HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

ParkPeeker

This particular rough edit was done right before the castle was topped off. I’m nervous.

lazyboy97o

You're correct about the columns, but assuming they needed to be so thin for accessibility reasons (accurate, in-proportion columns would need to be much wider and significantly narrow the space between them), I can forgive the oddity in Fantasyland. Particularly in light of the rest of the land's grab bag of architecture and execution (from fiberglass "tournament tens" to timber framed "fairytale fachewerk").
Designing to the constraints of your site is a fairly basic tenant of architecture. I’m not sure how the mix of styles in Fantasyland is at all relevant. The castle contradicts itself.

ParkPeeker

Designing to the constraints of your site is a fairly basic tenant of architecture. I’m not sure how the mix of styles in Fantasyland is at all relevant. The castle contradicts itself.
I can tell you there are already signs that that back box has been slightly reworked. Hopefully the final design looks less odd.

RandySavage

My point is that HK fantasyland is not some brilliantly-rendered area (as Paris), so the new castle, defects and all, isn't a tacky McMansion plopped down in a formerly-pristine historic district.
6081233459_f9100c906e_b.jpg

I would happily take the new castle's absurdly thin columns (magic?) or contradictory elements over a good portion of the original HK Fantasyland aesthetic.

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

My point being that some of the facade "styles", if you can call them that, in HK Fantasyland are of such a low level, that I would happily take take the new castle's absurdly thin columns (magic?) or contradictory elements over them.
Signage in HKD is especially bad.

Most of them look extremely amateur.
Especially if you compare them to the other parks

ParkPeeker

My point being that some of the facade "styles", if you can call them that, in HK Fantasyland are of such a low level, that I would happily take take the new castle's absurdly thin columns (magic?) or contradictory elements over them.
Ha! I love that magic explanation xD. A stone structure couldn't support that so it's obviously a steel structure. Well unless it's magic of course.

ParkPeeker

My curiosity makes me want to edit the castle into Anaheim just to see how it would look down our Main Street.

I don’t want that thing cloned to our Disneyland for many reasons, I’m just curious. Pls don’t @ me.
I might even post it on the DL forums afterwards... maybe 😂💀.

halbjobri

I think the only issue I have with the castle at the moment (based on what I saw yesterday when visiting) is that the colours are too bright and light. The golden top roofing and the bottom turrets looked very light in colour, especially under the scorching Hong Kong sun. I would have preferred it if they stuck to a dark blue/dirty white & pink colour scheme that could ground and establish its presence more substantially, since now the castle seems to blend into the background under daylight.

lazyboy97o

My point is that HK fantasyland is not some brilliantly-rendered area (as Paris), so the new castle, defects and all, isn't a tacky McMansion plopped down in a formerly-pristine historic district.

I would happily take the new castle's absurdly thin columns (magic?) or contradictory elements over a good portion of the original HK Fantasyland aesthetic.
A tacky McMansion is still a tacky McMansion, even in a neighborhood full of tacky McMansions. Not being the worst design isn’t exactly a bar that will encourage any sort of improvement, just successive mediocrity.

BrianLo

The scale was ruined the moment they imported Disneyland into an environment with a real mountainous backdrop. The effect of Sleeping beauty's castled is amplified wonderfully by a miniature Matterhorn, it is dwarfed by real hills.

Main Street is what, 2/3rds scale? This castle is now also technically in the realm of 2/3rds.

Frankly, for me, this was always an improvement. I really disliked SBC in this setting long, long before this project.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I don’t think I’m liking how flat it’s profile looks from the other areas of the park. At the other magic kingdoms, the profiles of the castles have bulk and more dimension. It will take a little getting used to.

Amazing how the green hills are now dwarfed when standing at the hub.

ParkPeeker

I don’t think I’m liking how flat it’s profile looks from the other areas of the park. At the other magic kingdoms, the profiles of the castles have bulk and more dimension. It will take a little getting used to.
This is what I was talking about a few pages ago, and why I was glad they moved that blue domed tower forward a bit in the final design.
But one change I'm really happy about is the movement of the blue domed tower forward (not completely sure if the roofs beside/below it are also moved forward, but I hope they are).

why? because this gap between the old and new castle really bothered me.

Also it'll look a little less flat than the model does (let's be real, the added castle looks like a pancake from the side ). pls pls pls have the roofs that are attached to that tower also be moved forward a bit.

When they add that and remove the scrims on the back it may look a bit better

lazyboy97o

The scale was ruined the moment they imported Disneyland into an environment with a real mountainous backdrop. The effect of Sleeping beauty's castled is amplified wonderfully by a miniature Matterhorn, it is dwarfed by real hills.

Main Street is what, 2/3rds scale? This castle is now also technically in the realm of 2/3rds.

Frankly, for me, this was always an improvement. I really disliked SBC in this setting long, long before this project.
The idea of Main Street being ⅔ is just poor understanding of massing, scale and forced perspective. Full size isn’t a thing. The doors on Main Street aren’t 2’ wide and 4’-6” tall which is what they would be in a ⅔ scale replica of a typical building. The park being too small compared to its setting isn’t improved by a castle that is now too big for its immediate setting.

BrianLo

The idea of Main Street being ⅔ is just poor understanding of massing, scale and forced perspective. Full size isn’t a thing. The doors on Main Street aren’t 2’ wide and 4’-6” tall which is what they would be in a ⅔ scale replica of a typical building. The park being too small compared to its setting isn’t improved by a castle that is now too big for its immediate setting.

I understand that, but did the effect honestly truly work for you in Hong Kong? Main Street still convincingly feels like a quaint but functionally real Main Street. SBC felt like a miniature replica.

The new castle actually looks like a properly scaled castle in relation to the street and the mountains behind it. Too big would have been Shanghai, which tries to actually be a full sized castle. I actually still think this looks quaint.

lazyboy97o

I understand that, but did the effect honestly truly work for you in Hong Kong? Main Street still convincingly feels like a quaint but functionally real Main Street. SBC felt like a miniature replica.

The new castle actually looks like a properly scaled castle in relation to the street and the mountains behind it. Too big would have been Shanghai, which tries to actually be a full sized castle. I actually still think this looks quaint.
I thought the castle looked great against the mountains. Buildings being smaller than mountains isn’t crazy. Even Neuschwanstein, perched atop a mountain, has a mountain backdrop (the ad as I type this is for the Biltmore Estate, the largest house in the US, with the Blue Ridge Mountains filling the background). Scale in architecture is about the relationship to the human body, so the idea of being scaled to mountains is kind of nonsensical. The smaller scale having all of this stuff glommed onto creates a ripple effect in regards to massing and tectonics. It’s far too slender to be a stone construction with even an illusion of usable space inside, making it more like a miniature replica because it now is actually a miniature replica.

BrianLo

I thought the castle looked great against the mountains. Buildings being smaller than mountains isn’t crazy. Even Neuschwanstein, perched atop a mountain, has a mountain backdrop (the ad as I type this is for the Biltmore Estate, the largest house in the US, with the Blue Ridge Mountains filling the background). Scale in architecture is about the relationship to the human body, so the idea of being scaled to mountains is kind of nonsensical. The smaller scale having all of this stuff glommed onto creates a ripple effect in regards to massing and tectonics. It’s far too slender to be a stone construction with even an illusion of usable space inside, making it more like a miniature replica because it now is actually a miniature replica.

I actually thought the castle looked fine when you were up close. My issue is the assertion that it looks too big in relation to Main Street, that's what I've always had a problem with. It looks ok in isolation. It was comically dwarfed looking down the barrel of Main Street.

Main street sells the illusion of four stories. SBC is supposed to sell the illusion of 15 or so if it was recreating Neuschwanstein.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom