can disguise backstage areas more effectively and sometimes creates more vibrant painterly color. Also helps eliminate characters and props casting shadows on walls, which is useful if said walls are supposed to convey a forced perspective landscape stretching out for miles. Old fashioned maybe, but effective and beautiful in the proper hands. A good artist can work wonders and make it feel like you're traveling through a painting. But even modern attractions such as Navi River benefit heavily from using this type of lighting (Tiana could as well). Frozen Ever After unfortunately isn't the greatest use of this type of lighting due to the general lack of painted detail. There's a lot of blank white surfaces and blurry or black walls. Though it still does make the bluish glow of the snow pop a bit more than regular lighting.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I can’t really get over the fact they built this epic land, the ride has this epic facade / structure… and it’s just a Maelstrom clone? 💀
It's baffling when you consider the park desperately needs a headliner like a Shanghai Pirates or Indiana Jones Adventure.

The land looks ridiculously well executed, though, and will be a monumental improvement for the park by giving it the Fantasyland it deserves!

One can only hope Tomorrowland will see the entirety of the land redone with a headliner at some point.

Having Toy Story Mania find its way into Toy Story Land would be a welcome addition as well.

They really are lucky to have the little mountain there. The way it all blends with the natural environment is stunning.
It truly is a blessing, and that's especially the case in Adventureland!

MagicHK

A very interesting read on the Arendelle castle in the movie.

Also, the depth of the main castle building in the movie is quite slender too.
IMG_9865.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom