HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

AEfx

To be honest, my local friends were extremely impressed with frozen ever after, so although it still is an admittedly lazily copied ride, I think it would fare well with the local audience and people who don’t know that it is a cloned ride
That's good. And I am not one to actually hate on clones, generally - they make sense, the majority of people out there are never going to experience more than one Disney resort. While I value uniqueness as a fan, I also understand that people basically expect Disney to have the same rides everywhere, especially at Castle parks.

But this one just surprised me - because logistically, if the building itself was brand new, it would seem to me to be more difficult and limiting than just arranging the same sets in a new way.

I'm actually curious to see what the ride path looks like, if it really is pretty much the same, or if it just feels/looks that way.

AEfx

The showbuilding is quite a lot bigger than HKDL's and it is expected to be a different, bigger & better ride
I think this also added to my confusion - I thought this was the big impressive one, I confused it with the one coming from Tokyo.

That's good. And I am not one to actually hate on clones, generally - they make sense, the majority of people out there are never going to experience more than one Disney resort. While I value uniqueness as a fan, I also understand that people basically expect Disney to have the same rides everywhere, especially at Castle parks.

But this one just surprised me - because logistically, if the building itself was brand new, it would seem to me to be more difficult and limiting than just arranging the same sets in a new way.

I'm actually curious to see what the ride path looks like, if it really is pretty much the same, or if it just feels/looks that way.
I think that there are multiple slight differences. (Eg. the drop is on the left in the HK version while in EPCOT it's on the right) you also get an extra 2 minutes of track to space out the scenes better.

ParkPeeker

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that noticed that.

I kept stopping the video to make sure I was watching the right one, LOL.

It kind of boggles my mind, actually - I'd think it would be more of a pain to recreate it than to create something new.

I actually was decently impressed over here with what they were able to do with Malestrom to make it that much of a Frozen ride, but much less impressed when they started from scratch over there and built a whole land around it for what appears to be the nearly the same exact experience.

Oh well, at least for us in the stateside parks, we don't have to say "wow, the one in X-foreign park is so much better..." for this one.
It’s not really mind boggling to me cause they kinda did the same exact thing a decade ago when they copied our little mermaid ride 100% exactly (which itself was a repurposed building), dressed the outside up differently and plopped it into new fantasyland as the only other ride in the new land. At least this time around they actually improved the animatronics 😂

DLR92

Frozen ever After doesn’t look so bad. But it still feel sterile. The scene to the last drop is sincerely well done though. Look like a decent drop like Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland.

lazyboy97o

It’s not really mind boggling to me cause they kinda did the same exact thing a decade ago when they copied our little mermaid ride 100% exactly (which itself was a repurposed building), dressed the outside up differently and plopped it into new fantasyland as the only other ride in the new land. At least this time around they actually improved the animatronics 😂
The Little Mermaid ride was developed for both parks simultaneously. At Disney’s California Adventure, the Palace of Fine Arts Rotunda, which was a detached structure, is the only part that remained from Golden Dreams. The theater itself was demolished and replaced by a new, custom show building specifically designed for The Little Mermaid. The Magic Kingdom version opened with the updated animatronics (and show lighting) that replaced the original ones in California.

ParkPeeker

The Little Mermaid ride was developed for both parks simultaneously. At Disney’s California Adventure, the Palace of Fine Arts Rotunda, which was a detached structure, is the only part that remained from Golden Dreams. The theater itself was demolished and replaced by a new, custom show building specifically designed for The Little Mermaid. The Magic Kingdom version opened with the updated animatronics (and show lighting) that replaced the original ones in California.
Ah ok, didn’t know all that. But other than the weird hair animatronic, were any of the other ones actually updated?

BrianLo

There is also a cost saving element in the cloning that for better or worse HKDL needed to pull off. I’m pretty much the opposite of a champion for cloning, but this one makes reasonable sense when being pitched to their partner. HKDL just didn’t (until hopefully in the near future) have great cash flow for extremely robust expansion. Unlike OLC.

With OLC, Frozen is supposed to be the crown jewel of their three part expansion, versus HK this is merely the second piece of the pitched Marvel headliner.

The actual cop out is Walt Disney Studios Paris’ FEA. That one is all on Disney itself. Though I think the land itself turned out better than expected, there’s a difference between nestling it alongside Small World and Fantasyland vs making it the weenie of an entire lake and park revival.

J4546

i get that having a clone of frozen ride at Epcot is not what everyone here wants, but people in HK mostly havent seen this ride before and dont have a log flume in the park so its a new experience/ride system/theme for the HK locals. Im more perturbed that the Paris version is also a clone in a 1 ride land....esp for what seems to be the worst disney park out of them all, it needed way more that that.....and its still like 2 years away from opening lol

Dear Prudence

I am the biggest Frozen hater on the planet, but I have to say, I am completely blown away by Hong Kong's version of the attraction. I know it's just a few little things here and there, of an essentially copied attraction, but those little changes made a huge difference. They got me!

DLR92

I am the biggest Frozen hater on the planet, but I have to say, I am completely blown away by Hong Kong's version of the attraction. I know it's just a few little things here and there, of an essentially copied attraction, but those little changes made a huge difference. They got me!
The ending of Frozen is well done. A fume ride with a gentle flume drop is a nice addition to HKDL.

Haymarket

It would’ve been nice to have Anna and Elsa in the final scene in their Frozen 2 outfits.
I think it's supposed to be summer in the final scene of the ride. Frozen 2 seems to have taken place in autumn.

1000005427.jpg
1000005426.jpg
1000005428.jpg
1000005430.jpg

Last edited:

Supersnow84

I still don’t think we can really judge frozen on anything till something gets built to fill out the avengers e ticket

Frozen land to fix fantasyland, the castle, the new stage and the avengers take over of Tomorrowland were designed as a complete overhaul of the park to make it worth visiting as its own resort

It’s why I also think that it’s unfair to judge WDS purely off its messy frozen land because it’s also part of a wider revitalisation of the park, it’s bigger problem is it’s trying to serve as a Weinie and the anchor for the lake when it’s not up for that, HK doesn’t attempt to claim that title AND it’s land is better

AEfx

Yeah, I think my first impression was a bit harsh. Going back and looking again, and then directly comparing to Epcot's, it definitely is plussed up in the right places.

I think it was more a) my reaction to not realizing that it was going to be such a "clone" to begin with, and b) I haven't been following development terribly closely, and I thought this was the big "new" version we were waiting for (which apparently is coming to Tokyo).

momo123

So I’ve just done the park after two years.

Some of my thoughts below:

1. Wow, absolutely stunning this is probably up there with best lands I’ve ever visited the place just looks stunning and the use of the natural mountains and how seamless the whole thing is. It’s really really impressive.
2. FEA is disappointing to some extent (why couldn’t they have added maybe an extra scene or two like what happens with it’s a small world in different parks the scenes aren’t all identical), otherwise the ride is great the drop is way more exciting compared to florida.
3. The coaster really needed to be longer but the setting and finishing and thrill factor isn’t bad at all.
4. Rest of the park HK desperately needs to get a f ticket attraction. Or atleast a world class exclusive e ticket that is thrilling. Also this new land really shows how cheaply and poorly designed the original lands besides adventure land. I was thinking that if the avatar ride from DCA is built in HK it would be a disaster the park needs something new fresh exciting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom